GDT: Free Agent Frenzy (in October!) | Sharks throw a pile of money at Labanc, re-sign Noesen, Marleau(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
With contract like that DW was stupid if he did not to make any pitch... Also if I recall correctly he did enjoy hanging out with some of our players during some ASG some years ago
Would not have mattered. If he had committed the money to Labanc already (ahead of announcing it), we were never in the FA market to begin with for a top-6 FA.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Would not have mattered. If he had committed the money to Labanc already (ahead of announcing it), we were never in the FA market to begin with for a top-6 FA.
This just shows how stupid contract he gave to Labanc. I would've traded Labanc in a heartbeat if it would've made us sign Hall for 8m.
I would've offered that in a heartbeat. :(
I would've offered 9 if we would've have capspace. But I think point for Hall in this contract is to play with Eichel and score a lot and then sign his massive contract next summer with the highest bidder.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think most are assuming Sorenson gets moved to make something else happen.

On its own logic that is a very sensible assumption

In reality this isn't the first time I can recall looking at a roster and thinking "Well, DW is just going to have to trade <insert overpaid, replaceable scrub here> in order to free up space to do the stuff he needs to." and it's turned out to be totally wrong as the team hangs onto the guy well past that point. I wish I could remember who the others were, but it's clear that management seems to often choose to have faith in the resilience of its struggling players far more than the fanbase does.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This just shows how stupid contract he gave to Labanc. I would've traded Labanc in a heartbeat if it would've made us sign Hall for 8m.

I would've offered 9 if we would've have capspace. But I think point for Hall in this contract is to play with Eichel and score a lot and then sign his massive contract next summer with the highest bidder.

No argument about this. I think in the end, it does not matter because how a lot of us see Labanc is very different from how DW does. He has said that he expects Labanc to be a 60 point forward for the next 4 years. This is setting unrealistic expectations off Labanc's best season with us where he was good for 56 points. 20 of those points were on the PP and this was arguably the best Sharks team iced.

It is a head-scratcher to say the least. I am really curious to see what kind of deals Dadonov and Toffoli get as well. If they come under 6M then I feel comfortable making a claim that adding one of them plus a minor piece like Craig Smith (for 3.1M) would make the team a lot better even if it came at the cost of trading Labanc. Or at worst, not even qualifying him.

I think the difference between DW and a lot of GM's is that they are a lot more brave/comfortable cutting their losses by not qualifying players than DW is. He definitely has a soft side for players from within his system and seems to roll over for them.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

In reality this isn't the first time I can recall looking at a roster and thinking "Well, DW is just going to have to trade <insert overpaid, replaceable scrub here> in order to free up space to do the stuff he needs to." and it's turned out to be totally wrong as the team hangs onto the guy well past that point. I wish I could remember who the others were, but it's clear that management seems to often choose to have faith in the resilience of its struggling players far more than the fanbase does.

Melker Karlsson and Aaron Dell last summer come to mind.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Yes, his history would indicate that with the way he traded Bell, Cheechoo, Heatley, Boedker, Rivet, Stuart, Murray....not that all of those players were completely replaceable scrubs, but they were, in general, overpaid.

At the same time, he wasn't able to get rid of Burish, Martin, or Havlat...or even Dell or Thornton at the deadline last year.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
No argument about this. I think in the end, it does not matter because how a lot of us see Labanc is very different from how DW does. He has said that he expects Labanc to be a 60 point forward for the next 4 years. This is setting unrealistic expectations off Labanc's best season with us where he was good for 56 points. 20 of those points were on the PP and this was arguably the best Sharks team iced.

It is a head-scratcher to say the least. I am really curious to see what kind of deals Dadonov and Toffoli get as well. If they come under 6M then I feel comfortable making a claim that adding one of them plus a minor piece like Craig Smith (for 3.1M) would make the team a lot better even if it came at the cost of trading Labanc. Or at worst, not even qualifying him.

I think the difference between DW and a lot of GM's is that they are a lot more brave/comfortable cutting their losses by not qualifying players than DW is. He definitely has a soft side for players from within his system and seems to roll over for them.
I agree. I don't know why DW sees Labanc as 60 point forward as he has never surpassed it and he scored those 56 points on best team Sharks have ever have (On paper) with Hall of Famer Joe frickin Thornton as his center. During that season Jumbo was also still playing top 6 level hockey.

I would maybe go as far as saying that I wouldn't even have qualified Labanc if it would have meant we would have had space for Hall. Or if we would have signed Smith and Toffoli/Dadonov with the money. I'm just laughing how we are so tight against cap even though we have only 4 top 6 forwards.

Overall I think Donato and Dubnyk trade and all DW's offseason moves to build 2021 team has been rubbish and it seems like he is not going to sign any forwards which we would definitely need.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I must inject that the Cow Palace did have a certain charm. It was terrible but a certain charm.

I was a kid during the Cow Palace days and the nose bleeds were mostly drunk east coast transplants. I sat up during play to take off my jacket and multiple people told me to sit down with a bunch of four letter words included. I have been to tons of hockey games and I have never stood up during play again.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I was a kid during the Cow Palace days and the nose bleeds were mostly drunk east coast transplants. I sat up during play to take off my jacket and multiple people told me to sit down with a bunch of four letter words included. I have been to tons of hockey games and I have never stood up during play again.
That’s a bummer. I say, “Stand up!!”

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Hall is coming to us at the deadline. Book it
Honestly, this fits pretty well with the situation.

Ducks and Kings are still Ducks and Kings.

Edmonton will probably be better, but they were only a playoff team this year because of a miracle start, and winning games getting out-shot 50-20, but winning 4-2.

Vegas is gutting their roster to give a big FA defencemen a huge contract, and have PDB as their coach... (hmm; for the record I don't think the Karlsson contract was wrong but the similarity is pretty funny.)

Vancouver is... just loosing all their UFAs, I guess.

Arizona is HARD tanking.

Calgary will probably be pretty good.

The Sharks are absolutely favored to make a playoff spot (and certainly be in the mix at the deadline.) The cap space open should fit him assuming this doesn't miraculously make Buffalo a playoff team.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I agree. I don't know why DW sees Labanc as 60 point forward as he has never surpassed it and he scored those 56 points on best team Sharks have ever have (On paper) with Hall of Famer Joe frickin Thornton as his center. During that season Jumbo was also still playing top 6 level hockey.

I would maybe go as far as saying that I wouldn't even have qualified Labanc if it would have meant we would have had space for Hall. Or if we would have signed Smith and Toffoli/Dadonov with the money. I'm just laughing how we are so tight against cap even though we have only 4 top 6 forwards.

Overall I think Donato and Dubnyk trade and all DW's offseason moves to build 2021 team has been rubbish and it seems like he is not going to sign any forwards which we would definitely need.

I wonder if it isn’t just posturing. DW mentioned Labanc’s contract being similar to Tierney’s in a recent interview. Thing is everyone knew Tierney was on the block after he requested arbitration. Doug has a history of moving players that don’t bend to his contract demands in the early part of their career. It’s entirely possible that Labanc is trade bait at this point.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Honestly, this fits pretty well with the situation.

Ducks and Kings are still Ducks and Kings.

Edmonton will probably be better, but they were only a playoff team this year because of a miracle start, and winning games getting out-shot 50-20, but winning 4-2.

Vegas is gutting their roster to give a big FA defencemen a huge contract, and have PDB as their coach... (hmm; for the record I don't think the Karlsson contract was wrong but the similarity is pretty funny.)

Vancouver is... just loosing all their UFAs, I guess.

Arizona is HARD tanking.

Calgary will probably be pretty good.

The Sharks are absolutely favored to make a playoff spot (and certainly be in the mix at the deadline.) The cap space open should fit him assuming this doesn't miraculously make Buffalo a playoff team.
I could see Colorado as a big competitor to us, but who knows if they are willing to pony up. At the end of the day Hall has full NMC and NTC so he chooses 100

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think Hall mentioned Krueger and the opportunity to play with Eichel as the reason he chose Buffalo. Doubt we could have gotten him for the same deal.
Yeah we don’t exactly have an Eichel or a coach Hall knows. Nor would we really be a good jumping off point at the deadline

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
How did Colorado not beat that contract?

Also, Vegas should pay someone to take Fleury rather than give up Schmidt. Schmidt is an excellent player.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
How did Colorado not beat that contract?

Also, Vegas should pay someone to take Fleury rather than give up Schmidt. Schmidt is an excellent player.
Well, right now they have 10m and 6 open roster slots, so I could see how they could not beat it now, but that is basically saying they value Saad higher than Hall, because they could have just not traded for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad