Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part III - Will EK stay or will EK go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So let's assume the Rangers knew they had a deal or two lined up in the off-season to take on a bad contract when they dealt away Miller + McDonagh at the deadline. So this season, McDonagh makes $4.7m and Miller makes $5.25m for a total of $9.95m. Namestnikov makes $4m. That leaves $5.95m to take on a bad contract now available that wasn't before.

So let's assume, they take on Callahan @ $5.8m and receive Volkov + TB 3rd '19 + TB 2nd '20(condition being the '19 pick already received remains at a 2nd) or something along those lines.

The deal then looks like:

McDonagh + Miller for Namestnikov + Hajek + Howden + Volkov + TB 1st '18 + TB 2nd '18 + TB 3rd ' 18 + TB 2nd '20 + Callahan

basically what I am saying is that, if Gorton can swing a deal for a cap dump, McDonagh/Miller deal helped to create the space to make that possible. Similar line of thinking to when the Rangers traded Gomez for Higgins + McDonagh and then used the same exact cap hit on a free agent in Gaborik. The trade, for all intents and purposes, became Gomez for McDonagh + Higgins + Gaborik

Yep. just like Stepan for the 7th overall + ADA is actually Stepan for 7th Overall + ADA + Shattenkirk. It's simply reallocation of $.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I do wonder if the rangers are indeed looking to trade that first back to Tampa AND take back Cally for something a lot bigger....Foote?

It’s an interesting variation on the whole idea, to be sure.

Although I’m not as big of a fan of Foote as others, I would still absolutely do that.

Reactions: Inferno

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
They could, but that doesn't really do anything for anybody.

Tampa is not trading for one year of Karlsson. They will want to extend him. Getting rid of the final two years of Callahan's contract will go further to helping that than us retaining 50% on EK65.

Tampa will have to pay more for that, but they will be more than willing.

There is no point in doing so.

I think they might be, though... Think about it. They already have $43M tied up in 7 players next season. Add Kucherov and Karlsson to that and you are at $65M or so... This does not include Paquette or Point signing extensions. Assuming a salary cap of $80M, how the f*** are they supposed to ice a team if Karlsson signs an extension? Sergachev needs a contract/will be eligible for expansion in the season following that. Are they going to lose him for nothing? Are they going to bridge contract him? Why so they can trade him 2 years later for a measly return?

Having that much money on their blue line long term could hamper them for years.

Deleted member 23124

Same with Yandle. He just had the highest point total of his career, numbers we couldn't even have imagined him putting up with his usage under AV.
Sorry to disappoint you...Yandle's highest career point total was in 2010.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Sorry to disappoint you...Yandle's highest career point total was in 2010.

Right, and he had a dip in production under AV and then got back on track once he got out. Just like Staal.

Just like I'm sure McDonagh will as well.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Kucherov walks, Rangers need to throw a blank check at him and Panarin next offseason.

That'd be an insane add

I do think they'll choose Kucherov over EK. McD extension kinda made that decision for them.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
They'll lose several defenseman next year and I bet u they'll move other players to fit in kucherov. They'd be nuts not to.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It’s an interesting variation on the whole idea, to be sure.

Although I’m not as big of a fan of Foote as others, I would still absolutely do that.

Back when he was a name floated around in February, I said he was a very good second pair prospect. I still feel that way.

I like him a lot, but he's also not the end-all, be-all for me.

Reactions: Inferno

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I know full well what happened.

A blue chip prospect was moved along with a salary dump. The real money thing is semantics. We're talking about the Rangers here.

Besides, Chychrun is a far superior prospect to Cholowski and Holland still is vilified for making that deal.

Karlsson is to Tampa what Datsyuk's contract was to Detroit. Both parties in desperation mode. Holland wanted to make a run at Stamkos. If getting a stud like Foote costs a later pick or swapping draft positions, so be it.

Now you're moving the goal posts as your original statement was highly inaccurate. The fact is, Arizona moved up 4 spots with the Datsyuk deal. There were serious question marks with Crouse when he was moved.

This is another example of people creating outrageous expectations for JG and co. and when they inevitably don't meet them (because they are ridiculous and nearly impossible to meet), they have an excuse to pile it on.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Right, and he had a dip in production under AV and then got back on track once he got out. Just like Staal.

Just like I'm sure McDonagh will as well.

This narrative makes no sense.

Yandle went 5-42-47 in his 1 full season with the Rangers. Playing 19:58 per game.

2 seasons with Florida have been 5-36-41 (22:02 TOI) and 8-48-56. (24:29 TOI).

His career per season average is 46 points.

His season with the Rangers is right in line with everything he has done during his career. There is no "dip". There was no "career season" last year. Yandle is consistently what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad