GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - Halloween Edition - The next scream you hear may be your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I would t put it that way unless Sully wanted to change things. He’s wanted L3 to be able to score. Right now it looks slightly below average.

Not saying it has to be a pure scoring line. Although if that’s what we got that’s what we got and it becomes more so about possession and the top 6 has to capitalize on a worn down opponent
It's just gotta be something. The third line has had a bunch of "good" names for years, but they play worse as a sum of their parts than you'd expect. If they can cycle and wear opponents down so you can throw Sid or Geno out against slow, tired guys, that works. If they have the kind of offensive capability to (realistically, not just on paper) be a threat to score against weaker opposition since Sid and Geno will be blanketed by the other guys' best--that works too.

Reactions: Freeptop

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wouldnt put it that way unless Sully really wanted to change things. He’s wanted L3 to be able to score. Right now it looks slightly below average.

Not saying it has to be a pure scoring line. Although if that’s what we got that’s what we got and it becomes more so about possession and the top 6 has to capitalize on a worn down opponent

He has, but he's also wanted the Pens to be a defensively-sound, speedy, attacking, straight line team, which we got away from for a few years. As for the 3rd line, we'll see who sticks and who doesn't, but at the moment there's a bunch of 30-35 point guys and a guy who performed at that level previously, which is about what anyone should realistically expect from their 3rd line. Maybe Kapenen will end up there and boost the totals. Maybe Jankowski regains his form. Who knows? But it doesn't seem that far off from what the 3rd line was when Kessel was in the top 6 for stretches.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And the question is does bumping one of Kapanen, Zucker, or Rust out of the top six achieve that goal because that is probably what we will logically see them do if they add another piece up front.

Possibly. Part of me wonders how long it is before we're trying Tanev or Rodrigues in the top 6, with Kapanen on the third line.

I'm trying to decide whether the current group could do it if everything went to plan. A lot would depend on McCann being able to hit his offensive heights as the best offensive player on his line, which I don't feel super sanguine about.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Possibly. Part of me wonders how long it is before we're trying Tanev or Rodrigues in the top 6, with Kapanen on the third line.

I'm trying to decide whether the current group could do it if everything went to plan. A lot would depend on McCann being able to hit his offensive heights as the best offensive player on his line, which I don't feel super sanguine about.

If we hit that level, Sully should be fired. :laugh: And then trade some of those players.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I think there's a strong chance Kap goes blinders mode and he frustrates 87 and 71. I'm fine with moving a 1st for him as long as he is at least an impact 3rd liner here. I think at the bare minimum he can be that. Ideally, he carves out a role in the top 6 longterm.

Reactions: Peat and Gurglesons

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow / Maroon - Paquette - Verhaeghe / Volkov really that much better than what we have?

Like Gourde is the only player that I see on that bottom six that is a notable improvement over what we have in ours and he costs Tampa 5+ mil.

I'd argue it's worth it to have that kind of anchor talent in the bottom 6.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He has, but he's also wanted the Pens to be a defensively-sound, speedy, attacking, straight line team, which we got away from for a few years. As for the 3rd line, we'll see who sticks and who doesn't, but at the moment there's a bunch of 30-35 point guys and a guy who performed at that level previously, which is about what anyone should realistically expect from their 3rd line. Maybe Kapenen will end up there and boost the totals. Maybe Jankowski regains his form. Who knows? But it doesn't seem that far off from what the 3rd line was when Kessel was in the top 6 for stretches.

It comes back to the 3C really. You need a good pivot who plays smart and can dish.

I’m happy for that to be Blueger as I think he’s capable albeit not as of a proven commodity as I’d like. A better more proven winger on that line to go with say McCann/Teddy and then you’ve got a decent line.

Get Craig Smith cheap is what I’m hoping for(long shot). Many will be in on him though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm just going off the very basic numbers. I just don't get why people think our bottom six is such a wreck. E-Rod and Jankowski are 0 risk NHLers. McCann is a bottom six player who is good for 10 goals. Same with Tanev. We have promising players in Bleuger, Lafferty and Poulin that could push for bigger roles. I like it.
Poulin - complete unknown

Lafferty - unknown but does every team have 2 or 3 Lafferty’s?

“no risk nhlers” - aka warm bodies

Tanev is fine but drastically overpaid

McCann is solid but mehhh as a 3C

This bottom six is still trash

Reactions: ncm7772

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think there's a strong chance Kap goes blinders mode and he frustrates 87 and 71. I'm fine with moving a 1st for him as long as he is at least an impact 3rd liner here. I think at the bare minimum he can be that. Ideally, he carves out a role in the top 6 longterm.

Yeah I can def see Kap being on 3rd line come playoffs. Especially if Poulin pans out(we do a repeat of Rust and Guentzel). Even if not then we add someone for Sid's line. There will be plenty available and even this deadline wont cost as much as it used to.

This is definitely the season teams can get players for way cheaper at or near deadline. Hell there may be some FAs that havent signed with a team yet.

I think too many are worried about our bottom 6 right now. Like I said...at least we only have two players signed for longer than 1 year. We dont need to have the bottom 6 set before season starts. Its something to work on all season. And that is how you get a player or two to break out.

As opposed to a team like the Caps who signed their whole bottom 6 to longterm deals after they won it all. You never do that. Maybe a few players but you need to leave spots open. We learned that with Kennedy back then..and the Gladams line.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

If B. Tanev is "on his game" that night, best believe he's gonna get double shifted with Sid. No matter what coach or gm we have, it happens

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But, we don't need a Brodie in our line-up. We need a Matheson.

Realistically is this team any better..

bottom six of

Rodrigues - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

bottom two pairings of

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Riikola - Ruhwedel

To me that team is worse. Also Toronto is generously over the cap now.

I'd argue this team is better.

Hornqvist wasn't a great fit on that line, but he was something.

If you gave Blueger the same exact usage that they gave Bonino that year, I bet he'd hit 37 points in 80 games too.

If he's used at 3C, I guess we'll see. I don't think 37 points are quite that easy for a 3C.

Reactions: ownal

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
4hzmbz.jpg

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Until he puts up 30-35 pts one year and then you all want him outta here because we lost all our depth because we tied up 5 mil in a 3C when we have a promising young C in Bleuger who Sully hates cos he dates his niece!!!

After the 3C debacles we've had, I'll never criticize 35 points.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Lol. Krug and Faulk on the same team. Ew.

Probably means Pietrangelo goes to Vegas. Toronto were in on him and got Brodie, St Louis just signed Krug. Maybe they know they ain’t getting him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we hit that level, Sully should be fired. :laugh: And then trade some of those players.

I don't think that's really on Sullivan tbh. Rutherford went out and got a guy who's been an inconsistent top 6 fit in the NHL to round out our top 6 - you'd hope Sullivan can help him find the good days and make them consistent but if he doesn't, that's not hugely on him in my book. If it doesn't work, he's got try something else - and what other right wings does he have other than Tanev and Rodrigues? Lafferty? Sceviour? McCann and play someone on their off wing? Tanev at least fits an archetype of a player both Sid and Geno have done well with, and both he and Rodrigues were productive in their tiny samples with high end Cs at their previous orgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad