GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - Halloween Edition - The next scream you hear may be your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
From last year. Is this really that different?

Dickinson 21 pts - Hintz 33 pts - Perry 21 pts
Cogliano 14 pts - Faksa 20 pts - Comeau 16 pts

Jankowski 7 pts - McCann 35 pts - Rodrigues 10 pts
Tanev 25 pts - Bleuger 22 pts - Sceviour 16 pts

Dallas bottom 6 got 9 goals between them. Can our bottom 6 do that in the playoff?

Tbh, the big question to my mind is fit and chemistry more than talent.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm honestly expecting the third line to end up being McCann-Blueger-Tanev before very long, with some combination of ZAR, Lafferty, Jankowski, Rodrigues and Sceviour making up the fourth line, depending on performance and injuries.

With the roster the Pens have, I think going that way would make the most sense. That third line would mostly be a shutdown line, but there's some ability to score mixed in as well. The fourth line is pretty much pure "don't get scored on for the next 40 seconds while we give the top lines a rest" at that point.

I'm just going off the very basic numbers. I just don't get why people think our bottom six is such a wreck. E-Rod and Jankowski are 0 risk NHLers. McCann is a bottom six player who is good for 10 goals. Same with Tanev. We have promising players in Bleuger, Lafferty and Poulin that could push for bigger roles. I like it.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think that is Jankowski or E-Rod tbh.

Somewhat different - they're on one-way contracts. They're the depth that stays on the NHL roster, as opposed to the guys they sign primarily to help out WB/S. I don't think Rodrigues or Jankowski are slated to start the season in the AHL...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm honestly expecting the third line to end up being McCann-Blueger-Tanev before very long, with some combination of ZAR, Lafferty, Jankowski, Rodrigues and Sceviour making up the fourth line, depending on performance and injuries.

With the roster the Pens have, I think going that way would make the most sense. That third line would mostly be a shutdown line, but there's some ability to score mixed in as well. The fourth line is pretty much pure "don't get scored on for the next 40 seconds while we give the top lines a rest" at that point.

You forgot about Sully’s tattoo

BvqD4wwIAAAif7K.png

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I wanted 1 quality player instead of a couple depth pieces, but I can't be too mad with the signings. Cheap and short. It gives them some flexibility to try Jankowski, McCann, or Blueger at 3C and Blueger, Jankowski, E-Rod, or Lafferty at 4C. Gives Poulin a legit shot at making the roster at some point. Unless they do something else stupid like getting MAF back at only 50% retained, they'll have some room to make moves in season.

Not what I wanted, but at least JMFJ and Schultz are not only gone, but on division rivals now.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm just going off the very basic numbers. I just don't get why people think our bottom six is such a wreck. E-Rod and Jankowski are 0 risk NHLers. McCann is a bottom six player who is good for 10 goals. Same with Tanev. We have promising players in Bleuger, Lafferty and Poulin that could push for bigger roles. I like it.

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but I generally expect goal scoring to end up distributed something like this among the forward lines:
20-35-20
15-25-15
10-15-10
5-5-5

Move some goals around based on personnel, but it roughly works out that way for most teams.
With the Pens, we've come to expect both the top two lines to score like first lines. We're basically setup for next season with:
Guentzel: 30 - Crosby: 30 - Kapanen:20
Zucker: 20 - Malkin: 25 - Rust: 20
With a good chance that Guentzel, Malkin and/or Rust will score more than that.
If we assume my lines from earlier, it goes on with:
McCann: 15 - Blueger: 10 - Tanev: 10
ZAR: 5, Rodrigues: 5, Jankowski: 5, Sceviour: 5, Lafferty: 5

With McCann having a decent chance of scoring more. So it basically lines up with the Pens doing a bit better than average.
That's not bad. Whether that's good enough to be a Cup contender is another story, but it's at least not a bad way to start the season.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
From last year. Is this really that different?

Dickinson 21 pts - Hintz 33 pts - Perry 21 pts
Cogliano 14 pts - Faksa 20 pts - Comeau 16 pts

Jankowski 7 pts - McCann 35 pts - Rodrigues 10 pts
Tanev 25 pts - Bleuger 22 pts - Sceviour 16 pts

I see a questionable 3C being flanked by 4th liners in our lineup.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

If the lineup stays as is, our saving grace would be Poulin developing, McCann figuring out center and running Poulin-McCann-Tanev. Or, if Erod or Jankowksi can be the 4C, move Blueger up.

Too many question marks for me.

Reactions: Ryder71

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Are you including Perry in that because 3 of his goals came with Seguin no?

Yeah on Perry's goals. Dunno who they came with.

Let's do this a different way...

Minus Pavelski and Seguin, Dallas scored 15 goals - so that's the bottom six on ice target. Although, of course, maybe they don't need to score that many if they don't concede 25...

Minus Cirelli and Point, Tampa scored 23 goals and conceded 17.

Minus Schenn and O'Reilly, St Louis scored 24 goals and conceded 22.

Minus Krejci and Bergeron, Boston scored 25 goals and conceded 19

Minus Kuznetsov and Backstrom, Washington scored 21 goals and conceded 18

Minus Karlsson and Haula, Vegas scored 12 goals and conceded 8.

Minus Crosby and Malkin, we went 24-16 in 15-16, and 18-17 in 16-17.

So Dallas' bottom 6 were kinda weedy and not really to be praised.

And the question for our bottom 6 is "Can we score 20 goals in the playoff with them on the ice". Which in itself isn't all about them, but also about Letang and Matheson and Marino.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad