Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
My prediction for defence next season

Edler-Barrie
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Rafferty

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Pardon my stupidity, but this is the first time I've seen the expression "grab the bag" being used and often too. I guess it just means "take the best deal"?

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
I have zero interest in bringing back tanev.
The team is going to basically be the same except with a worse goalie.
And this is one of the huge losses we got for signing absolutely awful contracts in Loui Beagle Ferland and And rooster.

Not to mention myers.

This is a huge blow, the mistakes really screwed us with this deal

I suspect the bad contracts had something to do with this but not in the cap related way that people might think. I have no doubt that they would have signed him for 2 years, which is the period when they still have the bulk of the bad contracts, for $6 million (or more) per year. However, I don't think ownership, having been burned in real dollars in other deals, are at all keen on giving term to players that age.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Good luck to Marky (except when he plays us)

There was obviously not going to be any hometown discount..although if he had peaked earlier in his career,he possibly may have...
I'm assuming - like Toffoli - that there was a willingness to take a discount but the discount wasn't low enough for them to be able to do it.

Reactions: ugghhh

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Not seeing Markstrom In a Canucks jersey is bad enough, actually seeing how he looks with the Calgary Flames jersey, it’s just brutal.

Seriously, just look at him.

I think first pictured an Oilers jersey, had a small stroke, then asked Calgary where to sign.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Come on Calgary, get Barrie too!

Good for Markstrom. He's earned that contract. Sucks to have to face him so often. This could actually get the Flames over the hump.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
This could be the beginning of the end for Elmer. The following could be disastrous:
  1. Holtby plays at around a 900svp which is a slight decline from his play last year as a result of age related decline and playing behind a worst defense;
  2. Demko plays the way he played for 95% of the year, I.e., 905svp; and
  3. Barrie signs, Tanev signs elsewhere and Edler declines at a rapid rate fitting for his age, with the end result being a slightly better offensive blue line at the expense of a much poor defensive blue line.
If the above three occur, or even a combination, we could be bottom five in goals against, which would almost certainly lead to missing the playoffs by a fair bit.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Come on Calgary, get Barrie too!

Good for Markstrom. He's earned that contract. Sucks to have to face him so often. This could actually get the Flames over the hump.
Debatable..but most likely would have pushed the Oilers over the hump..

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This could be the beginning of the end for Elmer. The following could be disastrous:
  1. Holtby plays at around a 900svp which is a slight decline from his play last year as a result of age related decline and playing behind a worst defense;
  2. Demko plays the way he played for 95% of the year, I.e., 905svp;
  3. Barrie signs, Tanev signs elsewhere and Edler declines at a rapid rate fitting for his age, with the end result being a slightly better offensive blue line at the expense of a much poor defensive blue line.

4. Green has a blood vessel in his head pop due to the poor defensive play and need to go all out on offense.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Not gonna lie. Pretty bummed about losing Markstrom, regardless of the contract he got. Sucks to see him in a Flames jersey. One of my favourite Canucks.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
4. Green has a blood vessel in his head pop due to the poor defensive play and need to go all out on offense.

That’s the other interesting aspect. Green system was very much defense first relying a ton on goaltending. These changes are going to require a pretty big change by Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad