Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part III - Will EK stay or will EK go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Staal reversed a trend that he'd shown for multiple years, with two teams. I think he found an ideal fit in Minnesota and made it work. Sometimes that happens, but it's more the exception than the rule that a declining player bounced back that way at age 32 and 33.

Regarding Yandle. I just glanced at the numbers and his ppg totals with the Rangers were .56, compared to .59 with the Panthers.

While I agree that there are players I want to see in a different system, he hasn't exactly had renaissance in Florida either. And last I checked, they were Lottery team last year as well.

They missed by a point

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
A few thoughts:

1. For all this talk about EK being worth an exorbitant return, there's been a a bit of reluctance on the part of multiples teams to give up their top prospects --- not just the Rangers.

2. The return for taking on salary is not going to be Sergachev, or one of Tampa's top prospects. Tampa might be willing to move those pieces to Ottawa, something they weren't necessarily inclined to do 6 months ago. But they're not sending them to the Rangers.

3. Unless Ryan McD reverses the slide he's be on for the past few years, he's a borderline first pair defenseman at this point and probably more ideally suited for the second unit. Of course, that's today. One of the bigger issues that we're forgetting is how he looks two, three or five years down the road.

4. The Rangers system probably has more depth than at any point since the early 90s. But I think this next year is needed to give it even more firepower.

You're right about Ottawa being more deserving of the pick of Tampa's litter. They're the ones trading away their lone superstar.

I'd take back a lot of the negative stuff I've said about Gorton if he can pry away a kid like Foote, Katchouk or Raddysh.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
not excited about Foote

assuming 3 teams (TB) involved, then
$ deal where

unextended EK and Ryan to TB
they add 12ish m give up similar #

Staal, Smith, Foote, + to OTT
they net gain about 10m cap relief

JT Miller, Point, Callahan +
We take on significant 10m+ cap, but not Ryan, and that includes JT at 5+m.

sorry, too early to remember exactly what I said
too biz to go back and dig it up

Either we deal directly
or we get paid to grease the wheel
either way, we are using $ to get assets
This is historically awful, unrealistic, and a totally expected from you.

Ottawa get's royally ****ed as well.

Bern I'm still waiting for you to create a proposal that's not reminiscent of the **** I used to do in NHL 2004.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Datsyuk/Chychrun. Chayka specifically said he made the deal just to draft him.

Bolland/Crouse (not a defenseman but a blue chip at the time).

That's pretty close to a precedent.

Uhh... You may want to go back and look at what actually happened in that scenario. Arizona took on a cap hit of 7.5 million (no actual money involved) and only moved up 4 spots in the draft.

Also, by the time Crouse was traded there were some serious questions marks on what he could end up being.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Arizona traded a 2nd rounder to Detroit as well in that deal.

Would you give Tampa back their 2019 pick for Callahan and Foote?

I would.

Doubtful Tampa wins the Cup, so you're looking at the 59th or 60th pick for Foote. And two years of Callahan's expensive grit and shot blocking.

Callahan, Foote and a 2019 3rd for Their 2019 pick back. Then they can give Ottawa an unconditional 2019 1st and still keep their 2nd.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I would.

Doubtful Tampa wins the Cup, so you're looking at the 59th or 60th pick for Foote. And two years of Callahan's expensive grit and shot blocking.

Callahan, Foote and a 2019 3rd for Their 2019 pick back. Then they can give Ottawa an unconditional 2019 1st and still keep their 2nd.

You're comparison of Foote to Chychrun is ridiculous though (in terms of expecting that kind of return). Arizona didn't get Chychrun for taking on Datsyuk. They moved up 4 spots in the draft.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

I would.

I would.

Yzerman would not

Reactions: Lays

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You're right about Ottawa being more deserving of the pick of Tampa's litter. They're the ones trading away their lone superstar.

I'd take back a lot of the negative stuff I've said about Gorton if he can pry away a kid like Foote, Katchouk or Raddysh.

Foote might be heading to Ottawa if it isn't Sergachev who's part of the deal. So that one might not even be an option. I'd say Raddysh might be in the same boat.

Personally, I think we'd "theoretically" be looking at something more along the lines Stephens, the condition being removed from the 2019 first, and sweetener.

Though it is possible Tampa wants to ensure the first isn't going anywhere and looks to "acquire" it back. In that case, the cost goes up significantly and now you're talking about someone like Raddysh.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I would.

Foote is likely going to Ottawa as one of the main pieces. Don't see them getting Point or Sergachev.

I'm thinking Raddysh/Katchouk/Somppi are more realistic

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Nah, it's gotta be the stupid, complex, behind-the-scenes answer. It's obviously not that he has a NTC, is an UFA after this season, and is willing to only extend long-term for a few teams. Definitely can't be that.
Or the owner sitting across the table dictating the trade!

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Rangers are not here to provide any favors for any team. Tampa is desperate and wants this deal done yesterday. Why are we helping facilitate and aid the Lightning to have one of the best blue lines we have ever seen in the NHL, and enabling their potential cup runs for several years? I smell overpayment.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Uhh... You may want to go back and look at what actually happened in that scenario. Arizona took on a cap hit of 7.5 million (no actual money involved) and only moved up 4 spots in the draft.

Also, by the time Crouse was traded there were some serious questions marks on what he could end up being.

I know full well what happened.

A blue chip prospect was moved along with a salary dump. The real money thing is semantics. We're talking about the Rangers here.

Besides, Chychrun is a far superior prospect to Cholowski and Holland still is vilified for making that deal.

Karlsson is to Tampa what Datsyuk's contract was to Detroit. Both parties in desperation mode. Holland wanted to make a run at Stamkos. If getting a stud like Foote costs a later pick or swapping draft positions, so be it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Foote might be heading to Ottawa if it isn't Sergachev who's part of the deal. So that one might not even be an option. I'd say Raddysh might be in the same boat.

Personally, I think we'd "theoretically" be looking at something more along the lines Stephens, the condition being removed from the 2019 first, and sweetener.

Though it is possible Tampa wants to ensure the first isn't going anywhere and looks to "acquire" it back. In that case, the cost goes up significantly and now you're talking about someone like Raddysh.

Stephens+ the condition on the 1st being dropped is enough for me tbh

Reactions: Edge and Lays

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well Ottawa isn’t going to get all top 5 guys.

It’s likely they get 2, a roster player and picks.

Still room for us to get a prospect from them.
Maybe?

But Ottawa/Tampa is going to have priority. Rangers will be stuck with the leftovers. That's not worth picking up a bad contract with term.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Maybe?

But Ottawa/Tampa is going to have priority. Rangers will be stuck with the leftovers. That's not worth picking up a bad contract with term.

Not necessarily. That deal doesn't happen unless we eat salary.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well the cap space is a huge factor in this. Ottawa wants to get rid of Ryan; Tampa needs to get rid of Callahan for Karlsson, likely Johnson and Killorn to resign Kucherov.

The Rangers don't have any critical piece up for a massive extension except Kreider in two years. Skjei too if he has a huge year or two that will cost UFA years.

Tampa has enough assets to please both Ottawa and the Rangers. Foote, Katchouk, Raddysh, Cirelli, Sergachev are their best prospects. Ottawa has several blue chippers but they dealt away Bowers and their 2019 first for Duchene, so it's doubtful they will part with anyone south of 22. I think they woukd rather eat Ryan's deal than move another prospect.

I think taking on Callahan should cost Tampa Sergachev, but Ottawa likely wants him too. Yzerman in 3-4 years won't be able to afford him anyway.

I'd be fine with Foote and Lipanov, or a 2020 1st and Raddysh or Katchouk.
I think Foote is a non-starter. He was off limits for McDonagh, so if he is in this deal we will be going to Ottawa. Same with Sergachev.

Raddysh's stock has gone down quite a bit if I am not mistaken. Katchouck and Lipanov are two more that Ottawa may have dibs on.

Again I'm not seeing it

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's entirely plausible that Ottawa has a 2019 first as a requisite in a Karlsson deal. If Gorton knows that -- which he undoubtedly would -- then he holds a ton of leverage and should take Yzerman to the cleaners. Likely Raddysh or Katchouk since I'm sure either Foote or Sergachev are going to Ottawa and Tampa probably won't sacrifice both.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Win cup = 1st
Do not win cup = 2nd

We should definitely take a bad contract from them. Get a pick/prospect in return plus make them just about a favorite for the Cup and potentially get that 1st rounder too.

How good would it be if we get Raddysh, they win the Cup and we get their 1st.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not necessarily. That deal doesn't happen unless we eat salary.
Ottawa is taking enough of a bath on this. They aren't going to trade their best player in division, and settle for the prospect B list.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I guess I value that conditional pick differently than others, if the cap dump allows them to get Karlsson I'm thinking the odds of that pick turning to a 1st on it's own go up enough that I am only looking to make it a guaranteed 1st if they are attaching a legit over payment.

If they are looking to get that pick back to send it to Ottawa, I'm actually looking for an even larger over payment as they are sending that pick in lieu of something else they do not want to send.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad