GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It's only a problem if he wants to play because his salary is $6M. It's a really good deal if he plays zero games, but IIRC the team still has to pay 20% even with insurance. $1.2M for a 1st is a bargain.
He is only 27 almost 28 on a contract year he could still redeem his career. I think it would have been a solid gamble.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He is only 27 almost 28 on a contract year he could still redeem his career. I think it would have been a solid gamble.

Hip surgery on both sides, and he didn't skate the same after the first one. He should be more concerned about long term health and just quit. I'm sure he wants to redeem his career though, and that's the $6M risk (actual salary for next season) that Montreal is taking for a first.

When he plays he's gonna look like Ericsson playing forward (different type of hip issue though). Didn;t work out too well for Juolevi either.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
10 team NTC, who knows id the Wings were on that list or not.

Definitely worth a first if insurance covers his injury. He'll be LTIR for at least half the season, and in the press box or AHL for the other half.

Feel sorry for his injuries, but at least he's set for life financially.
But yet he just waived to the worst team in the NHL, Go figure.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But yet he just waived to the worst team in the NHL, Go figure.
List of 10 teams he can't be traded to. A lot of times it's based on taxes, CA teams are often on there. Dadonov rejected his trade to LA. There's no indication Monahan waived anything, Montreal might not have been on the list. No idea if Detroit was or wasn't.

Plus in his case, if he wants to redeem his career he'll get more playing time with a dumpster team. Same reason why Bobby Ryan signed with the Wings. The Wings currently have a full roster.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What cherry called those people was absolutely disgusting
"You People"?

As an immigrant (US not Canada), I didn't find his rant all that offensive unless there's more than the poppy segment.

Funny thing is, I knew he got fired for saying something stupid, but never bothered to look it up until now. The YouTube clip is pretty tame, I thought it was gonna be much dumber, lol.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
"You People"?

As an immigrant (US not Canada), I didn't find his rant all that offensive unless there's more than the poppy segment.

Funny thing is, I knew he got fired for saying something stupid, but never bothered to look it up until now. The YouTube clip is pretty tame, I thought it was gonna be much dumber, lol.
Ha, there's lots more. This incident was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. He's been a rampant xenophobe and racist his whole life, and it's leaked out on his broadcasts a million times. Mostly in a passive way that seemed harmless to most for many years, but it added up. And then it ran right up against our modern times where, while people complain about cancel culture, I subscribe to the idea that all it really is people who have never really experienced consequences for being shitty finally experiencing those consequences. And many want to be babies about it and run into the arms of Jordan Peterson or some other pigeon. F*** around and find out indeed. Anyway, sorry, got a little ranty there.....

Growing up in Detroit I watched him every Saturday night for years and years, like many, from the late 80s to early 2000s. My neighbor had his entire collection of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em VHSs that I'd borrow all the time. I loved the dude as a kid. Loved his knowledge of the game, his rants, his bombastic nature, his interactions with sidekick Ron MacLean. But as I grew and learned, traveled the world, went to war, cemented my values as an adult.... I eventually realized that, largely, Don Cherry is just a sad, little man. Kind of the opposite of how I saw him as a kid. I stopped paying any attention to him. And then when he finally got the boot, the only real thought I had was, "huh, I'm surprised it took that long."

I'm just glad that when it comes to loud/bombastic/xenophobic/racist/conspiracy theory/angry media personalities, I was only ever a part of the Don Cherry cult, via hockey, and not Rush Limbaugh or Alex Jones or one of those other full-blown evil lunatics :laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ha, there's lots more. This incident was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. He's been a rampant xenophobe and racist his whole life, and it's leaked out on his broadcasts a million times. Mostly in a passive way that seemed harmless to most for many years, but it added up. And then it ran right up against our modern times where, while people complain about cancel culture, I subscribe to the idea that all it really is people who have never really experienced consequences for being shitty finally experiencing those consequences. And many want to be babies about it and run into the arms of Jordan Peterson or some other pigeon. F*** around and find out indeed. Anyway, sorry, got a little ranty there.....

Growing up in Detroit I watched him every Saturday night for years and years, like many, from the late 80s to early 2000s. My neighbor had his entire collection of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em VHSs that I'd borrow all the time. I loved the dude as a kid. Loved his knowledge of the game, his rants, his bombastic nature, his interactions with sidekick Ron MacLean. But as I grew and learned, traveled the world, went to war, cemented my values as an adult.... I eventually realized that, largely, Don Cherry is just a sad, little man. Kind of the opposite of how I saw him as a kid. I stopped paying any attention to him. And then when he finally got the boot, the only real thought I had was, "huh, I'm surprised it took that long."

I'm just glad that when it comes to loud/bombastic/xenophobic/racist/conspiracy theory/angry media personalities, I was only ever a part of the Don Cherry cult, via hockey, and not Rush Limbaugh or Alex Jones or one of those other full-blown evil lunatics :laugh:
All true, but I was looking for actual quotes.

Having lived in the US for over 4 decades, I'm sorta numb to that kind of shit anyways. Besides, I don't want to get into a political argument.... just looking for exact words because the poppy incident is pretty tame. Granted SportsNet probably had a a lot of complaints before the incident, and used it as a reason to fire him so they won't be sued. Rumor was that they weren't renewing his contract.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Having lived in the US for over 4 decades, I'm sorta numb to that kind of shit anyways. Besides, I don't want to get into a political argument.... just looking for exact words because the poppy incident is pretty tame. Granted SportsNet probably had a a lot of complaints before the incident, and used it as a reason to fire him so they won't be sued. Rumor was that they weren't renewing his contract.
Yeah, not trying to argue politics either, despite me teeing off there a bit (not at you, just into the void).

Don Cherry examples

That article has a sample platter. I'm sure someone else has a longer list somewhere.

I mean, the poppy thing on the face of it maybe didn't seem that bad. But what he was implying was pretty damn offensive. For a guy who likes to prop up the military and veterans (which I've found over the years to be a huge red flag.... these people are more often than not using the military to their own selfish benefit), he sure is ignorant of the military. Canada, like the US, allows immigrants to serve in the military, often as a way to expedite citizenship. I've known several from my time in the military.

So for Cherry, who has never served (and no, I don't give a shit how many of his relatives served nor how much he puts dead soldiers on his show) to be celebrating military members out of one side of his mouth while disparaging immigrants out of the other side, is gross. I'm sure if you confronted him about this, he'd walk it back or talk about exceptions or some other bullshit, but... yeah, no. Go to hell with that.

At the very best, he's a lazy, shallow thinker who punches down and stereotypes (because the guy isn't happy unless he's running on pure emotion) and, because he has (had) a platform, he was doing harm to the immigrant community. I'm fine with firing him just for that.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
He called them "you people"...
dog-whistle.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
At the very best, he's a lazy, shallow thinker who punches down and stereotypes (because the guy isn't happy unless he's running on pure emotion) and, because he has (had) a platform, he was doing harm to the immigrant community. I'm fine with firing him just for that.

kick down. Punch up.

EmhaX9BXYAAuTcU.jpg:large

Reactions: jaster

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
What would it take to trade for or sign UFA Pastranak (if he makes it) next year?

Boston only has their C core for 1 more year then likely will rebuild.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What would it take to trade for or sign UFA Pastranak (if he makes it) next year?

Boston only has their C core for 1 more year then likely will rebuild.

I would imagine north of 9 mil for 7 or 8 years. Pasta has been one of the top scoring wingers in the league for a while now. I think Boston offer him the moon to stay though. That team hasn’t gone through a full on rebuild since I’ve been watching hockey.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would imagine north of 9 mil for 7 or 8 years. Pasta has been one of the top scoring wingers in the league for a while now. I think Boston offer him the moon to stay though. That team hasn’t gone through a full on rebuild since I’ve been watching hockey.

They had one-year tank on the year when it was Seguin/Hall -draft. Since then it has been continuous success for Bruins. Marchand panning out better than anybody expected has been a huge deal.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022

What he said was incredibly racist and offensive. Just because you didn’t feel the same doesn’t change that. The lack of empathy in this world is sad and tragic.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
They had one-year tank on the year when it was Seguin/Hall -draft. Since then it has been continuous success for Bruins. Marchand panning out better than anybody expected has been a huge deal.

That wasn’t even a tank. The Seguin/Hall draft was Toronto’s pick that was traded for Phil Kessel which is hilarious. Boston made the playoffs AND got the 2nd overall pick. Then the following year won the cup.

In 1997 when they got Joe Thornton was probably the single worst season I watched from the Bruins, but they were in the postseason the very next year. Their ownership is very aggressive in correcting course. They’ve missed the playoffs 6 times since 1997-98. 2000 and 2001, 2006 and 2007, then again in 2015 and 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad