GDT: Free Agent Frenzy (in October!) | Sharks throw a pile of money at Labanc, re-sign Noesen, Marleau(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
****PLEASE DO NOT MAKE A NEW THREAD FOR ANY SHARKS SIGNINGS. A MOD WILL HANDLE THAT TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITY. DUPLICATE THREADS ONLY MAKE FOR MORE MOD WORK****

Coverage:
In the US:
NHL Network (Live blog link.)

In Canada:
TSN (live on TSN and TSN4. Can stream if you have access to TSN streaming either by purchase or having cable provider access.)

Rogers Sportsnet (Live blog link. Also live on Sportsnet regional channels. Can stream if you have Sportsnet Now either through purchase or cable provider access.)

Information
NHL.com FA tracker

TSN.ca FA Tracker & video content

Sportsnet.ca FA tracker

CapFriendly Sharks' cap page

Sharks Free Agents
The following Sharks players are free agents as of today:

PlayerAgePos Last Cap HitStatus
Brodzinski, Jonny27C
$700,000​
Signed with NY Rangers (terms TBA)
Davidson, Brandon29D
$700,000​
Signed with Buffalo (1 yr, $700k)
Dell, Aaron31G
$1,900,000​
Unsigned
Greco, Anthony (Group VI)27C
$700,000​
Signed with NY Rangers (terms TBA)
Karlsson, Melker30RW
$2,000,000​
Unsigned
Noesen, Stefan27LW/RW
$700,000​
Re-signed with San Jose (1 yr, $925k)
Prout, Dalton30D
$800,000​
Unsigned
Roy, Jeremy (Non-Tendered)23D
$827,500​
Unsigned
Shortridge, Andrew (Non-Tendered)25G
$925,000​
Unsigned
Thornton, Joe41C
$2,000,000​
Unsigned
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Non-Tendered FAs are players who were not given a qualifying offer, thus rescinding their RFA status.

Group VI UFAs are players who fit the following criteria:

1) They are at least 25 years old
2) They have played at least 3 professional seasons (seemingly mostly in North America, so AHL/ECHL)
3) They have played fewer than 80 NHL games in their pro career as a skater or fewer than 28 games as a goaltender
If a player meets all 3 criteria at the end of their current contract and would otherwise be an RFA, they will instead be given Group VI status and declared a full UFA.

Sharks FA Signings
The Sharks have signed the following players today (not counting re-signed Shark FAs):

PlayerAgePosLast TeamTermCap Hit/AAV
Patrick Marleau41LW/CPittsburgh1 year$1,000,000 (reported)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Depth Chart
This is a rough approximation of the Sharks' depth chart, taking into account any signings noted above.

SHARKS
LW
C
RW
Evander Kane​
Logan Couture​
Timo Meier
Ryan Donato​
Tomas Hertl​
Kevin Labanc
Patrick Marleau
Antti Suomela​
Noah Gregor
Marcus Sorensen​
Dylan Gambrell​
Stefan Noesen
Joel Kellman*
Alexander True
Joachim Blichfeld
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LD
RD
Marc-Edouard Vlasic​
Erik Karlsson
Mario Ferraro​
Brent Burns
Radim Simek​
Jake Middleton*
Nikolai Knyzhov
Nick DeSimone
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
Martin Jones​
Devan Dubnyk​
Josef Korenar
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
BARRACUDA
Note that this roster does not line up exactly with the bottom of the Sharks chart above. Those depth players are based on presumed likelihood of a call-up. The Cuda lineup is sit more for their actual play.

LW
C
RW
Jayden Halbgewachs​
Sasha Chmelevski​
Joachim Blichfeld
John Leonard​
Maxim Letunov​
Ivan Chekhovich
Joey Garreffa
Zach Gallant​
Jake McGrew
Jeffrey Viel​
Kyle Topping
Lean Bergmann
Manny Wiederer
Steenn Pasichnuk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LD
RD
Trevor Carrick​
Thomas Gregoire
Nick DeSimone​
Ryan Merkley
Brinson Pasichnuk​
Nicolas Meloche
Karlis Cukste
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
Josef Korenar​
Alexei Melnichuk​
Zach Sawchenko
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Legend
Scratch/Depth Player
RFA
UFA signing
Re-signed Sharks UFA

Trade acquisition
Barracuda-only contract (no NHL rights)
*Player is listed out-of-position due to lack of reasonable alternatives.

I will likely adjust this thread's setup as the day goes, along with pinning this post to the top of each page for easy reference. But before then I wanted the admin stuff at the top until it becomes less necessary.

And no, I can't get the tables to center within the post. The add-in used to make tables here kinda sucks. It just sucks less than Xenforo's normal tables.

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
That forward lineup made me laugh irl

Oh god someone help us
If Doug Wilson goes into the season with that lineup he's crazy. He won't make the same mistake twice. He'll get a top 6 at the very least, one way or another.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's really just that 3rd line that's terrible. Top 6 isn't great but it's passable. After that, it just falls off a cliff. You could survive with a top 6 like that if you had a 3rd line that was comparable to the 2nd line but we definitely do not.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If Doug Wilson goes into the season with that lineup he's crazy. He won't make the same mistake twice. He'll get a top 6 at the very least, one way or another.
It's probably going to be by trade. I see them using fa to fill the holes in the bottom 6 cheaply.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
It's really just that 3rd line that's terrible. Top 6 isn't great but it's passable. After that, it just falls off a cliff. You could survive with a top 6 like that if you had a 3rd line that was comparable to the 2nd line but we definitely do not.
Which is why you need to get that top 6, push everyone else down one. I like the idea you mentioned of getting Smith and Ryan, could give us some nice depth.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'd feel comfortable putting Merkley as the #3 RD on the depth chart. Sharks have to roll the dice. They could also pay Ferraro on his off side and give the numerous LHD options a shot.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If bimbo Kurz is hinting something with Jimbo to Vegas, I’m officially off the Jumbo wagon. I’m fine if he wants to chase a Cup, but if that’s in Vegas I’m washing my hands of him and his contributions to this franchise.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If bimbo Kurz is hinting something with Jimbo to Vegas, I’m officially off the Jumbo wagon. I’m fine if he wants to chase a Cup, but if that’s in Vegas I’m washing my hands of him and his contributions to this franchise.
Thornton isn't going anywhere. The only reason Wilson can't say direct that he's going to be back is because he's like that.

He'll probably just have a smaller no-trade list and can go at the deadline if the team isn't in it. Why leave your home for a whole year?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Im not holding my breath for DW to do anything before camp, or even into the season some.

If he really believes this team underachieved last year, and injuries screwed us, then it would be logical to not feel like you have to get someone in free agency to make your team competitive.

That lineup is ugly, but it’s also gunna be near 9months since we’ve seen any of our guys play, DW might be waiting to see if anyone has improved, or declined, by leaps and bounds in that time before making a move.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Im not holding my breath for DW to do anything before camp, or even into the season some.

If he really believes this team underachieved last year, and injuries screwed us, then it would be logical to not feel like you have to get someone in free agency to make your team competitive.

That lineup is ugly, but it’s also gunna be near 9months since we’ve seen any of our guys play, DW might be waiting to see if anyone has improved, or declined, by leaps and bounds in that time before making a move.
At the same time it's been 9 months since those guys played hockey. You can't develop and get better by not playing. If anything, I expect less out of the young guys starting off this season than what we saw last season because they're simply not experienced and polished enough to be able to jump back into the swing of things as better/more experienced players.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
At the same time it's been 9 months since those guys played hockey. You can't develop and get better by not playing. If anything, I expect less out of the young guys starting off this season than what we saw last season because they're simply not experienced and polished enough to be able to jump back into the swing of things as better/more experienced players.

I certainly agree that is possible, however on the flip side I think the young guys, especially those that were rookies or bubble prospects last year have the potential to have made great strides physically in this massive layoff and that might play a big role in how they do this year.

Nine months of skate training and strength training could do wonders for some of these guys. Like a Suomela, or Labanc, or even Gambrell who got knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Some of our bubble prospects were mostly not ready from a physical perspective, and so it might be possible that some of them have made great strides in that department in this break.

I am in no way saying I’m sure that’s the case, and they may very well have regressed from not playing, or not even taken advantage of the break to really work on their physical capabilities.

However if some of these guys made massive gains in the offseason, you don’t just forget how to play hockey, so while they may start out slow mentally, at least they might be building upon a better physical foundation and be better in the long run for it.

Either way, there is a ton of unknowns with all our players because of this massive layoff, and it would not shock me if DW is slow playing his acquisitions until during or after camp when he can actually see who is playing at what level.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The depth chart is actually deeper than that IMO. Seems like Leonard, Handy and Pasichuk should be listed somewhere there. I think they were brought in to fill out the NHL roster and are probably a better bet to play in the NHL out of camp than a few guys listed.

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Thornton is Sharks or retire at this point. I'd be very surprised to see him elsewhere. I doubt many teams would even want to take up a spot in their lineup for Thornton versus a young 4th liner. In fact, DW might be thinking the same thing. In further fact, it would be total DW move, if Joe told him he's retiring, for DW to ask Joe "Wait until the free agency period starts and then announce, so we can deflect away from the fact that we're not signing anyone, including bargain UFAs."

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Which is why you need to get that top 6, push everyone else down one. I like the idea you mentioned of getting Smith and Ryan, could give us some nice depth.
I like this option too after reading those reports. I wonder how much Namistikov will cost? Seems like they thought he would be a good fit.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I certainly agree that is possible, however on the flip side I think the young guys, especially those that were rookies or bubble prospects last year have the potential to have made great strides physically in this massive layoff and that might play a big role in how they do this year.

Nine months of skate training and strength training could do wonders for some of these guys. Like a Suomela, or Labanc, or even Gambrell who got knocked over by a stiff breeze.

Some of our bubble prospects were mostly not ready from a physical perspective, and so it might be possible that some of them have made great strides in that department in this break.

I am in no way saying I’m sure that’s the case, and they may very well have regressed from not playing, or not even taken advantage of the break to really work on their physical capabilities.

However if some of these guys made massive gains in the offseason, you don’t just forget how to play hockey, so while they may start out slow mentally, at least they might be building upon a better physical foundation and be better in the long run for it.

Either way, there is a ton of unknowns with all our players because of this massive layoff, and it would not shock me if DW is slow playing his acquisitions until during or after camp when he can actually see who is playing at what level.
I know I'm probably still just infatuated by how he looked when he first made the team, but I like Shovels a lot. Seems like he has some skill and skating ability, just needs to put on some weight to be effective in the NHL.
I'd feel comfortable putting Merkley as the #3 RD on the depth chart. Sharks have to roll the dice. They could also pay Ferraro on his off side and give the numerous LHD options a shot.
I wouldn't if he doesn't seem to earn it. Do not want to ruin this kid like they did with Mueller.

Reactions: Dicdonya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1