GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Edition!

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Compher was an painful yet acceptable loss to get ROR, a top two way center. That equation only went wildly out of balance when we traded ROR.
He was obviously a big piece to the acquisition but we gave up a ton on that trade for a guy whose career high was 64 points at the time and had signed a offersheet/had some baggage with Colorado management

Compher (very good 2-way center with high potential), 2 1st round picks (Zadorov and Grigorenko), 2nd round pick for ROR and McGinn, a cap dump.

In hindsight, if we never made that trade, we'd look really good right now.

Vesey-Eichel-Oloffson
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Johansson-Compher-Rodrigues
Sheary-Larsson-Okposo
Smith-Girgensons

Dahlin-Miller (assume we traded a different 2nd rounder)
Zadorov-Montour
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe

Hutton
Ullmark

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Complaining about trading away TJ Compher in a package for ROR is one of the weirdest takes I’ve seen on this board. And I was a HUGE Compher fan watching him at Michigan.

We got one of the best young centers in the NHL back in the trade...who ended up winning a Conn Smythe.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He was obviously a big piece to the acquisition but we gave up a ton on that trade for a guy whose career high was 64 points at the time and had signed a offersheet/had some baggage with Colorado management

Compher (very good 2-way center with high potential), 2 1st round picks (Zadorov and Grigorenko), 2nd round pick for ROR and McGinn, a cap dump.

In hindsight, if we never made that trade, we'd look really good right now.

Vesey-Eichel-Oloffson
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Johansson-Compher-Rodrigues
Sheary-Larsson-Okposo
Smith-Girgensons

Dahlin-Miller (assume we traded a different 2nd rounder)
Zadorov-Montour
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe

Hutton
Ullmark
We'd look even better if we never made the second ROR trade

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So, what do we even look like right now?

My best guess was:

NHL
SkinnerEichelVesey
OlofssonRodriguesReinhart
ShearyMittelstadtJohansson
GirgensonsLarssonOkposo
McCabeMontour
DahlinMiller
HunwickRistolainen
Hutton
Ullmark
C.SmithScandellaNelson
AHL
NylanderAsplundThompson
LeierBurtonDea
EliePorterLazar
WilsonMaloneCornel
BrysonRedmond
GilmourBorgen
MacWilliamFitzgerald
Hammond
Johansson
RandellD.SmithOglevie
HickeyPaetschGosselin
LTIREurope
PilutRuotsalainen
BogosianSobotka
Luukkonen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Feels like too many bodies, bodies in the wrong spots (line 1, yuck), a team actually over the cap depending on what the deal is with Sobotka...

This feels like someone spilled blue cheese on a 1/2 finished puzzle...

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Paging @dotcommunism ...

Sabres need one of McCabe ullmark ERod or Larsson to go to arbitration in order for second buyout window to open, correct?
No. It will still open even if no one actually ends up in an arbitration hearing. In the absence of any players going to a hearing, the window will open on the third day following the settlement of the last arbitration case (settlement meaning the player and team agree to terms on a contract).

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Complaining about trading away TJ Compher in a package for ROR is one of the weirdest takes I’ve seen on this board. And I was a HUGE Compher fan watching him at Michigan.

We got one of the best young centers in the NHL back in the trade...who ended up winning a Conn Smythe.

It’s because prospects are valued a lot more than actual players.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
So, what do we even look like right now?

My best guess was:

NHL
SkinnerEichelVesey
OlofssonRodriguesReinhart
ShearyMittelstadtJohansson
GirgensonsLarssonOkposo
McCabeMontour
DahlinMiller
HunwickRistolainen
Hutton
Ullmark
C.SmithScandellaNelson
AHL
NylanderAsplundThompson
LeierBurtonDea
EliePorterLazar
WilsonMaloneCornel
BrysonRedmond
GilmourBorgen
MacWilliamFitzgerald
Hammond
Johansson
RandellD.SmithOglevie
HickeyPaetschGosselin
LTIREurope
PilutRuotsalainen
BogosianSobotka
Luukkonen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Feels like too many bodies, bodies in the wrong spots (line 1, yuck), a team actually over the cap depending on what the deal is with Sobotka...

This feels like someone spilled blue cheese on a 1/2 finished puzzle...

At this point theres even more crap that needs to be removed from the roster than talented players added.

Why won't someone just trade us an elite two way center for all of our garbage?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
At this point theres even more crap that needs to be removed from the roster than talented players added.

Why won't someone just trade us an elite two way center for all of our garbage?

I mean, who was that GM who gave away the conn smythe winner for a few draft picks and salary dumps? Let's call him.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I mean, who was that GM who gave away the conn smythe winner for a few draft picks and salary dumps? Let's call him.
holding-on.jpg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I’m lazy... what’s the rumored asking price for Brian Boyle? It can’t be unaffordable, so I assume he’s trying to choose a contender? Anyone willing to give him 2 years at $1M total above his best non-Sabres offer to come to BUF? I would. Does $3M per eliminate other bidders?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What do we think of Oscar Lindberg as a sort of under the radar, low risk 3rd line center option?
Lindberg Knights.PNG

This fancy graph seems to suggest that this season with the Knights Lindberg made pretty much everyone he played with (with the exception of Holden) significantly better. That's one of the most incredibly clean cut WOWY graph's I've ever seen. It's anti-Sobotka level.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Bonino has been much talked about as a common sense target. My question is, is he still actually good? Or is he on the fast track to Sobotka-ville?

This is why the Preds want Sissons to move into Bonino's role. I think he's a target of Botterill's due to his familiarity with him, and he fills what I imagine Botts seeing as a defensive middle-6 center role.

Reactions: SabresFan26

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Bonino es no bueno. The only reason he's brought up in a positive light is because of his excellent playoff run with the Pens in 15-16. Outside of that, he's not very good.

I would take Lindberg, though.

Reactions: Husko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad