GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Part IV - GM Alert "Staal is a Steal"! Marc that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Theres no way Staal would waive to go to Edmonton but I would absolutely love it. Everyone else is owning Chiarelli in trades, might as well try.

Staal definitely doesn't waive for Edmonton, unfortunately. Gorton would have to work his magic for that one.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'm not certain gorton traded stepan just to trade for RNH who has almost the same contract as Stepan did for the next 4 years.

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
What makes Duchene that much better of an investment than RNH? He's fast? RNH is younger. He had the same amount of points last year as Duchene. He has 4 years left vs 2 years left. Same cap hit pretty much. Both LH.

Well if you believe faceoffs wins matter, Duchene is one of the best and RNH is one of the worst and its not even close

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You mean that guy that literally every other organization in the league has and likely would not covet in any way, shape, or form? Yeah, its pretty comical.

Well at least he has more value than other guys I see added as if they are valuable pieces such as...

Tambellini
Halverson
Fogarty

All of whom I've seen considered 'mid level prospects' in trade proposals, but have the approximate value of a conditional 8th round pick.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well if you believe faceoffs wins matter, Duchene is one of the best and RNH is one of the worst and its not even close

A 2 year term is perfect for the Rangers. DDay is the McDonagh extension. That's when things can get very ugly. Two year "rent" Duchene while the window is open and then the Rangers can use that money that summer to help keep the captain.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Niklas Jensen may be a guy that steps in right out of camp.... Gropp is a dark horse for a 4th line role... but he's got the speed.

The Rangers spent time developing Nieves in the middle... but he did jack all after a good stretch to start in the AHL... they need to find another player.

It's a shame about Hrivik... this year there's finally openings and now he's gone.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Brassard
Zibanejad

Signings of Grabner, Desharnais and others.

Brassard and Zibanejad are not change of scenery players. They were good when we traded for them. Taking a gamble on free agents is one thing. Trading valuable pieces for overrated centers is a completely different scenario.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not certain gorton traded stepan just to trade for RNH who has almost the same contract as Stepan did for the next 4 years.

There's too many variables here to know this though...

Gorton just traded Stepan + Raanta for Andersson + DeAngelo + Shattenkirk

If RNH costs Nash only is that a win?

Nash is leaving anyways. 1 year left on his deal. If that's the cost of 4 years of a top-6 center it's far less than they just returned for Stepan.

Offseason would be:

Stepan + Raanta + Nash for Andersson + RNH + DeAngelo + Shattenkirk

Seems like a win?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There's too many variables here to know this though...

Gorton just traded Stepan + Raanta for Andersson + DeAngelo + Shattenkirk

If RNH costs Nash only is that a win?

Nash is leaving anyways. 1 year left on his deal. If that's the cost of 4 years of a top-6 center it's far less than they just returned for Stepan.

Offseason would be:

Stepan + Raanta + Nash for Andersson + RNH + DeAngelo + Shattenkirk

Seems like a win?

The Rangers need to keep Nash and let him expire (or trade him for futures) or their salary cap is toast.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
You guys act like the McDonough extension will be the death of us. He'll probably want what? 2M more annually? Not that big of a deal...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm not as high on RNH as some, but also not as down on him as most. His time at ES and on the PP has sharply declined over the last few seasons. Couple that with being used as the shutdown option for Edmonton, and I think that really explains his drop in production.

I liken him an awful lot to Brassard. People had written him off and it took a change of scenery for him to find his game in an optimal setting. Really comes down to what the price would be to get him. I think the coaching staff is going to have fits without a center to take the tougher match-ups.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ranger fans often say this guy wont waive or that guy wont waive their ntc but how many Rangers have refused to waive? We didn't even ask Gaborik until after his trade was agreed to by Columbus.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ranger fans often say this guy wont waive or that guy wont waive their ntc but how many Rangers have refused to waive? We didn't even ask Gaborik until after his trade was agreed to by Columbus.

I agree in general, but it would be a big ask for a kid who grew up in Ontario and has only played in NY to suddenly uproot and head out to Edmonton for three years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well at least he has more value than other guys I see added as if they are valuable pieces such as...

Tambellini
Halverson
Fogarty

All of whom I've seen considered 'mid level prospects' in trade proposals, but have the approximate value of a conditional 8th round pick.

You know it's a bad deal when two of the three pieces on our end are Ryan Graves and a 2nd. :laugh:

That's always been HF's favorite trade proposal: decent roster player + middling prospect/random third liner + 2nd.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
You mean that guy that literally every other organization in the league has and likely would not covet in any way, shape, or form? Yeah, its pretty comical.

Well isn't that the definition of a B level prospect ?

It's also the guy that became expendable when we traded for Deangelo, and signed Pionk and Bereglazov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad