GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Why do people want to sign goons who can't play hockey ?

We are a big team now.

We don't need some NHL goon to clog up a roster spot.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The Habs could sign Zenon Konopka (C), David Steckel (C) or Kyle Beach (C) they can all fight, the first two are good @ faceoffs in case of injuries. Sign them to two way contracts like they have been the last couple of yrs. Beach is the only young one and a former 1st round pick of Chicago.:nod:

not goona happen....PED use

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
NO MORE DEPTH PLAYERS, we have arguably one of the best bottom 2 lines in the east, last thing we need is more depth guys.

Bourque - Eller - PAP/Weise/Ghetto/Sekac

Prust/Bourny - Malhotra/Bourny - Weise

and thats not even including Moen

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
I'm wondering what will happen with all the centers we have. I want Galchenyuk to start next season at Center. Now with we have Eller, Plakanec, DD, Galchenyuk and Malhotra...

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Can anyone tell me why Andrei Loktionov isn't signed yet? Could be an interesting reclamation project.

So now that we are on our way to be smurf free, you want to add this guy? Your Centers can't be guys that will be constantly be on the losing end of the pushing around.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think people here are dillusional if they think a true HW enforcer has no role in today's NHL. Last year games against Toronto Boston Ottawa and Buffalo would have had a totally different twist without Parros and Murray as deterrents to the cement heads on those clubs.

As long as teams in our division have HW, you need that player...at 600-800k and a roster spot, it's a cheap investment in not getting your young/small/skill guys not beat up or intimidated.
They are always going to have a role, that is to fight. Just how important it is to have a person on your team that fills that role is the real question.

The answer should be pretty darn evident by now, it's 99% useless. With the current rules, Parros, Scott, McLaren, they are useless for the vast, vast majority of the time.
Those big guys play like 5min. That's right, 5 freaking minutes out of 60, sometimes 65. Nobody is scared of that.
Lucic? Chara? Ya, okay, I can understand how some guys get intimidated to play 15-30min versus them. Although, we were the smallest team in the NHL last year and we never looked intimidated once with or without Parros.
People have to stop believing there's this mythical aura coming from an enforcer sitting on the bench for 55min that just feeds the rest of the team.

We did not play any differently last year from the year before whenever we played Boston or Toronto. We have no problem beating those teams with or without one.
I don't understand how somebody can really believe that Plekanec is more courageous to go into the corners versus Chara because Parros is giving him super powers from the bench. It's such a fantasy fans have built up in their heads.

Enforcers change nothing. I would actually argue that having to play with 12 forwards for 55min of game is not better than having guys like Weise, Prust or Bournival in that can play between 10-14min and do a pretty good job.
A pure enforcer actually makes your team worse. Of course, if your 13th forward is an AHL Dman, then okay, might as well put the enforcer in.

I will say however that if you're in a division that plays nasty hockey with a bunch of enforcers, then I agree, get one. Not necessarily saying to dress him, but having the option is always better than not.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
I'm wondering what will happen with all the centers we have. I want Galchenyuk to start next season at Center. Now with we have Eller, Plakanec, DD, Galchenyuk and Malhotra...

Malhotra is perfect for 4th line.

If Galchenyuk shows he can consistently play in our first 2 lines, the center that underperforms : Eller, Plekanec or DD will be traded.

And by underperform I mean two things: a) in respect of the money he is being paid and b) in respect of the role he is assigned.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
They are always going to have a role, that is to fight. Just how important it is to have a person on your team that fills that role is the real question.

The answer should be pretty darn evident by now, it's 99% useless. With the current rules, Parros, Scott, McLaren, they are useless for the vast, vast majority of the time.
Those big guys play like 5min. That's right, 5 freaking minutes out of 60, sometimes 65. Nobody is scared of that.
Lucic? Chara? Ya, okay, I can understand how some guys get intimidated to play 15-30min versus them. Although, we were the smallest team in the NHL last year and we never looked intimidated once with or without Parros.
People have to stop believing there's this mythical aura coming from an enforcer sitting on the bench for 55min that just feeds the rest of the team.

We did not play any differently last year from the year before whenever we played Boston or Toronto. We have no problem beating those teams with or without one.
I don't understand how somebody can really believe that Plekanec is more courageous to go into the corners versus Chara because Parros is giving him super powers from the bench. It's such a fantasy fans have built up in their heads.

Enforcers change nothing. I would actually argue that having to play with 12 forwards for 55min of game is not better than having guys like Weise, Prust or Bournival in that can play between 10-14min and do a pretty good job.
A pure enforcer actually makes your team worse. Of course, if your 13th forward is an AHL Dman, then okay, might as well put the enforcer in.

I will say however that if you're in a division that plays nasty hockey with a bunch of enforcers, then I agree, get one. Not necessarily saying to dress him, but having the option is always better than not.

If having a guy like that in your lineup makes everybody play 2-3 inches bigger, then it's very much worth whatever the cost is.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that an enforcer's presence as much as his ice time or winning fights is what protects and insulates his teammates.

If Scott Kassian Orr McLaren and co no longer have an NHL job then maybe it won't be worth the investment, but last season, those guys were all in the NE division.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($2.500m) / Jiri Sekac ($0.925m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Manny Malhotra ($0.850m) / Dale Weise ($1.025m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($8.500m)
Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Tom Gilbert ($2.800m)
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) / Mike Weaver ($1.750m)
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,188,333; BONUSES: $3,472,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,811,667
--------

Have a feeling we are going to re-sign Bouillon and let Tinordi had back to the minors. Just a sad, unfortunate hunch. Cannot see us signing any more forwards unless we trade Desharnais or Plekanec.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think it's more likely Pateryn stays up after camp and Tinordi gets sent down to play 30 minutes a night and gets called up when Beaulieu fails. Wouldn't surprise me if Tinordi was even named captain of the Bulldogs.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If Galchenyuk shows he can consistently play in our first 2 lines, the center that underperforms : Eller, Plekanec or DD will be traded.

And by underperform I mean two things: a) in respect of the money he is being paid and b) in respect of the role he is assigned.

People don't realize that if Galchenyuk was put at center to start next year, he would have to start at #3-4. He's better off to get top 6 minutes with Plekanec with less defensive responsibility and no faceoff responsibility. He can still be the "center" on that line and set up plays, hopefully taking the next step offensively. Once his offense is at the top 6 level, THEN you can challenge him on finer points of playing center in the NHL(defensive zone coverage and faceoffs).

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

So the big franchise centre man the habs have so desperately wanted and needed for ages will only get a chance if the other 3 under perform? Makes zero sense. Galchenyuk looks lost on the wing. He's a natural centre and should play there. MB needs to move one of those 3 or Galchenuyk will never hit his potential. DD and Eller should fill in if Galchenuyk under performs, not vice versa

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
People don't realize that if Galchenyuk was put at center to start next year, he would have to start at #3-4. He's better off to get top 6 minutes with Plekanec with less defensive responsibility and no faceoff responsibility. He can still be the "center" on that line and set up plays, hopefully taking the next step offensively. Once his offense is at the top 6 level, THEN you can challenge him on finer points of playing center in the NHL(defensive zone coverage and faceoffs).

No, you play him in the top six assuming Plekanec or Desharnais are the ones to go. This idea of perpetually needing to shelter Galchenyuk is only going to be a detriment at some point. He cannot learn to be the elite centre we covet if he is never given the opportunity to not only play meaningful minutes, but make mistakes. Say what you will about Kadri, but Toronto is playing him properly and I doubt Buffalo is going to have Reinhart start on the wing, same with Horvat in Vancouver.

It' been three years. Give the kid a chance.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Olli jokinen to nashville

I'm still a little shocked at how much this guy has fallen off. I know he's been in the league for a really, really long time now (even if he's only 35) but there was a time this guy was one of the top players and scorers in the league.

He's never been as good as he was in Florida. Now he seems to bounce around from team to team and is just mediocre... He used to be THE GUY I wanted on the Habs, more than anyone else. Big centre, big time goal scoring potential, physical, etc...

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Who do you guys want if we lose out on Vrbata?

I would target:
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Booth
Taylor Pyatt
David Moss

pretty slim pickings tbh...would almost rather do a trade

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm still a little shocked at how much this guy has fallen off. I know he's been in the league for a really, really long time now (even if he's only 35) but there was a time this guy was one of the top players and scorers in the league.

He's never been as good as he was in Florida. Now he seems to bounce around from team to team and is just mediocre... He used to be THE GUY I wanted on the Habs, more than anyone else. Big centre, big time goal scoring potential, physical, etc...

6 playoff games in 16 yrs....

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Who do you guys want if we lose out on Vrbata?

I would target:
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Booth
Taylor Pyatt
David Moss

pretty slim pickings tbh...would almost rather do a trade

I'd much rather Winnik than any of the guys listed.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
No, you play him in the top six assuming Plekanec or Desharnais are the ones to go. This idea of perpetually needing to shelter Galchenyuk is only going to be a detriment at some point. He cannot learn to be the elite centre we covet if he is never given the opportunity to not only play meaningful minutes, but make mistakes. Say what you will about Kadri, but Toronto is playing him properly and I doubt Buffalo is going to have Reinhart start on the wing, same with Horvat in Vancouver.

It' been three years. Give the kid a chance.

This... kind of. If Vrbata comes in, then Plek isn't going anywhere and DD isn't going anywhere as long as Max is here, so, who's the odd man out? Eller...

Vrbata comes in, Sekac or one of the other kids get time at wing and Chuck moves to center. Eller is tradebait at the deadline to fill gaps that are apparent by midseason.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This... kind of. If Vrbata comes in, then Plek isn't going anywhere and DD isn't going anywhere as long as Max is here, so, who's the odd man out? Eller...

Vrbata comes in, Sekac or one of the other kids get time at wing and Chuck moves to center. Eller is tradebait at the deadline to fill gaps that are apparent by midseason.

Desharnais will be gone.. This management team has shown they are not stupid. Defensively inept desharnais will not stay at the expense of plekanec and Eller

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu · 31m
When you see to what lengths Bergevin went to open a spot for a young D, I'd imagine he's trying the same to open a spot at C for Galchenyuk....

...And, considering what Bergevin said about handing #Habs leadership over to young vets, that C spot he opens could very well be Plekanec's...

...Just speculating, but that's why it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Plekanec were traded this summer.

interesting....when bergevin brought up gorges, plekanec and gionta as leaders of the room I thought for sure they're all staying, guaranteed...but 2/3 are now gone so a pleks trade doesn't seem so crazy anymore....not sure its the right thing to do yet considering the inexperience of gally and the uncertainty around whether or not eller can be a top 2..but interesting to say the least...I wonder if Winnipeg would go all florida and try to win now. god knows they need a solid center kane?:D

bigtimehockeyfan999*

rpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu · 2m
To clear something up, I'm not saying Galchenyuk would replace Plekanec. Eller would take his role and Malhotra can take some tough minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad