Salary Cap: Free Agency XI | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am confident/hopeful that Dupuis won't start the season.

I don't really get this unless you are worried about him being with Sid. Dupuis is overpaid and on the downside of his career, but if healthy he is a very good 3rd liner. If cap space wasn't an issue, I'd keep him around.

penguins2946*

I am confident/hopeful that Dupuis won't start the season.

If Dupuis doesn't start the season, it lets another winger establish themself in the top-6 and it gives us salary relief. That's good.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I don't really get this unless you are worried about him being with Sid. Dupuis is overpaid and on the downside of his career, but if healthy he is a very good 3rd liner. If cap space wasn't an issue, I'd keep him around.

Except cap space is an issue.

sooo

I also think/hope that he won't be healthy or at all close to where he was pre injury

sooo

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Except cap space is an issue.

sooo

I also think/hope that he won't be healthy or at all close to where he was pre injury

sooo

For this year alone. They are going to have at least $35 million, or close to that, in cap space to work with next year as a lot of contracts expire and one would assume the cap goes up.

Saltyseabass

Jun 2, 2014
What would you guys think about duper, scuds, Adams, and 2015 1st for Chris Stewart? Buffalo seems to be collecting 1st round picks for "cap dumps" but is that too much salary heading to Buffalo for them to accept? That's a big if that Duper and Scuds waive to go there

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
What would you guys think about duper, scuds, Adams, and 2015 1st for Chris Stewart? Buffalo seems to be collecting 1st round picks for "cap dumps" but is that too much salary heading to Buffalo for them to accept? That's a big if that Duper and Scuds waive to go there

You want to give up a 2015 first for Stewart?!?

I don't like Adams either, but there's only one year left in that contract, and the amount is (relatively) small. (I know, I know, we're up against the cap, etc.) I think JR will just ride that out.

As for Dupuis and Scuderi, who knows how they will do under the new coaches? I would be looking for ways to dump those contracts, and I think creative solutions can be found, but I don't think we should panic either.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So if we exceed the salary cap, we can do so by the amount of Maatta's caphit being on LTIR, correct?

Forgot about that to be honest. In that case, we have plenty of leeway as long as JR is willing to move a player when Maatta returns.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think he's a solid player to have in your bottom six. He's young, trending upwards, can play all three forward positions and is a RFA for two more years.

We don't even know what his contract is going to be yet. No legitimate source has said anything concrete about his contract demands. So we'll see in the next couple days.

Rumor is his camp asked for $2.85 million per year. I don't think the arbitrator's going to give him that, but that's getting pretty pricey for a 3rd/4th line tweener with exactly one decent season under his belt.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Yeah, 2.25 sounds good and most likely what he'll get. No chance in hell he is getting 2.85.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rumor is his camp asked for $2.85 million per year. I don't think the arbitrator's going to give him that, but that's getting pretty pricey for a 3rd/4th line tweener with exactly one decent season under his belt.

He won't get that. So it doesn't matter.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

He won't get that and he's a 3rd liner. Not a 3rd/4th tweener.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He won't get that and he's a 3rd liner. Not a 3rd/4th tweener.

His offensive numbers look more like a tweener's to me. IMO, what separates a 3rd liner from a 4th liner is a 3rd liner also brings decent amount of offense to the table on a consistent, year to year basis. You can pencil them in each season in the 10-15 goal, 30+ point range, sort of thing.

IMO, Spaling still has to do that on more than one occasion to put himself in the Brandon Sutter/Matt Cooke category (guys who regularly score near 15 goals and 30 points), rather than put himself with guys like Gregory Campbell (someone who might surpass 10 goals in a season, but not every season).

Being Gene Malkovich

Feb 10, 2004
I imagine Spaling and his agent are looking for a figure around 2.25 so putting a bid in a request at that level would be terrible negotiating.

No, they are looking for a figure at $2.85 million. They didn't know what the Pens offered so they are thinking bigger and we are thinking lower. It's how these things work. I think they will settle on $2.4 because WE traded for him knowing that he could elect to go to arbitration.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
His offensive numbers look more like a tweener's to me. IMO, what separates a 3rd liner from a 4th liner is a 3rd liner also brings decent amount of offense to the table on a consistent, year to year basis. You can pencil them in each season in the 10-15 goal, 30+ point range, sort of thing.

IMO, Spaling still has to do that on more than one occasion to put himself in the Brandon Sutter/Matt Cooke category (guys who regularly score near 15 goals and 30 points), rather than put himself with guys like Gregory Campbell (someone who might surpass 10 goals in a season, but not every season).

Which is why most are advocating around 2 mil. High end 4th liners like Campbell make 1.6. Legit third liners like Cooke make 2.5. Ideally right at 2 or a little under since he's a RFA.

I think most want a one year deal to see what kind of player he is here. And from what I've read, management wants the same.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No, they are looking for a figure at $2.85 million. They didn't know what the Pens offered so they are thinking bigger and we are thinking lower. It's how these things work. I think they will settle on $2.4 because WE traded for him knowing that he could elect to go to arbitration.

Of course they are looking for 2.85. If they thought it was remotely reasonable, I'm sure they'd look for 3.5. Basically you pick what you are satisfied settling at and then add half a million or more.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Spaling and his agent will have decided what they'd be happy with and have put in a figure which they think will most likely help them get that figure on the arbiter. Dwight King just signed for 3 years at 1.95 million, wonder if that is too late for the Pens to use.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Which is why most are advocating around 2 mil. High end 4th liners like Campbell make 1.6. Legit third liners like Cooke make 2.5. Ideally right at 2 or a little under since he's a RFA.

That's kind of what I've been arguing all along. I was disputing him being worth $2.5 million, and some were arguing they were fine with that total.

If Spaling gets in the $1.6 to $1.8 million range, I don't have a big issue with it. But that wasn't the discussion. It was based on my original statement of "I can't believe people are fine with the Pens paying Spaling $2.5 million per year".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad