Salary Cap: Free Agency XI | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Today's fun fact: Last season Downie had a higher points per game average than Setoguchi. WE'VE FINALLY FOUND CROSBY'S WINGER!!!!!

Or not. Because Setoguchi is trash.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Penner is still a better option than Seto. But if signing either one guarantees Adams being pushed out of the line up completely then that's a big upside.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I really can't tell if you were being serious with this post. Outside of saying we should trade Scuderi, there's not one thing I agree with.

Jarome Iginla and a bottom-six of entirely WBS players (outside of Sutter)? If that was the best alternative to this offseason, Rutherford deserves a round of applause.

I'm almost positive it was a joke. Jaded has been mostly positive with JR's offseason.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Penner is still a better option than Seto. But if signing either one guarantees Adams being pushed out of the line up completely then that's a big upside.

We cant't even afford to bring anyone else in without trading somebody out. We also have enough players to push Adams out without Penner. Let's let one of the WBS kids win the 12th forward spot.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
We cant't even afford to bring anyone else in without trading somebody out. We also have enough players to push Adams out without Penner. Let's let one of the WBS kids win the 12th forward spot.

I'm always operating under the assumption that Good Ol' JR dumps Scuds, its the only way I can fall asleep at night.

I'm also less confident each passing day that we are signing both Spaling and Sutter. So as a of result each passing day, Craig Adams gets closer to the lineup. You'll see. We'll all see.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm always operating under the assumption that Good Ol' JR dumps Scuds, its the only way I can fall asleep at night.

I'm also less confident each passing day that we are signing both Spaling and Sutter. So as a of result each passing day, Craig Adams gets closer to the lineup. You'll see. We'll all see.

I think we sign both Spaling and Sutter. Whether we are pleased with their contracts is another matter.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think we sign both Spaling and Sutter. Whether we are pleased with their contracts is another matter.

There's only about 5 mil to spend between Sutter and Spaling as things currently stand, and still retain about 500k in wiggle room to call guys up. We simply can't sign them for any more than that and still make the cap unless we trade someone before the season, or unless they know for sure Dupuis will start the year on LTIR. Even then, they still have to be ready for him to be cleared.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There's only about 5 mil to spend between Sutter and Spaling as things currently stand, and still retain about 500k in wiggle room to call guys up. We simply can't sign them for any more than that and still make the cap unless we trade someone before the season, or unless they know for sure Dupuis will start the year on LTIR. Even then, they still have to be ready for him to be cleared.

With Maatta on LTIR, we are technically fine. Tight, but fine:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Nick Spaling ($2.500m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Blake Comeau ($0.700m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
LTIR
Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,775,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $225,000

If Dumo, Harry, or Megs make the team, then we would need to make a move. But as we've seen before, cap space and waiver eligibility effects who makes the team in these cases.

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Neither are good options, but Penner is definitely the lesser of the two. There is a reason he keeps bouncing from team to team despite the fact he's a power forward with good skills (which are constantly in demand). Including Cup winning teams. Penner is ****ing worthless. Classic underachiever / poor work ethic, whereas Seto merely became overrated with that one great season he had (sort of like Kulemin only less versatile), but either way we're scraping the bottom of the barrell here. Penner is one of those guys who if he weren't such a dumbass / lazy ass, would be one of the top power forwards in the league every year. But he just doesn't give a crap. He couldn't even catch work ethic fever playing for a Cup Winner. And no "playing with Sid" won't teach him anything / change him at all.

He's the last "he could be good" guy I want to see on this team, now that Heatley signed somewhere else.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

FORWARDS
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
LTIR
Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $225,00

If Dumo, Harry, or Megs make the team, then we would need to make a move. But as we've seen before, cap space and waiver eligibility effects who makes the team in these cases.

Megna is better than Sill, so it will suck if we need to play Sill just to make our cap. And if we have Ulf Jr. with the NHL club to start the year, we'll lose him on waivers when Maatta comes back, or be forced into a hasty trade. And no GM will go into the season with $25,000 in cap room. What if Ulf Jr. had to play and got hurt? We don't have another D man that makes $550k.

In any case, we won't go into the season with both Spaling and Sutter at big numbers unless something else changes.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Spalings camp asking for 2.85 and pens offer 1.65 to the arbitration. If the arbitrator goes even close to 2.85 we are pretty screwed

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Will be curious to see how many supporters of the Neal trade there still are if he gets overpaid. :laugh:

"Penguin fans, you just got 'spaled'."

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm almost positive it was a joke. Jaded has been mostly positive with JR's offseason.

Obviously my obvious sarcasm needs work. Or maybe this board has been so goofy of late, the target of my sarcasm, that the ideas such as trading Scuderi even though he refuses to go anywhere and no one wants him, and somehow then turning that $4 million of found cap space plus Sutter (as God forbid we trade anyone else), who people say sucks too, into a long term cost controlled thirty goal plus scoring wing, seem to be rational.

People need to get that there was no better way to spend the mere seven million dollars that they had better. But we keep hearing complaints with no reasonable alternatives specifically set forth. I showed the actual alternative.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Megna is better than Sill, so it will suck if we need to play Sill just to make our cap. And if we have Ulf Jr. with the NHL club to start the year, we'll lose him on waivers when Maatta comes back, or be forced into a hasty trade. And no GM will go into the season with $25,000 in cap room. What if Ulf Jr. had to play and got hurt? We don't have another D man that makes $550k.

In any case, we won't go into the season with both Spaling and Sutter at big numbers unless something else changes.

It's 225,000. I guess I dropped off the last zero when I copied it.

The player that keeps them under the cap will be on the roster. Megs can play top 6 minutes in the AHL until roster moves are made. If someone is hurt and that can't make the cap work, they will move someone. All I'm saying is it's possible.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Spalings camp asking for 2.85 and pens offer 1.65 to the arbitration. If the arbitrator goes even close to 2.85 we are pretty screwed

The arbitrator won't go close to 2.85 on one 32 point season. That's a pretty unrealistic request. The Pen's have set themselves up for a split down the middle at 2.25 which is what I said he was worth yesterday.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Obviously my obvious sarcasm needs work. Or maybe this board has been so goofy of late, the target of my sarcasm, that the ideas such as trading Scuderi even though he refuses to go anywhere and no one wants him, and somehow then turning that $4 million of found cap space plus Sutter (as God forbid we trade anyone else), who people say sucks too, into a long term cost controlled thirty goal plus scoring wing, seem to be rational.

People need to get that there was no better way to spend the mere seven million dollars that they had better. But we keep hearing complaints with no reasonable alternatives specifically set forth. I showed the actual alternative.

It was obvious to me. Then I saw all those posts and thought, huh, maybe in some far out land, outside of this galaxy, he was serious.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

FORWARDS
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
LTIR
Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $225,000

As I understand it, the Pens will want to be as close to $69.894M as possible if Maatta is on LTIR so they maximize their LTIR cushion. So you don't want to leave as little space under the $69M cap (minus Maatta) as possible.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As I understand it, the Pens will want to be as close to $69.894M as possible if Maatta is on LTIR so they maximize their LTIR cushion. So you don't want to leave as little space under the $69M cap (minus Maatta) as possible.

That's true so long as they are prepared to make a cap clearing move when Maatta comes back. We can't ride LTIR all year if we want to have any space for injury replacements.

Who knows, maybe Bennett and/or Duper aren't ready to start the year and start on LTIR as well.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's true so long as they are prepared to make a cap clearing move when Maatta comes back. We can't ride LTIR all year if we want to have any space for injury replacements.

Who knows, maybe Bennett and/or Duper aren't ready to start the year and start on LTIR as well.

With this team?

Chances are great that when one player comes back another two will be injured.

The most man games lost in the NHL over the last four or five years.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Will be curious to see how many supporters of the Neal trade there still are if he gets overpaid. :laugh:

"Penguin fans, you just got 'spaled'."

Nope. Player always comes in high and team always low at or near QO. 2.25 mil is the split. I'm fine with that.

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA

Based on your past comments, I thought it was obvious as well, but I guess it always helps to add the :sarcasm: smiley ...

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com

OK.

Then yes, I agree 100%. This offseason was successful, and that scenario was illogical and scary as ****.

I think the Sutter thing was what threw me off. Because Sutter as a possible piece should not be totally closed for debate. I'm not saying it should happen, I just realize that he is an attractive trade piece which we could afford to lose if the right deal came along.

penguins2946*

I had Spaling pegged in at $2.25 million, so I would be fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad