Post-Game Talk: Free Agent Frenzy Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
The Oilers were not anything like the Habs are now.

You’re entirely right.

Unfortunately, what I was pointing to was a franchise hedging almost entirely on the forward progression of two promising young centres. And as was witnessed in Edmonton, that approach faces some unique challenges. So we’ll see whether MB’s offseason has mitigated the difficulties implicit in that hedge.

Read: we still f***ing suck, because our collective hopes and dreams rest on the shoulders of two kids who are still 3-5 years away from dominance.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
You’re entirely right.

Unfortunately, what I was pointing to was a franchise hedging almost entirely on the forward progression of two promising young centres. And as was witnessed in Edmonton, that approach faces some unique challenges. So we’ll see whether MB’s offseason has mitigated the difficulties implicit in that hedge.

Read: we still f***ing suck
it's the first time since at least 2 decades that we have a strong and young centre line .. how the f*** do we still suck. This is one of the best lineup on paper that we had since the Kovalev days. Come on

Reactions: Roadhouse

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
You’re entirely right.

Read: we still f***ing suck

3 things that the Oil didn't have:

Carey Price
Shea Weber
Brendan Gallagher

We have a team with great leadership...no comparison

And no, we don't "f***ing suck"...we have more Hope now, especially after the unexpected playoff run, than we've had since Bergevin got here

Believe that

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So what's gonna happen with all the other UFA's? There are a ton left and not a lot of teams with cap space...

I'm assuming Hoffman will more than likely sign in Florida or Nashville, but again, at what price?

Here's a list of who's left:

Mike Hoffman
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sami Vatanen
Mikael Granlund
Travis Hamonic
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard
Alex Galchenyuk
Joe Thornton
Anthony Duclair
Josh Leivo
Connor Sheary
Matt Martin (probably resigning in the New York area)
Zdeno Chara
Andy Greene

And others...

Reactions: jaffy27

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
So what's gonna happen with all the other UFA's? There are a ton left and not a lot of teams with cap space...

I'm assuming Hoffman will more than likely sign in Florida or Nashville, but again, at what price?

Mike Hoffman
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sami Vatanen
Mikael Granlund
Travis Hamonic
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard
Alex Galchenyuk
Joe Thornton
Anthony Duclair
Josh Leivo
Connor Sheary
Zdeno Chara
Andy Greene

And others...
Vatanen would fill a need if he came cheap and we could make space.

Reactions: Vachon23

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Mike Hoffman
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sami Vatanen
Mikael Granlund
Travis Hamonic
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard
Alex Galchenyuk
Joe Thornton
Anthony Duclair
Josh Leivo
Connor Sheary
Zdeno Chara
Andy Greene

And others...

They will all get PTO's... 2020 is wild.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

Mike Hoffman
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sami Vatanen
Mikael Granlund
Travis Hamonic
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard
Alex Galchenyuk
Joe Thornton
Anthony Duclair
Josh Leivo
Connor Sheary
Zdeno Chara
Andy Greene

And others...
Next on all except maybe for Haula.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Mike Hoffman
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sami Vatanen
Mikael Granlund
Travis Hamonic
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard
Alex Galchenyuk
Joe Thornton
Anthony Duclair
Josh Leivo
Connor Sheary
Zdeno Chara
Andy Greene

And others...
I want Martin.....maybe Haula

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Bergevin is done with the off-season. He's off on vacation.

I hope he can squeeze in a Dunn lol. Otherwise, great off-season!

Now, let's find a way to unload Byron, Weal, etc, and maybe find a way to keep the rest of our team intact?

Bergevin after his Gallagher conference call....

xB7pDs.gif

:laugh:

I’d say his off season work deserves an A++

Well deserved vacation, if there are other moves, he’s got an assistant GM that can field phone calls and lay out some ground work on minor deals that they’ve agreed upon.....FaceTime Berge, he can approve the trade and hang up the phone and go back to bed in his presidential suite at Charlevoix lol

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I mentioned Haula a week ago. He'd be a good fit and might be affordable, seeing as Bergevin has to make a move anyway.

Trade Byron.
sign Haula for one season.
By summer, if they need a 2nd line center, sign PD. If a 3rd line center will do, sign Haula.

Reactions: jaffy27

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Mike Hoffman
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sami Vatanen
Mikael Granlund
Travis Hamonic
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard
Alex Galchenyuk
Joe Thornton
Anthony Duclair
Josh Leivo
Connor Sheary
Zdeno Chara
Andy Greene

And others...
did you not hear, they all are going to fig land

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If the Habs trade Kulak and promote Fleury, they'll have just enough space for a 700K contract, the league minimum. It could be a promoted Belzile or a PTO deal. (400+700+700 = Kulak)

this is what he'll do this season.

he'll save the Byron chip for next year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
what about Brian Boyle for fourth line centre....big...
I asked about this earlier...I could see the Habs doing this, he would bring some insulation for Jake Evans, he wins faceoffs and he's experience.

Although we might regret it when CJ has him playing 14 mins a game lol

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I asked about this earlier...I could see the Habs doing this, he would bring some insulation for Jake Evans, he wins faceoffs and he's experience.

Although we might regret it when CJ has him playing 14 mins a game lol
yes... but a good big faceoff man won't hurt, and he is strong to play on the 4th line.....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yes... but a good big faceoff man won't hurt, and he is strong to play on the 4th line.....
agreed...as long as CJ can resist the urge to play him higher in the lineup or even to relegate Evans to a periphery role.

Though I have no idea how much Boyle has left in the tank

Reactions: angusyoung

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If the Habs trade Kulak and promote Fleury, they'll have just enough space for a 700K contract, the league minimum. It could be a promoted Belzile or a PTO deal. (400+700+700 = Kulak)

this is what he'll do this season.

he'll save the Byron chip for next year.

Not sure Fleury is ready to take this role though especially that we have an other rookie on the LD.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wouldnt surprise me if he joined Vancouver

They already have a killer one time shot on the right half wall of the PP in Pettersson, which is Hoffman's bread and butter.

It doesn't mean they won't look at him, but I don't think he's a pressing need for them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad