GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What he said was incredibly racist and offensive. Just because you didn’t feel the same doesn’t change that. The lack of empathy in this world is sad and tragic.
I love it when white people tell minorities how they should feel or what they should do, as if they're smarter than us. You don't think that's racist?

Reactions: Realgud

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I love it when white people tell minorities how they should feel or what they should do, as if they're smarter than us. You don't think that's racist?
Well when minorities point out racism then people here complain about them playing the race card. And I don't think the person you're quoting was telling anyone how to feel.

Don Cherry had become a doddering caricature of himself. He could barely string a coherent sentence together anymore. One of the rare times he does it's for an anti-immigrant rant about wearing poppies. People can try and remove it from context by keying on him saying "you people" but it was pretty clearly anti-immigrant.

An old white guy lost his job as an on-air personality because his personality was dated and at times offensive. It happens.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Did you just assume a hockey fan is white with no evidence whatsoever? That's racist af...
No, I made the assumptions based on what he said, mainly the word "empathy". Rather than saying it pisses him off because he's a minority. I live halfway between Vancouver and Seattle, both of which have a lot of Asian hockey fans.

People can try and remove it from context by keying on him saying "you people" but it was pretty clearly anti-immigrant.
"You people" definitely implies a person of a different race, but I've heard every racial group use that term. But this conversation started because Ulysses said "What cherry called those people was absolutely disgusting". There's nothing in the videos with derogatory terminology other than "you people" which in the bigger scheme of things is much less objectionable than some of the shit I've dealt with in my lifetime, much less the insults thrown around here, lol.

Cherry is a xenophobic moron, I'm not backing him up by any means but it's overblown. He wasn't gonna get a contract extension anyways, because like you said he's a babbling idiot that really had nothing to add to the game. His old school views towards hockey aren't relevant anymore.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No, I made the assumptions based on what he said, mainly the word "empathy". Rather than saying it pisses him off because he's a minority. I live halfway between Vancouver and Seattle, both of which have a lot of Asian hockey fans.

I believe they were referring to your lack of empathy,

Or are you implying only white people would use the word empathy? /s

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The good news is you guys solved racism so we can move on to another topic such as free agency and the lack of frenzy we all feel.

That is to say we should steer the conversation to things explicitly about hockey. Other discussion will be removed from here out. Thanks for understanding, champs.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The good news is you guys solved racism so we can move on to another topic such as free agency and the lack of frenzy we all feel.

That is to say we should steer the conversation to things explicitly about hockey. Other discussion will be removed from here out. Thanks for understanding, champs.
Do we need this thread at all at this point?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Do we need this thread at all at this point?

I AM STILL FRENZIED ABOUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH DAN CLEARY.

That is to say... no, I don't believe we need this anymore. Kadri was the last FA domino to fall.

However, thinking another way... there is sure to be trade/cap invite movement... would that make sense to keep here in the lead up to the season? Because teams are going to have to make moves to be cap compliant with a roster that doesn't require every skater to take the third night off and those remaining to double shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad