Post-Game Talk: Free Agency Part 2

OB5

May 2, 2015
Habs biggest need right now would be a bottom pair reliable RD. In the UFA pool that is pretty much non existent. PK? Not happening. Stralman? Maybe, but he might be too far down the line here and ight do more damage than good with what the team is looking to accomplish. Matt Tennyson? Paul Ladue? Similar to Bowey.

The expectations should be low here. The pool is weak.

Up front? The Habs are too deep and loaded with 1 way contracts for regulars. Until some of these guys get unloaded, if they do, don't expect anything. Could the Habs benefit from a ZAR, T Pitlick, Milano etc? Sure, but the Habs no cap space and no roster spots.

It's an annoying reality.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'd actually be more interested in Sonny Milano. His puck skills are so good, I always felt his career could be salvaged with proper coaching, Plus, I used to be real sweet on Alyssa Milano so I'd get a reminder every time the announcer say his name :naughty:
Then there's...
1659622241728.png

:skeptic:

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
He did said he wasn’t implicate though and many other players like Mete and Clague did sign. Not sure, it’s because of that.

Nothing in that statement says that Steel wasn't in the room which leads me to assume he was there. Everyone who was in that room is going to deny engaging in any misconduct.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nothing in that statement says that Steel wasn't in the room which leads me to assume he was there. Everyone who was in that room is going to deny engaging in any misconduct.
The whole scandal, is sad, very sad.
There were 8 guys in the room, and they all know who they are. The whole debacle is very disturbing.
So much for young hockey players, and all good kids!!
If they did this, which they did, and hockey canada tried to cover up with hush money, boy there is a serious serious problem here.

The kids should come clean, and face their accountability.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
There were 8 guys in the room, and they all know who they are. The whole debacle is very disturbing.
If they did this, which they did, and hockey canada tried to cover up with hush money, boy there is a serious serious problem here.

Agreed
Our D man did wrong, cane clean
Same for them, expose them

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Forget about the age for a sec. He's not a prospect nor young rookie anymore. If you want to argue he's still in that stage of development then well better to agree to disagree. For a team rebuilding he's neither a vets with experience nor a young player. He's a reclamation project and unless you're MB you're probably not very interested. He's more than likely not signed simply because he's not a very interesting player. If KH sign Steel long term i'll lose respect for him and start to question his ability to focus on the important things to do.

I understand what you are saying and we are not far off from what each of us thinks. We both say no to Steel but the part I don't like is saying no cause he is 24. I'm saying no cause I don't like his development up to age 24.

Reactions: LaP

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Very disturbing yes! But I think they are getting agent and lawyer advice to not say anything at this point in time. Then you got others who were not involved but part of the team and knew about it. Plus team Canada management trying to cover it up.

They will get what they deserve over time.

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Very disturbing yes! But I think they are getting agent and lawyer advice to not say anything at this point in time. Then you got others who were not involved but part of the team and knew about it. Plus team Canada management trying to cover it up.

They will get what they deserve over time.

The players do what they have to do to protect themselves. I think it's counterproductive for taxpayers to target the players. Let the justice handle that if necessary. We don't know who was involved. We don't know what happened. It's all speculation.

My main problem is with Hockey Canada. For one 8 players should not find themselves in a hotel room with a girl all night while they are under the supervision of hockey Canada. Some of those kids might have been minor and they are under the responsibility of Hockey Canada. Whatever the girl gave her consent or not it should not have happened to begin with. Many NHL teams monitor their players more closely than that on the road.

For two they should not try sweep events like that under the carpet like they did. When it happens do a serious public investigation and go find the truth. Do not hide anything outside of the name of the people involved. Now it's likely too late for that. Better strike while the iron is hot. From the outside going by what Hockey Canada said it doesn't look like they took this seriously at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The players do what they have to do to protect themselves. I think it's counterproductive for taxpayers to target the players. Let the justice handle that if necessary. We don't know who was involved. We don't know what happened. It's all speculation.

My main problem is with Hockey Canada. For one 8 players should not find themselves in a hotel room with a girl all night while they are under the supervision of hockey Canada. Some of those kids might have been minor and they are under the responsibility of Hockey Canada. Whatever the girl gave her consent or not it should not have happened to begin with. Many NHL teams monitor their players more closely than that on the road.

For two they should not try sweep events like that under the carpet like they did. When it happens do a serious public investigation and go find the truth. Do not hide anything outside of the name of the people involved. Now it's likely too late for that. Better strike while the iron is hot. From the outside going by what Hockey Canada said it doesn't look like they took this seriously at all.

Well said. Players will face the justice system and they should. Hockey Canada has proven to be incompetent at managing correctly. Managers need to understand you have a liability and ethics code where it's not always getting bonuses when things are going well and you don't face the negatives when they are not. I think it's a problem in business. I have seen first hand manipulation by many managers in the construction industry. The are at the front of the line when there is hand outs but hiding in the shadows when things are not going so well and it's always someone else's fault. Disgusting on how they manage it to a one way street and use their leverage to force it that way

Reactions: LaP

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Well said. Players will face the justice system and they should. Hockey Canada has proven to be incompetent at managing correctly. Managers need to understand you have a liability and ethics code where it's not always getting bonuses when things are going well and you don't face the negatives when they are not. I think it's a problem in business. I have seen first hand manipulation by many managers in the construction industry. The are at the front of the line when there is hand outs but hiding in the shadows when things are not going so well and it's always someone else's fault. Disgusting on how they manage it to a one way street and use their leverage to force it that way
I thought the incident was reported to the police.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought the incident was reported to the police.

I don't know all the facts but I'm aware of the overall story. It appears Hockey Canada tried to hide it or brush it under the rug. Even if it was reported to the police, Hockey Canada has a bigger responsibility to manage better and suspend players. They had their chance and now it's with the courts and higher managers who approve funding.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't know all the facts but I'm aware of the overall story. It appears Hockey Canada tried to hide it or brush it under the rug. Even if it was reported to the police, Hockey Canada has a bigger responsibility to manage better and suspend players. They had their chance and now it's with the courts and higher managers who approve funding.
How can they suspend players if the police weren't able to build a case? Where Hockey Canada should be up the creek is spending money to pay of someone who has not supplied proof of what happened. And if she did supply proof to Hockey Canada then they should be in big trouble for not turning it over to the police.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How can they suspend players if the police weren't able to build a case? Where Hockey Canada should be up the creek is spending money to pay of someone who has not supplied proof of what happened. And if she did supply proof to Hockey Canada then they should be in big trouble for not turning it over to the police.

You answered your first question with your last sentence. Key word "if"

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Yeah, that's just crazy. Where's the oversight?

I played Junior Tier 2 soccer and went to a ton of tournaments. You could get kicked off the team & sent home from any tournaments if you broke curfew, or had anyone in your room other than your roommate after 11pm.

We had to be in our rooms by 10 pm, lights out at 11 pm. And, we had in room/lights out checks. We were often up at 6am as games started as early as 8am. Only night we could party was the final night, and it was monitored by coaches & parent volunteers. Really strict, but we also still had a ton of fun. Best trips ever.

This shit should have been heavily monitored.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yeah, that's just crazy. Where's the oversight?

I played Junior Tier 2 soccer and went to a ton of tournaments. You could get kicked off the team & sent home from any tournaments if you broke curfew, or had anyone in your room other than your roommate after 11pm.

We had to be in our rooms by 10 pm, lights out at 11 pm. And, we had in room/lights out checks. We were often up at 6am as games started as early as 8am. Only night we could party was the final night, and it was monitored by coaches & parent volunteers. Really strict, but we also still had a ton of fun. Best trips ever.

This shit should have been heavily monitored.
This wasn't a tournament though and there was no game to prepare for or reason to have a curfew. It was an offseason money maker event for Hockey Canada that included a celebration of the gold medal won 5 months earlier.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Hockey Canada can suspend players for various reasons. Like throwing a party in a hotel room f****** a woman all night pass midnight. It doesn't need to not be consensual for Hockey Canada to do something about it. If they would be intelligent and would want to avoid all kind of useless troubles they would monitor better what happen under their supervision. My parents were very liberal and were monitoring us more than that when we were 16-17.

This wasn't a tournament though and there was no game to prepare for or reason to have a curfew. It was an offseason money maker event for Hockey Canada that included a celebration of the gold medal won 5 months earlier.

Potentially minor kids were still under the supervision of hockey Canada unless the parents of all kids were present at the gala. If this was proven to be the case that all kids were with their parents at the gala i might change my stance about it.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I was talking about the other incident where they were at the WJC. It's ridiculous that 7-8 guys were in a single room with a young women.

Jordin Tootoo:

Screenshot_20220804-135121_Chrome.jpg

Never should happen. This is not what the tournament should be about.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad