Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We need a LD for the top 4 and a legitimate top 6 player...we have too many bottom 6 guys, who end up playing in our top 6 and this is the reason we don't score enough.

In that case, there are assets to deal. Get on it, MB.

Reactions: jaffy27

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
In that case, there are assets to deal. Get on it, MB.

Sign Karlsson. Or maybe he likes Swedes watching him at 5 AM instead of 2AM? Or maybe he likes Canada more than the US. Or maybe Montréal is close to Ottawa; and Sweden by plane. I think he'd have more chemistry with Weber than Burns, and a bigger role on the Habs. Him and Panarin (selling Alzner for a 2nd rounder for cap relief) would be my dream line up next year, Skinner second choice after Panarin, Karlsson the priority.

btw when I say Panarin looks like Loud, check this out, in his new video, at the end of the video he raps center ice at the Molson Barn! Loud - Fallait y aller

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd go LD as a top priority before I'd look anywhere else but Gardener and Edler are the two main ones this year and I wish we could do better than that...I mean, Gardener can still improve I guess, he's young enough. Does he actually want to play for another high pressure team though ? He feels like a guy who could use a much more relaxed environment where him fumbling the puck won't be headline stuff.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Fearless prediction. We sign Gardiner and Nyquist.

Drouin Domi Gally
Tatar KK Nyquist
Byron Danault Shaw
Lehkonen Thompson/Weal Armia

Gardiner Weber
Kulak Petry
Mete Juulsen
Folin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd go LD as a top priority before I'd look anywhere else but Gardener and Edler are the two main ones this year and I wish we could do better than that...I mean, Gardener can still improve I guess, he's young enough. Does he actually want to play for another high pressure team though ? He feels like a guy who could use a much more relaxed environment where him fumbling the puck won't be headline stuff.

Gardiner is going to be 29 in July. At that age, a player is long set in his ways. The brain cramps and costly mistakes will continue. Hopefully on some other team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Considering that Karlsson and Panarin won’t come

I can't blame you to think that.

Habs will have to do it with drafting, developing and getting lucky on the trade front. And that's not a bad thing -- that's where the priorities should be anyway. Since the UFA market is not going to help MB save him from mistakes, just make sure he has the right personnel and in sufficient numbers to get it right on the non-UFA fronts.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Gardiner is going to be 29 in July. At that age, a player is long set in his ways. The brain cramps and costly mistakes will continue. Hopefully on some other team.
I don't have the data to prove it, but isn't it a general rule that defenseman have a longer prime? I think Gardiner could be effective till he's 33 or 34 based on his game and his lack of injuries. I think he's raw a bit like when Petry first got here. In a more sheltered role, I think he can be an asset for us here. I would give him a shorter term contract a la Shattenkirk.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm weary about Karlsson as he approaches 30, and his injury history to date. His play in SJ looks like he's having major physical issues again too.

Also, I've only heard reports of him not wanting to play in Canada. There has not been one single report or even rumor that he's open to playing in Canada.

So I don't understand where this connection between the habs and EK is coming from. It sounds like a non starter.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't have the data to prove it, but isn't it a general rule that defenseman have a longer prime? I think Gardiner could be effective till he's 33 or 34 based on his game and his lack of injuries. I think he's raw a bit like when Petry first got here. In a more sheltered role, I think he can be an asset for us here. I would give him a shorter term contract a la Shattenkirk.

It's not about having a longer prime, it's about the pros and cons you bring during that prime. I'm merely suggesting that Gardiner is a seriously flawed player and would not be a reliable first pairing option.

Since the UFA market is not replete with LHD talent this year, what about signing RHD Tyler Myers and have him take Petry's place. And use Petry as a trading chip?

Reactions: bsl

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's not about having a longer prime, it's about the pros and cons you bring during that prime. I'm merely suggesting that Gardiner is a heavily flawed option and would not be a reliable first pairing option.

Since the UFA market is not replete with LHD talent this year, what about signing RHD Tyler Myers and have him take Petry's place. And use Petry as a trading chip?
Although Petry is a not a perfect player and has his flaws, I think we are a better team with him on the roster. Gardiner can get the job done as the #3 on the team IMO. His last two series have been awful but he was solid in 2013.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Although Petry is a not a perfect player and has his flaws, I think we are a better team with him on the roster. Gardiner can get the job done as the #3 on the team IMO.

Petry's limitations are digestible as a second pairing guy and my understanding is they're not as extensive as Gardiner's but I'll let someone else who has greater knowledge than I do, make that determination.

What do you think of having Tyler Myers replacing Petry and using Petry as trade bait?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's not about having a longer prime, it's about the pros and cons you bring during that prime. I'm merely suggesting that Gardiner is a seriously flawed player and would not be a reliable first pairing option.

This makes a lot of sense. If Petry, Weber, and a new guy like Myers (or Subban?) all can't handle playing their off side, one of them has to be swapped for a LD. Petry is the most obvious candidate.

What team is stacked at LD and needs either a forward or a RD? Carolina?

Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'm weary about Karlsson as he approaches 30, and his injury history to date. His play in SJ looks like he's having major physical issues again too.

Also, I've only heard reports of him not wanting to play in Canada. There has not been one single report or even rumor that he's open to playing in Canada.

So I don't understand where this connection between the habs and EK is coming from. It sounds like a non starter.

I'd like to see one quote where EK even hints at not wanting to play in Canada? I think there was a suggestion of this largely based on EK having difficulty with the whole leaving Ottawa thing and at the time he couldn't see himself playing for a rival, kind of like Gorges when he said no to Toronto, but I think time heals all wounds and if EK's wife want to be back closer to Ottawa, he will be back closer to Ottawa, whether his initial reaction indicated otherwise.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Petry's limitations are digestible as a second pairing guy and my understanding is they're not as extensive as Gardiner's but I'll let someone else who has greater knowledge than I do, make that determination.

What do you think of having Tyler Myers replacing Petry and using Petry as trade bait?

That's a thoughtful idea. I like Petry more than myers, but that is not to say I wouldn't like myers on the habs.

Does Petry not have a limited NTC?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What team is stacked at LD and needs either a forward or a RD? Carolina?

Depending on what happens this summer, it could be any team who has not received a hostile offer from the Habs. :sarcasm:

Best deals are when both teams are dealing from excess. That's exactly what they should do.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's a thoughtful idea. I like Petry more than myers, but that is not to say I wouldn't like myers on the habs.

Does Petry not have a limited NTC?

As of July 1st: Petry lists 15 teams he can not be traded to.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

I don't like Myers all that much. He's a #4 guy at this point like Filip Kuba was. He doesn't really move the needle and he was average in BUF. I think he's sheltered just as much as Gardiner in WPG. They have Trouba and Buf there. Unless the return for Petry is fantastic, I think it'd be a step back to do the swap with Myers.

I do give kudos for the idea, if the team evaluates that it'd be a step in the right direction, it'd be a savvy move and the type we should be making.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I prefer Petry, but if we could acquire free assets in a Petry deal and replace him with someone somewhat close in impact, I would do it. Pretty good idea imo.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
If there is no proper cure to the LD woes available via trade, better to take a flyer on some younger guys than signing Edler or Gardiner which will take cash, term or like Alzner, both. Can't be handcuffed with another bad or long-term contract. Just hope MB doesn't rush out and screw the future by trying to fill the hole with the wrong player, at the wrong price, yet again.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'd like to see one quote where EK even hints at not wanting to play in Canada? I think there was a suggestion of this largely based on EK having difficulty with the whole leaving Ottawa thing and at the time he couldn't see himself playing for a rival, kind of like Gorges when he said no to Toronto, but I think time heals all wounds and if EK's wife want to be back closer to Ottawa, he will be back closer to Ottawa, whether his initial reaction indicated otherwise.

Karlsson never said such a quote, nor can I think of any player off the top of my head that has publicly said this. That would be kind of stupid, I think. But we all know this philosophy exists amongst a certain number of players in the league.

This is a case of where there's smoke, there's fire, and there was plenty of smoke in regards to Karlsson and Canada. The number one talking point among Canadian markets looking at Karlsson last year were the reports of Karlsson's desire to play elsewhere.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Karlsson never said such a quote, nor can I think of any player off the top of my head that has publicly said this. That would be kind of stupid, I think. But we all know this philosophy exists amongst a certain number of players in the league.

This is a case of where there's smoke, there's fire, and there was plenty of smoke in regards to Karlsson and Canada. The number one talking point among Canadian markets looking at Karlsson last year were the reports of Karlsson's desire to play elsewhere.

Fair enough, I just don't buy it. I think Karlsson is the type to thrive in a hockey market. It costs nothing to inquire, we shouldn't approach this with a defeatist attitude, we need to kick the tires at least. Until EK says he won't meet with us, we need to be in on the action. I actually think he has a desire to play for the CH. Just a gut feeling, but he strikes as the type who prefers being in a hockey hotbed.

He seems like a hockey purist who has that youthful enthusiasm and respect for the history of the game. I don't think he locks us out of the discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad