Post-Game Talk: Free Agent Frenzy Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think we will sign some depth player for Laval. We need:

- 1 LW who has experience in the NHL. We only have Vejdemo on the left side that can play if there is injuries. On the right side you have Weal/Belzile/Ylonen

Candidate (In order of preference): Devin Shore*/Gabriel Bourque/Tim Schaller
*Not sure he will accept a 2 way deal

- RD all our spare are LD (Kulak/Mete/Ouellet). On the RD you only have 3 guys after Weber/Petry:
Juulsen who didn't play a lot in the past 2 years
Fleury who will probably benefit playing all year in AHL
Brook who is just not ready

Candidate: Madison Bowey/Jeremy Roy*
*I really like him when he was JNR and there is nothing left on the FA so depth for Laval

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
So what's gonna happen with all the other UFA's? There are a ton left and not a lot of teams with cap space...

I'm assuming Hoffman will more than likely sign in Florida or Nashville, but again, at what price?

Here's a list of who's left:

Mike Hoffman
Ilya Kovalchuk
Sami Vatanen
Mikael Granlund
Travis Hamonic
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard
Alex Galchenyuk
Joe Thornton
Anthony Duclair
Josh Leivo
Connor Sheary
Matt Martin (probably resigning in the New York area)
Zdeno Chara
Andy Greene

And others...
Any bruisers to replace Byron on line 4?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He’d be a great add as the 4C. Let Evans develop for a year.
I honestly don't think there's much more to develop with Evans. He went through college and then paid his dues in the AHL.

I'd give him a shot as a 12th forward, either a center or right wing. Paquette could start at LW and step in at C if Evans is not up to the task.

Reactions: Vachon23

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I honestly don't think there's much more to develop with Evans. He went through college and then paid his dues in the AHL.

I'd give him a shot as a 12th forward, either a center or right wing. Paquette could start at LW and step in at C if Evans is not up to the task.

I get what you’re saying but I have a hard time believing that a team “going for it” will have three young players as centres, two is enough. I think Evans would be the first call-up for sure though. But I would want the 4th line to be more physical and have a better faceoff guy.

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
Zdeno Chara.
My brain went from: " this is silly" to " I want this more than it is rationally making sense" to " He would have the Lucic logic of not taking the best offer coming to Montreal because it just doesn't feel right"

Imagine Chara with a Canadien jersey ragdolls/bearhugging a Bruins. Take my money!

Reactions: The Real Timo

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
My brain went from: " this is silly" to " I want this more than it is rationally making sense" to " He would have the Lucic logic of not taking the best offer coming to Montreal because it just doesn't feel right"

Imagine Chara with a Canadien jersey ragdolls/bearhugging a Bruins. Take my money!

LOL...that would definitely be worth the price of admission...

Reactions: MarkyMarkov

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I get what you’re saying but I have a hard time believing that a team “going for it” will have three young players as centres, two is enough. I think Evans would be the first call-up for sure though. But I would want the 4th line to be more physical and have a better faceoff guy.
For what it's worth, Bergevin said that, because of Evans, they're not going to bring in a #4 C, unless it's a player who's clearly better. He specifically mentioned Thompson as a type of player they're not going to be pursuing. Now, which category does Paquette fit into? I'd imagine a clear upgrade would be someone like Soderberg or Koivu.

Still, I would take Paquette anyway and play him at LW if we could move Byron.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Blue Jackets' head coach John Tortorella wasn't too happy about losing him.
“Josh loved it here, and the guys loved him, too. There was a nice thing going on with him. This happens with all teams. But losing him … I’m not going to say it’s going to bury this hockey team. I’m not going to say that. You know how I feel about Josh. I wish that kid nothing but the best. He can be one hell of a hockey player.”
What a great post.

Reactions: MarkyMarkov

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Jumbo to the Figs.

Nice. His teammates will have to make sure they don't take his gatorade bottle with the Metamucil in it.

source.gif

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I seriously don't understand this signing... How does he fit on that team? Seems like a PR move more than anything. Thornton jerseys will be flying off the shelves.

That's the point of it, imo...more of a Media signing than anything else, although he could be very important in the dressing room if the kids actually listen to the old fella...

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm even more excited to see the new Habs play the Leafs now. That bottom six is as slow as they get, when Leafs play away games they can expect other teams' exploitation lines to come at those 3rd and 4th lines with hell fire. Contain the top 2 lines, skate circles around their other 2. This is going to be a taxing season for old vets with lots of 3 games over 4 nights in the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad