GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Capitals have signed quite a few contracts with serious potential to turn ugly in the second half of their term. What harm is one more in Kuemper?

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I’d prefer Campbell. Younger and cheaper.
Question about him is can he handle the full starter's load? His overall numbers this year in 49 GP look pretty good, but he was a tale of two halves. Pre-ASB he had a .925 SV% in 32 GP (coincidentally, one more than his previous career high for a single season), post-ASB he had an .894 SV%, and the poor play continued into the playoffs where he had an .897 SV%. There's a ton of risk in giving a guy with his track record a big, long term deal.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
If they spend their cap space on long-term deals for two guys on the wrong side of 30, that'd be a real bummer. I think the team has the tools to make the most of Kuemper/Kadri for a year or two, with the hope that both will age very well. But let's be real...

Kuemper isn't so great that he's someone you wouldn't look to improve upon almost immediately. And if you're lucky enough to get a backup that pans out in a big way, moving an old keeper with a fat contract isn't easy when there's at least 5 of those available in free agency every year that come cheaper and require less term. And if the rumors are true about the term Kadri wants, that feels iffy, too. Hard enough to want to give any 32-year-old hockey player significant term, but especially not one that really, really likes running into stuff with his head.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Question about him is can he handle the full starter's load? His overall numbers this year in 49 GP look pretty good, but he was a tale of two halves.

I agree. If we were going to take a flier on someone who hasn't carried the load before, I'd have wanted it to be someone younger (like Husso) or cheaper (like Comrie). This is why I wouldn't mind dealing for a cheap vet like Talbot or a few others (the UFA options that come cheap aren't too attractive) and getting aggressive and maybe overpaying a bit (if necessary) for Comrie.

Since there is no surefire keeper that'd be a colossal upgrade, I'd rather steer away from the costly 32-year-old that wants term and may have just been carried by a great team. And I think the step down from Kuemper is significant enough to expect to pay considerably less. Campbell feels like a half measure to me. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money, I want someone more proven.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Question about him is can he handle the full starter's load? His overall numbers this year in 49 GP look pretty good, but he was a tale of two halves. Pre-ASB he had a .925 SV% in 32 GP (coincidentally, one more than his previous career high for a single season), post-ASB he had an .894 SV%, and the poor play continued into the playoffs where he had an .897 SV%. There's a ton of risk in giving a guy with his track record a big, long term deal.
Did he get dinged up at all during the season? Wonder if there’s some potential reason for the dropoff.

If they spend their cap space on long-term deals for two guys on the wrong side of 30, that'd be a real bummer. I think the team has the tools to make the most of Kuemper/Kadri for a year or two, with the hope that both will age very well. But let's be real...

Kuemper isn't so great that he's someone you wouldn't look to improve upon almost immediately. And if you're lucky enough to get a backup that pans out in a big way, moving an old keeper with a fat contract isn't easy when there's at least 5 of those available in free agency every year that come cheaper and require less term. And if the rumors are true about the term Kadri wants, that feels iffy, too. Hard enough to want to give any 32-year-old hockey player significant term, but especially not one that really, really likes running into stuff with his head.
All we need is 3-4 good years From them all to help keep Ovy on a playoff team until 40.

Reactions: Jags

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
For Filip Gustavsson, straight up. Have to think the Wild would have preferred Samsonov to Gustavsson, but why trade an asset when we can lose it for nothing!
Gustavsson is cheap so probably not. Opens up some room for them to be active tomorrow.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
All we need is 3-4 good years From them all to help keep Ovy on a playoff team until 40.

And then maybe a couple years of 10+ million in cap room we can't touch, or have to pay dearly to unload. All to get fractionally better than some of the other options that wouldn't come with those headaches.

Like I said, it wouldn't break my heart if we go that way, but I'd prefer it if they were a bit shrewder about it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And then maybe a couple years of 10+ million in cap room we can't touch, or have to pay dearly to unload. All to get fractionally better than some of the other options that wouldn't come with those headaches.

Like I said, it wouldn't break my heart if we go that way, but I'd prefer it if they were a bit shrewder about it.
It won’t hurt us during a rebuild.

we haven’t seen a contract yet that couldn’t be moved….

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Kind of wild that Calgary couldn't make this work. They're going to take a big step back after a great year.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Da_j15PV4AE-XwN

Reactions: twabby

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
You do not, in fact, have to think that the Wild would have preferred the goaltender they didn't trade for over the goaltender they did trade for.

Heh, in fact the Wild really wanted Sammy instead of FG, they just couldn't find GMBM's cell phone number. Ooops.

If only GMBM had actually thought to call them and offer Sammy. Such a dummy!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Kind of wild if the Flyers don't position themselves to have space to go after Gaudreau. Otherwise it seems like it's on a platter for NJD.

Reactions: Silky mitts

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Sounds like someone who is asking for too much and/or is just afraid to pull the trigger.

Isn’t this the same bozo who said *last week* that the real urgency was always around this Wednesday. Now it’s pushed ahead to February-ish. Posturing nonsense.

I’m just putting a pin in Miller stuff at this point, until something actually happens.

What’s Trocheck looking like? ;)

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Flyers giving $10 million to Ristolainen and DeAngelo have sure made it difficult to offer $10 million to Gaudreau. What a genius Chuck Fletcher is

I see Carolina and Detroit as Gaudreau suitors. Maybe NYI. Philly is the obvious one but I still don’t know they can give the best offer

Reactions: Silky mitts

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010

Kind of wild that Calgary couldn't make this work. They're going to take a big step back after a great year.

I don't think Calgary had the chance honestly. His leaving has been speculated for years around these parts. Everyone always had a gut feeling he wanted to be closer to home. His parents are at the Saddledome a ton to watch him and that's a hell of a ways to travel.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Sounds like someone who is asking for too much and/or is just afraid to pull the trigger.

Isn’t this the same bozo who said *last week* that the real urgency was always around this Wednesday. Now it’s pushed ahead to February-ish. Posturing nonsense.

I’m just putting a pin in Miller stuff at this point, until something actually happens.

What’s Trocheck looking like? ;)
Like he should have been the top choice all along. Miller is a pipe dream for a team in desperate need of stockpiling prospects and draft picks for an impending rebuild. Trade Eller and get into backstroms cap to do it. Hold him out until the playoffs...if he's even ready by then, then figure the rest out next off-season when we've got more contracts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad