Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part III - Will EK stay or will EK go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It might. You dont know how their budget is laid out; not that I do either. Also I'd rather have the 5.8m than Ryan Callahan. That's almost 6m that you wont be able to use elsewhere. Its a waste, especially when you know you can get talent via FA. I can get a bottom six get for closer to the minimum than 6m.
Yeah but we're rebuilding which somehow means we have to have dead cap for some reason.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
It might. You dont know how their budget is laid out; not that I do either. Also I'd rather have the 5.8m than Ryan Callahan. That's almost 6m that you wont be able to use elsewhere. Its a waste, especially when you know you can get talent via FA. I can get a bottom six get for closer to the minimum than 6m.

of course, that's why the consensus is that we need to get some assets well above the quality of players that we can get via free agency.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
It looks like EK is leaving, and no surprise since Ottawa is obviously aiming for a new rebuild attempt. Ottawa and Rangers are almost in the same boat with just start of a new rebuild, and hence why we should not try to sign EK when he become a free agent. But I`m certain their GM would like assets in return for EK hence why they try to sign him, but EK refused his latest contract offer.

can't wait for the Dorion/Melnyk presser where they say "we had a good run".

Reactions: Ori

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

Another reason the Rangers should have no incentive to be involved.

I actually agree unless we are getting a major piece I want nothing to do with taking bad contracts.

But we 100 percent should have been in hard on karlsson and offered skjei and Hayes to do it

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
Yeah but we're rebuilding which somehow means we have to have dead cap for some reason.
Meh Cap space is an assets just like anything else. I would happily “trade” some cap space for a high quality prospect or pick. If Gorton doesn’t plan on spending it and it doesn’t impact the future of the Org I would look for some ROI.

Reactions: Thirty One

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
of course, that's why the consensus is that we need to get some assets well above the quality of players that we can get via free agency.
They wont in an Ottawa/Tampa deal. There arent enough assets to go around.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If we can get tangible assets in exchange for cap space, and then in due time, retain salary on an expiring deal to gain more assets, I'm all for it. Nothing longer than a 2 year deal. Contract would come off the books in roughly 20 months (next year TDL).

EX: Trade for Callahan and get a pick and prospect in return to take his 5.8 cap hit and then at the 2020 TDL, retain 50% of his salary to get another pick as a rental player.

There is a decent chance we're not a cup contending team in 20 months, so we can always accumulate assets. Also having those assets allows us to make other kinds of moves. Opens up possibilities to trade up in the drafts or to move out picks for roster players.

Reactions: What Door

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean you can take dead cap but not if it has term. That's why I wanted to do the Mason/Armia deal that Montreal did.

I'm not taking term in a summer where Panarin, who we know wants to come here, and Seguin, who won't stay in Dallas if the underachieve again, are going to hit FA. Its dumb.

Reactions: Machinehead

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
But why? The negative of a Callahan trade by far outweighs the positive.

They have the extra space and can get an additional asset or 2 by using said space to take on some salary.

This is exactly what they should be doing. Toronto did this when they were in the same position we are.

This is coming from someone who hates Callahan and would rather not see him wear the Rangers jersey again.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
FWIW, Callahan camp had not been approached to give his list, so yeah. I mean can always change but don’t think he was the target.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd be fine with eating Girardi's hit to make the conditional pick we already have a definite first, and Stephenson. If we're taking on Callahan, I'd take the same package plus another piece.

HOWEVER

If the trade is for an extended Karlsson, I want the ****ing moon for that shit.

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce