GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Probably not a coincidence the Senators been crushing it since they fired Pierre.

Pierre Dorion has actually led a pretty strong scouting team for a number of years. Seems like a guy who could execute decently, but never had any direction. And now he might have it from two 20-something women who inherited the team.

That ownership situation is maybe one of the most intriguing stories in all of sports right now - and it is barely getting any coverage.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So senators are going to go with Talbot/Forsberg tandem at $6.25MM total cost instead of Murray at 6.25MM. Probably a much better bet at this point.

Term is a pretty big thing since Talbot will be UFA after the season. Will be interesting to see if the Senators try to be big players tomorrow. They have 4 pretty important RFAs (Joseph, Formenton, Norris, and Brannstrom) with two the following year (Stutzle and DeBrincat). Their defence is in a pretty sorry state for a team that is trying to compete, though. Wouldn't be shocked if they try and sign Klingberg or Manson.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Smart move for both teams really. Minny saves 2.5MM in cap that they need badly, and clears up their Talbot vs MAF issue, and get a decent 30 game backup in the process.

Senators now have two pretty good options to start and Talbot's money is off the books after this year—if things go awry they can try and move for a pick at the deadline.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pierre Dorion has actually led a pretty strong scouting team for a number of years. Seems like a guy who could execute decently, but never had any direction. And now he might have it from two 20-something women who inherited the team.

That ownership situation is maybe one of the most intriguing stories in all of sports right now - and it is barely getting any coverage.

20-something? One of them is 19!

And they're already more competent than Frankie Blueberries.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Term is a pretty big thing since Talbot will be UFA after the season. Will be interesting to see if the Senators try to be big players tomorrow. They have 4 pretty important RFAs (Joseph, Formenton, Norris, and Brannstrom) with two the following year (Stutzle and DeBrincat). Their defence is in a pretty sorry state for a team that is trying to compete, though. Wouldn't be shocked if they try and sign Klingberg or Manson.

Not sure what Klingberg goes for a team that has an undisputed PP1 in Thomas Chabot signed long term. They really just need some reliable minute munchers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure what Klingberg goes for a team that has an undisputed PP1 in Thomas Chabot signed long term. They really just need some reliable minute munchers.

I'm surprised we haven't heard heavier rumours about Provorov and Chychrun to Ottawa.

Neither guy has trade protection, both are signed long-term. Ottawa has lots of young assets and lots of cap space to make that deal.

Reactions: timw33

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Don't disagree at all but teams make weird decisions. all the time.

Maybe, after the smoke clears, they'll be happy to take on a 6'8'' giragee-hybrid.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm surprised we haven't heard heavier rumours about Provorov and Chychrun to Ottawa.

Neither guy has trade protection, both are signed long-term. Ottawa has lots of young assets and lots of cap space to make that deal.

The rumours around Chychrun were that the Coyotes were asking for an astronomical return and no team was willing to even engage in that discussion.

Really, I think as we talked about in another thread, teams are probably just more willing to sit on their cap space until the prime free agents are gone and only then trade assets to improve.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The thing about these Ottawa moves - and I'm not breaking any news here - is that you can improve your team on paper pretty quickly if you are willing to dump picks/prospects.

Gustavsson seemed to take a step back this year and probably fell behind their other G prospect, but I think most teams would look much better on paper if you traded a prospect/top ten pick/2nd/3rd/3rd. And yes when I actually type it all out like that, it looks suspiciously familiar to our off-season last year.. but anyways.

These players aren't really signed long-term so hopefully for them they have a plan that extends past a few months. I think these deals have all been decent/good in terms of value.. just not sure if they the right moves long-term.

Reactions: timw33

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If Rutherford is asking for literally anything more than “Future considerations” for The chaos giraffe than he is senile

Just get rid of him.

Reactions: 4Twenty

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I feel like Ottawa is probably debating whether they want to move Jake Sanderson to get a guy like Chychrun who is 4 years ahead on the development curve and fits in better with the current makeup of their team (and has 3 years of team control to boot).

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It looks like were going to rebuild our bottom 6 via Free Agency to join the likes of Lockwood.

Some targets for this role:

Nic Deslaurier
Calle Jarnkrok
Ryan Dzingel
Mattias Janmark
Zach Aston Reese
Nicolas Aube Kubel
Curits Lazar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events