Post-Game Talk: Free Agent Frenzy Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Go all out!

Trade Byron, Lehkonen, Kulak and Weal and sign Hoffman at 5.5 mill, Kahun at 1.5mill and sign a couple players at 800k.

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Hoffman - Kotka - Toffoli
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Kahun - Evans - Armia

Yeah baby!

No.
Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Armia will all be needing new contracts soon.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Bergevin is done with the off-season. He's off on vacation.

I hope he can squeeze in a Dunn lol. Otherwise, great off-season!

Now, let's find a way to unload Byron, Weal, etc, and maybe find a way to keep the rest of our team intact?

Reactions: jaffy27 and Redux91

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
No.
Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Armia will all be needing new contracts soon.
Tatar's money will go towards Danault , Kotka's and Armia's raises.

5 million for Danault (+2 from current contract) and 3 mill bridge deal for KK (+2.1 mill from now) and 3 miilion for Armia (+400k from now)

Then we have:

Hoffman - Danault - Gally
Toffoli - Kotka - Armia

Depth baby, it's a beautiful thing!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1. Why would he sign for 1 year?
2. I highly doubt he would sign here anyways

He would sign here. With the covid situation I could easily see him take a 1 year deal and then try to get his big long term deal next summer.

Duclair is a prima donna that should have listened to Torts' criticism when he was in CBJ...last thing the Habs need right now is a locker room cancer...
Definitely a concern. We're paying our goalies 15 Million. What do we need more of: scoring or defense? Still, yes Duclair may be too much of a defensive liability. But I didn't hear any complaints out of Ottawa over his play or attitude - quite the opposite.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Nor do they need to move Byron. He can play on the 4th line, killing penalties, and move up the lineup when needed. I get his salary cap but they can easily get under the cap without moving him.

Byron is versatile and get between 15-20 goals.

Byron is a must trade right now you can't pay 3.5 millions for a 4th liner and they need cap space for next year to re-sign Kotkaniemi + 2 or 3 of Danault, Tatar, Armia, Lehkonen.

Add the Tampa Bay 2nd round pick to Byron to move him if need be.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Tatar's money will go towards Danault , Kotka's and Armia's raises.

5 million for Danault (+2 from current contract) and 3 mill bridge deal for KK (+2.1 mill from now) and 3 miilion for Armia (+400k from now)

Then we have:

Hoffman - Danault - Gally
Toffoli - Kotka - Armia

Depth baby, it's a beautiful thing!

Suzuki could potentially be asking for a 7M raise in 2 years.

Anyways we dont need Hoffman. We have Caufield that will be there in 1 year.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
He would sign here. With the covid situation I could easily see him take a 1 year deal and then try to get his big long term deal next summer.

Definitely a concern. We're paying our goalies 15 Million. What do we need more of: scoring or defense? Still, yes Duclair may be too much of a defensive liability. But I didn't hear any complaints out of Ottawa over his play or attitude - quite the opposite.

really? is there a link or something like that? or do you know him personally?

Seems to me that The Habs would be a terrible choice for him. He would be behind Tatar and Drouin and therefore on the 3rd line and not giving him the best chance to shine.....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
really? is there a link or something like that? or do you know him personally?

Seems to me that The Habs would be a terrible choice for him. He would be behind Tatar and Drouin and therefore on the 3rd line and not giving him the best chance to shine.....

1) In between periods of a recent Habs-Sens game TVA sports did an interview with his family. They were all gathered around the TV watching the game in their living room. The interviewer said why is Duclair in Ottawa and not here in Montreal. They said well, Duclair's doing well in Ottawa - for now, but of course he would love to play for Montreal.

2) when he was a UFA and signed in Columbus, he had conversations with Montreal. But he said afterwards they never made an offer.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'll keep saying it, maybe it happens. Get Ottawa to take Byron with picks to offset value, take Beauvillier off Lou's hands so he doesn't have to pay him large soon (still under flat cap) and so he can pay both Barzal and Pulock. Picks to offset once again.

Byron out, Le Anthony Burger in. Comes here as a core piece. Makes Drouin expandable strictly from PR angle.

Jpageman

Mar 10, 2019
Hey genius, the offseason is meant to make-up the roster for the next season and you compared the present offseason with an offseason where we already know the results. It is directly related. Before you can go and say it makes the 09 offseason irrelevant, this means the present team would do much better. For the 2009 offseason to be irrelevant in comparison to 2020, 2020 would need better results, right? So it's Stanley Cup finals, or else your post is just a big fat hottake.

Getting Cammalleri and Gionta, while they may be smaller, both produce to levels at which I have a hard time believing Anderson and Toffoli will match.

you forgot Edmundson and Allen...
Hit me up when we are sitting amongs the top of the conference to tell me how you miss big Mike and crazy Brian!

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Stop it with your 7 million raise.

Suzuki will get a bridge deal in the 4 to 4.5 million.

How do you know? If Suzuki is the #1 centre and puts up a couple of 60+ point seasons is he getting more than $4.5 million? Same thing with Kotkaniemi next season, if he plays great, has a breakout season I think he gets more than $3 million for sure.

Small sample size but those two were the Habs best forwards in the playoffs.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Stop it with your 7 million raise.

Suzuki will get a bridge deal in the 4 to 4.5 million.

There is a much higher chance Suzuki gets a long term contract than a bridge deal.
And unless you think Suzuki won't be more than a 45 pt player in the next 2 years, he's definitely going to be getting more than 4.5M

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
How do you know? If Suzuki is the #1 centre and puts up a couple of 60+ point seasons is he getting more than $4.5 million? Same thing with Kotkaniemi next season, if he plays great, has a breakout season I think he gets more than $3 million for sure.

Small sample size but those two were the Habs best forwards in the playoffs.

Stop it. Subban got a bridge, Price got a bridge, Suzuki will be no exception!

Domi got a 70+ point season and he signed for 5.3 mill.

Kotka was in the AHL as late as 6 months ago.

Kotka will sign a 2 year deal in the 3 million dollar range and Suzuki, if he has 2 good seasons will sign a bridge in the 4 to 4.5 million dollar range. Book it!

Reactions: Bushfire31

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Kotka will sign a 2 year deal in the 3 million dollar range and Suzuki, if he has 2 good seasons will sign a bridge in the 4 to 4.5 million dollar range. Book it!

I guess we’ll see. But I’d be shocked if Kotkaniemi got that little if he has a breakout season.

Domi has that season two years ago, he didn’t look great last season and in the playoffs. Suzuki is also much better defensively.

As for the bridges, was that the right play looking back at it with those two (Subban and Price). They ended up playing great and getting huge contracts. I can see Kotkaniemi getting one, not sure on Suzuki.

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I guess we’ll see. But I’d be shocked if Kotkaniemi got that little if he has a breakout season.

Domi has that season two years ago, he didn’t look great last season and in the playoffs. Suzuki is also much better defensively.

As for the bridges, was that the right play looking back at it with those two (Subban and Price). They ended up playing great and getting huge contracts. I can see Kotkaniemi getting one, not sure on Suzuki.
I would try and extend Suzuki as early and middle of next season. Take advantage of the covid crisis to sign him to a lesser contract.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I would try and extend Suzuki as early and middle of next season. Take advantage of the covid crisis to sign him to a lesser contract.

I don’t think he’ll be able to sign his RFA contract until the start of free agency next season as per the NHL rules.

This year was a bit different for extending players who were a year out of free agency, where they were allowed to extend players a bit early (like Petry) but even with that that was in the off-season.

Also I think the RFA’s are going to want to wait and see how their seasons go to up their value before signing a contract.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

No way he takes a 4 year deal. I can see 2-3 years but it will be at $5+ million unless something stunts his progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad