GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Part IV - GM Alert "Staal is a Steal"! Marc that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Toronto just signed hyman. They are now over the cap $3.9m but they will probably send one down to the ahl that makes $635k. Still have to sign Connor Brown, he'll be their 23 roster player. Anything over $2m for him exceeds horton's LTIR.

They have a possible $4.5m in roster bonuses that if earned, can be pushed into next season. That's kadri's cap hit for a reference. Slightly more than bozak. Using LTIR means you don't stack cap space. $1m in cap space on day 1 could be a key addition at the trade deadline. The leafs know their best shot is with their kids on elc's. They can't go for it AND max out their cap before the puck drops.

The Lupul and Horton cap hits are the biggest on the team after Marleau. All their impact players are cheap. Fehr is their only cap dump at $2m. Kadri and Bozak may end up being a tough choice. They want to add a top 4 d but they don't have the space.

I would do a first round pick plus a B level prospect for Kadri.

He'd be a strong fit for this team.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I would gladly trade Miller or Buchnevich, Graves or Day and a 1st for Duchene.

Not a popular opinion, but it would be the right choice.

Not the "right choice" at all. What arrogance.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Hayes, Graves, 1st is what I would do for Duchene. Hayes is slow like Stepan. Goes with how Gorton wants the team. Any more than that and it isn't worth it.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Dreger said that it would take a top prospect (one whos probably played nhl games) along with a first round and then some for Matt Duchene.
Yep ok sure I'm gonna trade Skjei and a first plus some for Matt Duchene.
Great way to set this franchise back.

Hayes + Graves + 1st?

Too much for some people? We get a bit more dynamic with Duchene opposed to Hayes. Graves is a bit redundant. Dont like giving up the 1st though.

Edit: Great minds think alike ! Beat to the punch by Alluckks

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What makes Duchene that much better of an investment than RNH? He's fast? RNH is younger. He had the same amount of points last year as Duchene. He has 4 years left vs 2 years left. Same cap hit pretty much. Both LH.

People are willing to give high end assets for Duchene but not willing to take RNH as a cap dump or in a deal for Nash?

Not comprehending.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
What makes Duchene that much better of an investment than RNH? He's fast? RNH is younger. He had the same amount of points last year as Duchene. He has 4 years left vs 2 years left. Same cap hit pretty much. Both LH.

People are willing to give high end assets for Duchene but not willing to take RNH as a cap dump or in a deal for Nash?

Not comprehending.

When you put it that way.

Part of me wants to be patient and get a big bargain and another part just wants to land a top 6 center.

It's a risk to wait. We either find a desperate team or we are the desperate team.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Not comprehending.
I think they have both been underwhelming.

I'd rather RNH. Who is the better defensive player? Better on the dot? Who is the physically stronger player/plays more an edge?

I dont like either salaries

member 116805

Chaykaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Anyone keep up with Etem last year? Why'd he only play 4 games? What was the injury? Never mind, knee injury.

Was going to say it's because skates like he's got a poopy diaper. But ok, knee injury it is

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I would gladly trade Miller or Buchnevich, Graves or Day and a 1st for Duchene.

Not a popular opinion, but it would be the right choice.

Holy **** gutting the whole team for a 40 point center because he scores some pretty goals. Just sign Christensen for league minimum then. The Duchene love is ridiculous.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Not comprehending.

Absolutely nothing. RNH is a better option than Duchene, but both are worse than Stepan at a similar price tag. Makes no sense.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think they have both been underwhelming.

I'd rather RNH. Who is the better defensive player? Better on the dot? Who is the physically stronger player/plays more an edge?

I dont like either salaries

RNH is better defensively

Duchene is stronger

Duchene plays with a bit more edge, but neither bring that to their games.

I still think RNH is the type of player Gorton would be looking for. They did the same thing with Brassard and Zibanejad. Find a skilled young player who has been undervalued by their organization and strike to pluck then away for less than market value.

The Rangers, if they win anything, are going to do so based on their depth. Zib, Hayes, RNH is a VERY good top-3 center group. Even though they don't have a an elite player among them. All can be 45-65 point players. It allows AV to spread out the minutes and role multiple scoring lines.

He makes less than what Stepan was making for the same number of years. Get that kid out of Edmonton and I think he settles into a 55-60 point player perennially. To be fair, Duchene will too, I'm sure of it. The difference? Salic wants the moon for Duchene and has no need to move him. RNH is a devalued asset in Edmonton's eyes and must be moved in order to keep their new core together in Edmonton.

It's literally eerily similar to the Zib and Brassard situations with the only caveat being RNH is already signed for 4 more years while Brass and Zib needed to be re-upped one year in and their former teams were unwilling to invest properly in them as players.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Holy **** gutting the whole team for a 40 point center because he scores some pretty goals. Just sign Christensen for league minimum then. The Duchene love is ridiculous.

I would not consider a trade with Miller or Buchnevich as the centerpiece to be "gutting the whole team." Far from it.

Perhaps the fascination around Duchene is overblown, but the Rangers have had serious issues at center for years and they just lost their best center. Something needs to be done here.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Lupul & Horton clear ~$10M on LTIR for Tronna.

Hyman is an excellent player... one of the better utility guys out there... and a big part of Tronna's success last year.

They will need to be compliant, but I don't see them moving Kadri... he's too valuable for them.

Bozak they can live without, but the price for him will be a top 4 D.

They need someone that can slot in and play 20+ a night next to Gardiner.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not sure what Pageau wants but I'd love him in a trade.

Have been big on him way before he torched us

Same... and he's one of the leagues top PK option.

OTT won't trade him here methinks.

That guy is one of the best utility forwards with a two way game.

Another guy is Jay Beagle. Excellent 5v5 player and shutdown option.

Rangers don't have that on the roster. They need a center that can go up against top line competition.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'd stay away from RNH... the hockey IQ is what he was hyped up about, but I don't see a crafty smart player.

I see a guy that can light it up with elite wingers. But without them, he doesn't drive offense.

Cap Hit is way too high for him too.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I like that Graves has become the random, B-level prospect throw-in. There's always one.

You mean that guy that literally every other organization in the league has and likely would not covet in any way, shape, or form? Yeah, its pretty comical.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I could see RNH at 40% salary retained. RNH for anything under $4M AAV is probably a good gamble for us. With Strome, EDM def has too many centers now. Even Klein could make for a good acquisition for EDM should he not retire. They could use one more RD. The question is which winger would you send? I think Nash would be someone EDM would love to pair with McDavid and extend long term but not sure there is a match there.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
RNH is an incredibly unimpressive player both offensively and defensively who has progressively regressed since his rookie season.

He just had his worst year despite the Oilers having their best since he joined them. He went from having decent GF% on those terrible teams to being awful compared to his teammates. Almost all of RNH's teammates have better numbers away from him than with him. He did have underwhelming linemates the majority of last season (Lucic, Eberle, and Pouliot being his most common), but that doesn't excuse his awful numbers.

Absolutely no interest in RNH at 6M per. If Edmonton retained 50% and would take back Holden and a pick, I might consider it. Otherwise, absolutely not.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
RNH is an incredibly unimpressive player both offensively and defensively who has progressively regressed since his rookie season.

He just had his worst year despite the Oilers having their best since he joined them. He went from having decent GF% on those terrible teams to being awful compared to his teammates. Almost all of RNH's teammates have better numbers away from him than with him. He did have underwhelming linemates the majority of last season (Lucic, Eberle, and Pouliot being his most common), but that doesn't excuse his awful numbers.

Absolutely no interest in RNH at 6M per. If Edmonton retained 50% and would take back Holden and a pick, I might consider it. Otherwise, absolutely not.

Staal for RNH.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Staal for RNH.

Ideally the Oilers would clear future salary commitment in an RNH trade. Even Staal @ 50% doesn't make much sense for them, disregarding the fact that Staal has negative value, and probably does even at 50%.

I would do that deal, though. Obviously.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Theres no way Staal would waive to go to Edmonton but I would absolutely love it. Everyone else is owning Chiarelli in trades, might as well try.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ideally the Oilers would clear future salary commitment in an RNH trade. Even Staal @ 50% doesn't make much sense for them, disregarding the fact that Staal has negative value, and probably does even at 50%.

I would do that deal, though. Obviously.

meh...Chiarelli is a moron...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad