GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Because JFresh and his charts are a hack. Look at Columbus and LA. Both are projected worse than last year with improved rosters
Compared to last year's charts? If a team overachieved in could improve year to year on his charts but still go backwards compared to end of season results.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Compared to last year's charts? If a team overachieved in could improve year to year on his charts but still go backwards compared to end of season results.
compared to real life. Columbus finished last season with 82 points, LA finished with 99 points on the season. JFresh projects them at 79 for Columbus and 92 for LA.

I can see an arguement that LA overachieved, but their off-season has been replacing Brown with Fiala. Thats a pretty big upgrade. Columbus lost no one and has added Gaudreau. The chances they get worse from an already bad showing last year are slim to none

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I don’t understand how anyone could look at our defense and think anything other than “that’s shite”.
It really is not ok if we don’t make a drastic change like moving out OEL/Myers. Absolute terrible d core propped up by Hughes/Demko and you can’t tell me otherwise.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think I would be asking a lot of questions about New Jersey management yes you can’t effectively sell Johnny on coming to the team closest to his family when he realistically only has three other options - and I think all three of those options were clearly worse than New Jersey.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There was talk earlier today on 650 that the Devils management didn't even want Gaudreau and it was more of an ownership thing. Management would rather build out with their young players. Not sure if they got their way or it just worked out that way.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That seems about right to me. With Mikheyev and Kuzmenko this team should be better than last year. Last year they were a bubble playoff team, now plus or minus a point they are in the 10-14 range.

Perhaps but they still aren't SC contenders by any means and have future cap issues.

They also need to make some moves to be under the cap.

Reactions: pitseleh

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Perhaps but they still aren't SC contenders by any means and have future cap issues.

They also need to make some moves to be under the cap.
Agreed. There’s still a lot to do. But realistically we were never going to erase the Benning era in one off season. This is at least a two year project and that’s being really optimistic.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. There’s still a lot to do. But realistically we were never going to erase the Benning era in one off season. This is at least a two year project and that’s being really optimistic.
I am a bit surprised that the mid to lower teams didn’t take Pearson or someone like that. Some term given out seems crazy like chariot getting 4 years from Detroit. Figure it made sense to trade a mid to late pick and save 2 years of term.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I am a bit surprised that the mid to lower teams didn’t take Pearson or someone like that. Some term given out seems crazy like chariot getting 4 years from Detroit. Figure it made sense to trade a mid to late pick and save 2 years of term.
Something has to give with the forwards. Think we see Miller and at least one other traded with the additions of Mikyehev and Kuz. Could still see Pearson moved. His salary looks good compared to some of these deals given out.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Honestly between what Benning left the current management group and the mentality of ownership my expectations for the Canucks wining the SC in my lifetime is really low.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Honestly between what Benning left the current management group and the mentality of ownership my expectations for the Canucks wining the SC in my lifetime is really low.

Didn't someone say if current management group cannot bring home the cup they must ALL be fired, because JEB left us nothing but treasures?
:laugh:

Reactions: wetcoast

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You ever see Arrested Development?

“Her?”
1657770179955.gif

Reactions: MS and Vector

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yeah, I've never been there but that isn't high on my list either.

Philly and NJ are shitholes for the most part as well. I've been to both and Cleveland for work.
I've been to Columbus a couple of times and it's fine. They have a fun nightlife district popular with OSU students and the people were friendly. It's not a "cool" destination among NHL markets, which seems to have captivated this generation of players, and I have no doubt quality of life in Calgary is higher (as it is compared to Philadelphia, Newark, etc. too), but U.S. players – who make money to play ice hockey, no less – always seem to want to get the hell out of any non-Toronto Canadian city. I am happy it turned out this way because I like the Blue Jackets and dislike the Flames, but it's honestly a bit transparent and kind of dumb.

Ohio/Pennsylvania is all fairly intertwined so it's not too surprising this is where he ended up in terms of location. I think it only feels surprising because they weren't mentioned as a viable option this whole time... I didn't even hear them even being in the mix until this afternoon.
That is Western Pennsylvania (i.e. Pittsburgh), which may as well be a different country from the tri-state area where Gaudreau is from. Nothing in the east is as far as anything in the west, but I expect this is just a U.S./Canada thing. The "eastern family" players always seem to make magical exceptions for the California teams too.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
They don’t really have anything interesting anyway, considering we’re loaded with wingers and need centers and defense.
They have depth at center, Mercer and Mcleod are behind Hughes and Hischier, wouldn't mind one of the former ++.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad