GDT: Free agent frenzy July 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
They're definitely bunched in there with the other mountain of suck.

I'll say this, I don't think there is a team out west who is worse than they are.

Maybe Vancouver. I still expect more signings from Montreal and the Isles (Lou will do something foolish.) Detroit hasn’t fully embraced the suck. Carolina was better last year, and when they acquire Hayes, that will help their center position. Dahlin will make Buffalo better, plus Hutton will be an improvement over Lehner.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Rangers are a bottom 5 team. Which is fine. As long as the young core improves it's a successful season. Hank is Hank. The forwards are in pretty good shape. The defense is probably the worst in the league but will also likely look very different October 2019. This year is going to be rough but I don't think they will spiral downward too much longer

September '17: the assumption was Edmonton is WCF-bound, Winnipeg was mediocre at best, Vegas is three layers under the cellar, and Carolina is ready to contend.

Stop the declarations of certainty. You don't know. This is a roster with quite a bit of talent. For all the rejects rooting for a lost year to get a good draft pick, I have a list of a dozen NHL franchises that can't pick themselves off the floor because of a losing culture.

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Why did Buffalo make that trade? Why not just keep O’Reilly?
They traded him because he didn't want to be there and didn't mesh well with management (apparently his teammates liked him though)

They traded him for that sub-par (putting it lightly) package because they wanted to penny pinch and didn't negotiate a trade well

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Montreal reached with 3rd pick and Arizona reached with 5th pick by other people’s standards. They are confident with their picks as the Rangers are with Kravtsov. Can’t judge these decisions for years so why are we still kicking this can around.
Honestly, it does get irritating when they reach like they've got some ace in the hole that never makes it... there have been at least two such picks in the firt three rounds every year for the last 15... '03 was chock full of them... and I'm no pro scout, I just always see 10-20 higher ranked guys available especially in our second rounds (more like 75 in some cases). They swing for the fences in the 2nd and usually pop foul it. Let's hope for better this time.

Again, I'm not the expert and maybe I'm just focusing on bad things... Stepan was kind of a reach, and a smart pick... and after round 2, it's been very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTakedown

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Oilers
Senators
Hurricanes
Toronto

All teams I think the Rangers would be good trading partners with. Maybe even in a 3 way (ooh la la!)

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
Huh? The Rangers have done great at taking players with potential that had a bad start to their career and getting them back on track and playing decently well

Boyle
Stralman
Pouliot
Grabner
Brassard (to a lesser extent)
Holden
Stempniak

Brass I will give you even though he was a decent player when we got him. He certainly elevated his game here. However, the original quote was around him (Yak) being a 60 pt player here. That is more than just getting back on track. He would go from being a fringe NHLer to a legit top line winger. We never get THAT type of luck.

First overall aside, it’s like the blind hope here (and necessary luck required) if Pionk actually becomes a top 4 D. We usually get “lucky” with bottom 6ers rather than lucking into a “difference maker”.

Apologizes if that didn’t come across in my post.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Honestly, it does get irritating when they reach like they've got some ace in the hole that never makes it... there have been at least two such picks in the firt three rounds every year for the last 15... '03 was chock full of them... and I'm no pro scout, I just always see 10-20 higher ranked guys available especially in our second rounds (more like 75 in some cases). They swing for the fences in the 2nd and usually pop foul it. Let's hope for better this time.

Most fans just read scouting reports look at highlight videos and look at rankings then they think they are a draft expert. I do have to admit I didn’t ever watch a full game in which Kravtsov, Wahlstrom or Dobson played in. Who am I to judge what players should be taken and criticize the scouts who have actually watched every single game these players have played.

I have heard a rumor from an Islander fan that the Islanders had Kravtsov ranked higher the Wahlstrom, Don’t know how true that is.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Brass I will give you even though he was a decent player when we got him. He certainly elevated his game here. However, the original quote was around him (Yak) being a 60 pt player here. That is more than just getting back on track. He would go from being a fringe NHLer to a legit top line winger. We never get THAT type of luck.

First overall aside, it’s like the blind hope here (and necessary luck required) if Pionk actually becomes a top 4 D. We usually get “lucky” with bottom 6ers rather than lucking into a “difference maker”.

Apologizes if that didn’t come across in my post.
Ohh, yeah, I don't see 60 lol but I wouldn't be overly shocked if he popped for 20 goals and 45 points here, a la Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad