Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part III - Will EK stay or will EK go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Russian invasion if they can add him with Shestyorkin, Kravstov and Rykov all at once.
Rangers new third jersey:
team-russia-iihf-jersey.jpg

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Depends on the assets we receive to eat the contract, no?
What assets? The ones that neither Ottawa nor Tampa want? Neither team has their first round pick. Ottawa's system is nothing special. Tampa already gave the Rangers a ton at the deadline. What's left? In my opinion, not enough to eat that much money, especially with an extra year of term

Reactions: cheech70

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What assets? The ones that neither Ottawa nor Tampa want? Neither team has their first round pick. Ottawa's system is nothing special. Tampa already gave the Rangers a ton at the deadline. What's left? In my opinion, not enough to eat that much money, especially with an extra year of term
Well, in theory, we could make sure that the pick we have from Tampa becomes a first. Because you know they don't have a first because it's conditional the 2nd rounder we got from them, right? So we can make that definite. Then we get a prospect or two. One if it's G, two if it's Callahan. That's the Paul Revere story, right?

It'll cost the Rangers nothing but cap space, which if they're not trying to compete, they don't plan on using anyway. They'll have space for Panarin, if that's the move, or be in a position to make the move to have the space. I wouldn't worry about that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They have the extra space and can get an additional asset or 2 by using said space to take on some salary.

This is exactly what they should be doing. Toronto did this when they were in the same position we are.

This is coming from someone who hates Callahan and would rather not see him wear the Rangers jersey again.
There is a quote from Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle regarding the anatomy of a moose that applies to this situation. Just because you have it doesnt mean you have to use it. It's not about it being Callahan or not. Its a bad contract and a waste of cap money.

Which of those assets from Toronto that they acquired is why they are contenders now? Besides the Cap Space to sign Tavares that it created?

You don't treat the Cap like monopoly money

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
There is a quote from Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle regarding the anatomy of a moose that applies to this situation. Just because you have it doesnt mean you have to use it. It's not about it being Callahan or not. Its a bad contract and a waste of cap money.

Which of those assets from Toronto that they acquired is why they are contenders now? Besides the Cap Space to sign Tavares that it created?

So you think having Callahan would prevent us from signing someone that would make us a contender?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tell me where my calculations are off.

Panarin(9)-Chytil(.925)-Kravtsov(.925)
Kreider(4.625)-Zibanejad(5.35)-Buchnevich(4.75)
Andersson(.925)-Hayes(6)-Howden(.925)
Callahan(5.8)-?(.925)-Fast(1.85)
13th F(.925)

Skjei(4.5)-Shattenkirk(6.65)
Staal(5.7)-Pionk(.925)
Rykov(.925)-Smith(4.35)
Lindgren(.925)

Hank(8.5)
Igor(.925)

2018-19 Cap=79.5
Cap of this team+buyout money=76.325+3.6=79.925

Only variables here would be the contracts of Skjei, Buchnevich and Hayes. Are my estimates off of what they'll get? We'd also have to move Namestnikov's 1 year, 4M remaining, but could opt to not bring Hayes back instead. Zuccarello and Panarin aren't going to play on the same team, so you gotta make a decision there, but I think its an easy decision. No way I'd bring Zucc back anyway.

Outside of that, that team gets pretty close to the 2018-19 cap, and its hard to think the cap wouldn't go up any. So I think we could make that team work cap-wise. The year after, Callahan's money would come off, that could be used for raises to Kreider and Fast. Maybe if we don't bring back Hayes and Namestnikov leaves after the end of his two year contract, we could finance the RFA deals for Pionk, Chytil, Andersson. Otherwise, we probably have to buyout Staal or Smith's contract.

We actually have a lot of contracts coming off after 20-21. Does anyone know who are the projected free agents for the 2021 offseason? Because we could probably take a run at a 10-15M+ player. At the very least, we'll have Hank, Smith, Staal and Shattenkirk coming off at that time, if they aren't traded or bought out. Thats 25.2M off the books.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well, in theory, we could make sure that the pick we have from Tampa becomes a first. Because you know they don't have a first because it's conditional the 2nd rounder we got from them, right? So we can make that definite. Then we get a prospect or two. One if it's G, two if it's Callahan. That's the Paul Revere story, right?

It'll cost the Rangers nothing but cap space, which if they're not trying to compete, they don't plan on using anyway. They'll have space for Panarin, if that's the move, or be in a position to make the move to have the space. I wouldn't worry about that.
Again, those arent prime assets. 31st pick in the draft to create an eastern conference super team and eat 6m? No thank you. Also the Lightning are going to have to send their top assets to Ottawa. So you arent getting the right asset there either. The juice isnt worth the squeeze

Reactions: wafflepadsave

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I agree. That's why I'm not wasting almost 6m on Callahan
I'm turning into a broken record but our cap dump player has to be Strahlman. Expires this year, RD, good deadline asset, organization need for us, the glut spot for Tampa, enough cap to fit Karlsson +, probably a location approved on his limited NTC.

Reactions: jas

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Tell me where my calculations are off.

Panarin(9)-Chytil(.925)-Kravtsov(.925)
Kreider(4.625)-Zibanejad(5.35)-Buchnevich(4.75)
Andersson(.925)-Hayes(6)-Howden(.925)
Callahan(5.8)-?(.925)-Fast(1.85)
13th F(.925)

Skjei(4.5)-Shattenkirk(6.65)
Staal(5.7)-Pionk(.925)
Rykov(.925)-Smith(4.35)
Lindgren(.925)

Hank(8.5)
Igor(.925)

2018-19 Cap:79.5
Cap of this team+buyout money=76.325+3.6=79.925

Only variables here would be the contracts of Skjei, Buchnevich and Hayes. Are my estimates off of what they'll get? We'd also have to move Namestnikov's 1 year, 4M remaining, but could opt to not bring Hayes back instead. Zuccarello and Panarin aren't going to play on the same team, so you gotta make a decision there, but I think its an easy decision. No way I'd bring Zucc back anyway.

Outside of that, that team gets pretty close to the 2018-19 cap, and its hard to think the cap wouldn't go up any. So I think we could make that team work cap-wise. The year after, Callahan's money would come off, that could be used for raises to Kreider and Fast. Maybe if we don't bring back Hayes and Namestnikov leaves after the end of his two year contract, we could finance the RFA deals for Pionk, Chytil, Andersson. Otherwise, we probably have to buyout Staal or Smith's contract.

If Hayes is getting $6m trade him. He does not deserve more than Zibanejad.

Reactions: jas

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This is such flawed thinking.

It doesn't matter if the assets turned into prime pieces for Toronto. Just because it played out that way for them doesn't mean that it will turn out that way for the Rangers. I'd rather have an abundance of assets than an abundance of cap space just sitting around.

It's a short term commitment that won't hamstring this team towards doing ANYTHING over the next 2 seasons. They have other ways they can clear salary including but not limited to buying out Callahan. They'll trade other guys on the roster between now and then anyway, so I don't see what the issue is.

The contract sucks, the player sucks, but so does this team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm turning into a broken record but our cap dump player has to be Strahlman. Expires this year, RD, good deadline asset, organization need for us, the glut spot for Tampa, enough cap to fit Karlsson +, probably a location approved on his limited NTC.
That's fine. I just dont want anyone with term

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Whomp Whomp

This sounds very much as a third party hang-up, ie Tampa and Ottawa could reach an agreement, that would have been executed should they be able to work something out with a third party. Then that turned out to be harder than anticipated.

Did Yzerman count on Gorton being a push over again? Good for Gorton to be able to draw a line somewhere.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Which FA next year will we not be able to afford for the one free agency of having Callahan on our roster?

Karlsson, if he gets to UFA. Thats unless Hayes, Zucc, Namestnikov and Spooner, probably Vesey as well because he'll get something ridiculous like 2.5-3M, aren't on the roster.

I think a lot of people forget that we still have a 3.6M buyout for Girardi to pay, so you might as well make Callahan's cap hit 9.4M for that season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is such flawed thinking.

It doesn't matter if the assets turned into prime pieces for Toronto. Just because it played out that way for them doesn't mean that it will turn out that way for the Rangers. I'd rather have an abundance of assets than an abundance of cap space just sitting around.

It's a short term commitment that won't hamstring this team towards doing ANYTHING over the next 2 seasons. They have other ways they can clear salary including but not limited to buying out Callahan. They'll trade other guys on the roster between now and then anyway, so I don't see what the issue is.

The contract sucks, the player sucks, but so does this team.
You are the one that used Toronto as an example. I'd rather take the chance on a 6m player than roll the dice on a C+ asset and lock up cap in a summer where they want to spend it. I'd rather have the cap space than such assets. The Rangers loaded up assets last year. Now it's time to get some established players in. Gorton doesnt want all the assets on the same ELC schedule either. Rangers need to spend this summer. Cap Space is THE asset

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Karlsson, if he gets to UFA. Thats unless Hayes, Zucc, Namestnikov and Spooner, probably Vesey as well because he'll get something ridiculous like 2.5-3M, aren't on the roster.

If we take on Callahan, it is likely it is part of a trade to make Karlsson a member of the Lightning for the rest of his career.

Even that aside, I think it is almost certain that at least two of the names you listed above will not be on the team next year. I think there is a 50/50 chance three of those names will not be on the team next year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You are the one that used Toronto as an example. I'd rather take the chance on a 6m player than roll the dice on a C+ asset and lock up cap in a summer where they want to spend it. I'd rather have the cap space than such assets. The Rangers loaded up assets last year. Now it's time to get some established players in. Gorton doesnt want all the assets on the same ELC schedule either. Rangers need to spend this summer. Cap Space is THE asset

We need more assets.

Cap space is THE asset but if you don't use it, it's really not. If you don't like the Toronto example, Arizona did this too and got some pretty nice pieces out of it.

Again, who is Callahan going to prevent them from signing?

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce