macarthur - turris - alfie
michalek - zibanejad - havlat
hoffman - smith - condra

methot - karlsson
cowen - ceci
phillips - volchenkov

andy
lehner

bring the our wayward sons back home, bring the cup back home. it's simple logic
Kelly cries uncontrollably.

+ Alfie plays better with Spezza.

The Fuhr*

BM has never been crazy active here in UFA... Today won't change

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Prediction:

-Ottawa re-signs Ryan and Mac Today
-Spezza is traded for Eakin +
-Ottawa signs Pouliot, Havlat
-Ottawa trades Wiercioch

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Pouliot-Zibanejad-Havlat
Hoffman-Eakin-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So i guess its bad thing ? We need to overpay to get some players, so we can cry years to come about bad contracts in a team ?
So if in a few hours if Sens make some Clarkson like deal, Melnyk status changes from villain to hero ?
:)

Its funny how you're only options are spend the absolute minimum, or pay a third liner 6 million.

Where is the option to have 6 top 6 forwards and 4 top 4 forwards paid accordingly. Does that not exist? Explain.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
My mind says no to Havlat. He's damaged goods that we don't need.

My heart screams, "Bring him home BMurr! Repair my heart that was broken back in 2006!"

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Del Zotto apparently wasn't tendered an offer by NSH... wonder if he might be one of those projects that BM likes, didn't he want him at one point? I remember we used to have a ton of rumours involved trying to acquire ihm.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Del Zotto apparently wasn't tendered an offer by NSH... wonder if he might be one of those projects that BM likes, didn't he want him at one point? I remember we used to have a ton of rumours involved trying to acquire ihm.

He wanted him badly but then Ceci emerged. Murray said once he saw Ceci play, he didn't need another young PMD anymore.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

Yeah I remember Wiercioch was rumored in a potential deal for MDZ, don't recall the full extent of it but Murray was at least interested at the time.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Its funny how you're only options are spend the absolute minimum, or pay a third liner 6 million.

Where is the option to have 6 top 6 forwards and 4 top 4 forwards paid accordingly. Does that not exist? Explain.

Its hard to sign UFA, who is on a dozen teams radar, and pay him accordingly.
You need to win a bidding war/overpay. My point is, if we sign some decent UFA for some crazy money, Melnyk becomes hero. But is it smart ? If we dont sign anyone, cause other teams outbid us, Melnyk is cheap **** and need to sell this team etc.
Many fans think Melnyk needs to throw in money and sign UFA to show them he is committed to this team. I think resignind Ryan and MacArthur is major thing going forward.
If we can get some UFA and pay him accordingly, perfect. Better to underpay them. But BM is not so good ;)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Its hard to sign UFA, who is on a dozen teams radar, and pay him accordingly.
You need to win a bidding war/overpay. My point is, if we sign some decent UFA for some crazy money, Melnyk becomes hero. But is it smart ? If we dont sign anyone, cause other teams outbid us, Melnyk is cheap **** and need to sell this team etc.
Many fans think Melnyk needs to throw in money and sign UFA to show them he is committed to this team. I think resignind Ryan and MacArthur is major thing going forward.
If we can get some UFA and pay him accordingly, perfect. Better to underpay them. But BM is not so good ;)

Why would melnyk be a hero for massively overpaying? I don't get that part.

Why can't murray make another Clarke MacArthur type signing. Maybe a gonchar type signing. We have tons of cap space and won't be crippled by making a MacArthur type deal and a gonchar type deal. We can afford 3 players making 3-5 million that would improve our team greatly. That's what we should be doing. We have the cap space to get rid of our bottom 3 players, and replace them with top 2 line F or D. Why aren't we doing that?

Every year there's a few guys who have proven to be top 2 line players but are overlooked. Sign those guys to fairly cheap contracts. Sign a guy to the same term as other teams but add a third year like gonchar.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Give Havlat the Latandresse contract. 1 year 2 mil with half of the 2 in performance bonuses.

Hes more proven than Lats ever was, but it wouldnt hurt to throw it out there.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
BM has never been crazy active here in UFA... Today won't change
didnt he sign Gonchar one year right at 12pm? also Kovalev was a another pickup.

He is more active then our previous GM thats for sure.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
According to Bob McKenzie, Ryan Miller will be signing with the Canucks...

From Luongo and Schneider to Ryan Miller....what a horrible handling of your goalie situation.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
didnt he sign Gonchar one year right at 12pm? also Kovalev was a another pickup.

He is more active then our previous GM thats for sure.

It was all but confirmed that the Kovalev signing was heavily influenced by Melnyk. Back when he actually had money to spend.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Give Havlat the Latandresse contract. 1 year 2 mil with half of the 2 in performance bonuses.

Hes more proven than Lats ever was, but it wouldnt hurt to throw it out there.

One of the rumored 11 other teams interested in him might beat that offer easily though.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
According to Bob McKenzie, Ryan Miller will be signing with the Canucks...

From Luongo and Schneider to Ryan Miller....what a horrible handling of your goalie situation.

Miller is probably the best of the group

would be a good pickup for them

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There's a premium on talent and I'm worried our team is too scared to pay it.

We'd rather spend 10 and produce 10 instead of spend 20 and produce 15...even though 15>10

Its like if you're running the quarter mile with the exact same car but with different engines.

1 engine produces 300 horsepower for $10,000
The other produce 450 horsepower for $20,000.

The first engine will never win but he can brag about having the better bang for buck engine. That's what I'm worried melnyk is.

You can have the best contracts, while spending to the floor and not accomplishing much. At some point you have to pay premiums. Not for the clarkssons of the world, but actual talent that produces and has proven it. I think melnyk is too scared to do that. Well see.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There's a premium on talent and I'm worried our team is too scared to pay it.

We'd rather spend 10 and produce 10 instead of spend 20 and produce 15...even though 15>10

Its like if you're running the quarter mile with the exact same car but with different engines.

1 engine produces 300 horsepower for $10,000
The other produce 450 horsepower for $20,000.

The first engine will never win but he can brag about having the better bang for buck engine. That's what I'm worried melnyk is.

You can have the best contracts, while spending to the floor and not accomplishing much. At some point you have to pay premiums. Not for the clarkssons of the world, but actual talent that produces and has proven it. I think melnyk is too scared to do that. Well see.

Funny how there's a premium on talent but Spezza is worth compost.

Murray better have an ace up his sleeve.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think we could sign Pouliot and Perreault for under 6 million. Get a good forward for Spezza. Maybe see if we can get a forward for Wiercioch since I think he's the first guy out (unfortunately). There's our 4 forwards and we'll have a ton of depth without spending ridiculous amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad