GDT: Free Agent "Frenzy": Day 2 and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I don't think there should be as much surprise as there is that Hall wound up in Buffalo. People assume he'd have his pick of teams to go to but reality is he just is not as coveted a player as people think.

I try to explain this position to people all the time...

Reactions: HK97

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think there should be as much surprise as there is that Hall wound up in Buffalo. People assume he'd have his pick of teams to go to but reality is he just is not as coveted a player as people think.

He likes Krueger, just bought a new home in the Toronto area. I get it. If it doesn't work out he probably has a handshake deal that Buffalo trades him at the deadline to a contender.

Reactions: nabob

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

The guy just got an 8 million dollar deal in the tightest cap crunch off season since the cap was implemented.

They're also saying his previous relationship with Kreuger was a big part of him picking Buffalo.

Using this example as evidence that he isn't coveted seems weird.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The guy just got an 8 million dollar deal in the tightest cap crunch off season since the cap was implemented.

They're also saying his previous relationship with Kreuger was a big part of him picking Buffalo.

Using this example as evidence that he isn't coveted seems weird.

I think he's not AS coveted as people like to think. I'm sure other teams offered but probably not willing to give him much.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Taylor Hall in Buffalo??? Wtf?????

He ain't winning shit there

Hall to Buffalo is hilarious. Only place willing to pay him 8 mill. Too funny. And his one year contract is so that he can make more next year. Rotflmao.

Garbage player to a garbage team for as much money as he can get on the open market.

Wow.

I called that Hall would sign for money but this is even more embarrassing than I thought it would be.

His legacy will be as one of the biggest losers in hockey.

People here thought he would sign for 6 or less...

I'm so glad the sad Hall rumors are dead and I hope dead for good. Don't want to hear his name closely linked to the team again.

Last edited:
Reactions: DropTheGloves

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I try to explain this position to people all the time...

Ya imo, he's got the rep of maybe not being a good team guy and just a player who might not understand how to play the right way in terms of winning games. He's good and consistent at getting personal points but GMs nowadays can see through that. There's good reason he got passed over for the Olympics when he, at the time was having a career year. There's a reason he kept getting passed over for the World Cup when wingers (specifically LW) were getting injured before that roster was set.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
U gotta figure Vegas will be in trouble with cap when AP signs there for a few years down the road

NHL radio was going on about how this is going to catch up with them. Every year they sign a guy and want to move on the next year is likely going to hurt their reputation as well, they figure.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall to Buffalo is hilarious. Only place willing to pay him 8 mill. Too funny. And his one year contract is so that he can make more next year. Rotflmao.

Garbage player to a garbage team for as much money as he can get on the open market.

Wow.

I called that Hall would sign for money but this is even more embarrassing than I thought it would be.

His legacy will be as one of the biggest lovers in hockey.

If the Oilers offered that I think he would have signed here. Maybe 6.5. But for Calgary or Montreal? Nope.

McDavid would have talked him into it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Wow.

I'm so glad the sad Hall rumors are dead and I hope dead for good. Don't want to hear his name closely linked to the team again.

But he's signing next year after the Oilers clear cap. So get ready for another year of Hall coming home.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not sure I’d welcome him after this TBH. I’ve lost a lot of respect for Hall. He’s someone who had the opportunity to integrate himself on a contender from the start of the season, and instead chose to chase a paycheque. I don’t think players like that embody the right mindset needed to win.

i have actually gained respect for him. He’s responsible to himself. He’s also going to a smaller market with the goal of making them a playoff team. If they fail he’ll get traded to a playoff team of his choosing. Not sure how that doesn’t say he wants to win.

Then he gets to reset next year when hopefully the market is good and a team that he want to sign long term with can afford him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Wow.

please don’t paste this on the mains. It’s embarrassing to read something this petty posted by an Oilers fan. It’s 1000x worse than how petty Leaf fans are being about Barrie.

Reactions: Seachd

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Wow.

To be honest I'm really surprised he actually got that much ($8 mil). But i guess Buffalo had cap space and it's only one year. I would guess other teams were significantly below that and Hall's narrative of wanting to go to a contender flipped because 5-6 mil is just way too much less.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
But he's signing next year after the Oilers clear cap. So get ready for another year of Hall coming home.

Hall be will be turning 30 next year
Not sure if a teams want to invest big money on him by that point

Halls idea of a discount in a flat cap world is 8mill...

No way we can afford him next year unless people really want Smith in net again and the team in even worse cap hell.

He is 30. A one dimensional winger. Injury prone. And greedy as possible. His teams do worse with him on it and there is smoke that he is not a good locker room guy...

Why wouldn't Oilers fans want him next year...

Reactions: HK97

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I think this BS goes on all the time (see: Patrick Kane in either 2015 or 2016. Injured, team loads up cap wise and then he returns healthy as can be once the playoffs start. No cap in playoffs.

What I don’t see is any player making a commitment like that when he is owed nothing and he stops shopping for a new team. A week out from camp? Ya, I could see a few vets trying stuff like that on PTOs. But not now with nothing to gain and lots to lose.
I was thinking of this the other day. Honestly, if this happened with Klef it may be the ideal situation. Obviously having him 100% all year would be best, but if we could use his cap space all year, and still get a playoff spot...

Knowing how the league plays favourites though (which we are not one of them) they'd probably suspect something and punish us through some means.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I wonder if the salaries will be prorated if they do play in Jan 2021 in relation to 82 games. Ie if they only play 54-55 games do they only get 2/3 of their salary.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Lmao here comes the guy who lurked NJ's board just to bash Hall throughout his stay there. Nobody should be taking this guys opinion seriously anyone liking his posts show their lack of good judgement.

Reactions: TB12 and nabob

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Halls idea of a discount in a flat cap world is 8mill...

No way we can afford him next year unless people really want Smith in net again and the team in even worse cap hell.

He is 30. A one dimensional winger. Injury prone. And greedy as possible. His teams do worse with him on it and there is smoke that he is not a good locker room guy...

Why wouldn't Oilers fans want him next year...

But he's the next Messier k. Look at the foreheads and how they skate. But especially the forehead.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Next offseason is clear.
  • Throw money at Hamilton, let him know embarassing Calgary is worth its own fortune.
  • Bring Hall home, otherwise fall back on other LWs (Landeskog, Schwartz)
  • Sign a more traditional matchup center (Bozak, Cizikas, Z. Smith, Lowry, Laughton, Getzlaf).
  • Trade for a goalie from Seattle after the expansion draft (or prior to, from exposed teams).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad