GDT: Free agent frenzy July 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Mirtle: Adding John Tavares doesn't have to mean the Maple...

Boomer will be happy.

What are the Leafs giving the Rangers to take Martin?

Martin has a base salary of $750,000 this season. The Leafs paid the $1.5M signing bonus.

$750,000 base and $1M signing bonus next season.

$2.5M cap hit.

Does Dubas want to move Horton? Give the Leafs more flexibility. They won't have to deal with LTIR.

The Leafs have some interesting prospects.

Andreas Johnsson is a kid I would love to get, but I can’t imagine the Leafs would trade him. Very good player, that type. Speedster, so good at moving with the puck. Probably one of the more underrated kids out there. Won’t become a big star, but could become a very good top 6 at least.

Carl Grundstrom is probably most realistic target value wise. Good player, would be a perfect depth addition for us in light of us needing energy and grit. Grundstrom doesn’t compare in exact stature and style with these two guys, but in terms of contribution I think he has a very good shot at becoming a player in the Fast/Hagelin range. He bangs more, he is a bit more in your face, tenacious. Tenacious is a good word to describe him. Shoots a lot, goes to the net.

If the value for a cap dump like Martin is a second, CG matches that.

Dymytro Timashov is a kid who grew up with Nyls Jr and trained a ton with him, and by Michael Nyalander. He resembles Michael Nylander more than Alex and William. He is so hard to take the puck from. Always heads up, can stickhandle and move in all four directions like he was a droan. He had a very very good WJCH 3 years ago. Has been OK in the AHL under Keefe. What is his potential? Can he play in a smaller role in the NHL? Blake Comeau is 32 and has been a checker for almost a decade in the NHL. I remember seing a 20 y/o something Blake Comeau play for Springfield, he was such a finesse winger. Toe dragged everything that moved 157 times. He became a checker. Or can Tyma even become something better? I wouldn’t rule it out.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It’s almost as if the long time fans, here, that are happy have been waiting for a more complete rebuild versus the random half measures we’ve had since 1997 or so. So those of us waiting that long have largely suffered through multiple head fakes from management about the ****ing future. The idea that we can’t be happy with what appears to be a more complete attempt at rebuilding this franchise is absurd and I think you know where you can put that idea.

Drinking the Gorton Kool-aid, are we?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rangers all quiet as free agency hits, except with Namestnikov

https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/rangers-commit-8m-to-bringing-back-namestnikov/

Gorton did not sign Namestnikov in order to trade him. The plan is for No. 90 to open on the wing while leaving open the possibility he could shift into the middle if Filip Chytil and/or Lias Andersson need more time to be develop in the AHL. The 25-year-old, who recorded 44 points (20 goals, 24 assists) in 62 games in Tampa Bay before posting four points in 19 contests while bouncing around the lineup for New York, represents a pretty good insurance policy. He will be given ice time and responsibility.

Bridge deal for a bridge player. Makes just so much damn sense.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see the Rangers as a playoff team but I don't see them as a bottom 5 team either--or at least not if they can stay reasonably healthy. Somewhere between 7 and 10 is where I'd put them.

There are 'ifs'. Smith returning to some kind of NHL form is one of them. Chytil and/or Andersson making the team and contributing. Maybe Meskanen and/or Lindqvist. Hartford should be much better and better able to give us better quality depth when the need is there. I think we might see any number of guys at forward and defense shuttling back and forth.

The goaltending should be pretty good. Whether it's Lundqvist and Georgiev or whether Lundqvist and someone else and when Henrik is having issues we give his backload more load.

I will say this team looks super soft to me. We're going to get knocked around a lot this year.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Of course Trouba isn't available for Hayes

Why would he be? There are some other great pieces Winnipeg has to build around

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Does anyone get the feeling that a lockout is inevitable with these contracts being handed out?

One of the things I'd question would be escrow, the players are not going to be happy should the teams as a group spend more than their 50% of revenue as it means they would not get back what they are putting into escrow.

The bigger fish which I'm not sure if the PA would go after, expansion and relocation fees being considered hockey related revenue.

If the players feel like they are losing out on escrow, and they see the league raking in fees where none of it goes towards their side of revenue, at the very least it's going to give them something to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad