GDT: Free Agent Frenzy III: Freer and Frenzier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Canes on Aho: They can't match 60m+ in signing bonus, that's 3 years of receipt now. But if you go for 10m+ for Aho, why not go for 12m+ for Laine/Tkachuck? I suspect Calgary can match heavy front loading, but Winnipeg?
Aho is much better than these guys?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Canes on Aho: They can't match 60m+ in signing bonus, that's 3 years of receipt now. But if you go for 10m+ for Aho, why not go for 12m+ for Laine/Tkachuck? I suspect Calgary can match heavy front loading, but Winnipeg?
12M = 4 1st round picks
10.5M = 2 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think were just going to end up taking on a bad contract for some kind of payment, similar to the Armia deal.

That's how I see it. We're going to provide cap relief to someone since there is no big fish worth overspending on.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
I think were just going to end up taking on a bad contract for some kind of payment, similar to the Armia deal.

The exact opposite of what both leaders on the team want. Weber and Price both said they don't want to wait.

Why do I feel like someone was blowing a huge bubble gum and it just burst in our faces...

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018

Because Aho is better than both.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
markovsknee said:
If that's the case then why not just sign the dude? What's with the low ball offers? Kid put up 83 pts last year with very little help.
Why pay him more if you can save a mil or two? You know you can match any offer, try to get the best possible deal unless someone forces your hand. Seeing how he's an RFA and can't just up and leave, might as well use whatever leverage you have in the negotiations.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If Molson wants to shell out a massive signing bonus to Sebastian Aho he could be ours. Not sure we go that route but we have the means to make it very very difficult for the Canes to match.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Still waiting for Lee/Gardiner to be off the market, so I can go do something else without worrying...

Pretty much. What else is there to look forward to?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Correct me if I'm wrong but the LTIR cap space only becomes "active" once the season has started so they have to be cap compliant with the 5.3M before the start of the season

You're allowed to be 10% over the cap in the off-season, which is like $89m right now. As long as they don't go over $86.8m, they'll be able to put $5,3m onto LTIR and be cap compliant. Currently, they're at $75.2m. That leaves them with $11.6m to sign Marner. But that leaves them with $0 cap space tho.

Reactions: NoQuinn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad