Post-Game Talk: Free Agency Part 2

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Easily? I don’t think so
10.5 to a 30 year old
Tkachuk is 5 years younger
Calgary faired well, but easily, bold comment
Flames also got a 1st and Weegar.

It's an interesting trade I think both teams win. Calgary gets win now pieces to replace Jonny and Tkachuk, while Florida suffers a little bit in short term but expands their window for competing

Reactions: larrymoeschemp

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So much for wanting to sign here. What an idiot. He could have signed here, play with Dubois and become a hero.

He was interested in signing with Montreal, but that doesn't mean he was only willing to sign with Montreal. People are making the same mistake with Dubois. Just because Dubois has expressed interest in playing for the habs, that doesn't mean he won't be willing to sign with any other team.
If the rangers trade for him and then offer him a huge contract, I could very well see him accepting the offer.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I'm pretty shocked Huby didn't wait for FA to take a chance and sign with the Habs. Money talks...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Brière, Sundin, Lecavalier, Huberdeau... All big names that were guaranteed soon-to-be Habs in the last 15 years or so. Too bad all these rumors and statements about how playing in Montreal would be awesome never actually lead to anything.

I've stopped believing that garbage a long time ago, now I'm not disappointed when things like Huberdeau signing long-term in Calgary happen.

Reactions: Runner77

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Brière, Sundin, Lecavalier, Huberdeau... All big names that were guaranteed soon-to-be Habs in the last 15 years or so. Too bad all these rumors and statements about how playing in Montreal would be awesome never actually lead to anything.

I've stopped believing that garbage a long time ago, now I'm not disappointed when things like Huberdeau signing long-term in Calgary happen.
No one guaranteed anything. Relax.

We have a lot of media figures so there is an inevitable chance there will be speculation about a francophone pending UFA. It isn’t a big conspiracy or anything. Most of the time it is media driven.

Huberdeau got the bag. Good for him. The Habs could never rly match that take-home.

Also his age profile… I would’ve signed him because I want to acquire good players at all times but he *is* not in line with our prospective window…

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Message endorsed by current Habs management exec. Martin Lapointe, who as a player, used the Habs in order to get a better contract elsewhere.

Habs Special Advisor Cousin Vinny also says hi. As a UFA, he chose to sign with Philly on account of a coaching preference, prompted by another current Habs employee, Kent Hughes:

Philadelphia wasn’t one of the teams Lecavalier was interested in at first, but Hughes convinced him to meet with the Flyers because their head coach, Peter Laviolette, really wanted to meet him. The Flyers, Dallas Stars and Canadiens ended up being the last three teams on Lecavalier’s list and he picked Philadelphia because of Laviolette.

Of course, Hughes was just doing his job but it’s a tad ironic when looking back.

No worries, no need to sign with the Habs as a player when you can be admitted with open arms as a suit.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Huberdeau should’ve been hospitalized if he didn’t take that deal. He’ll be making $10.5M when he’s 40! That’s an insane contract and I doubt he’s get that or better anywhere else, and especially not from Hughes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Huberdeau should’ve been hospitalized if he didn’t take that deal. He’ll be making $10.5M when he’s 40! That’s an insane contract and I doubt he’s get that or better anywhere else, and especially not from Hughes.
Calgary is not exactly the first place players think of when they want to commit to a long term deal. The overpay has to be part of that equation.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

Not once have I seen anything to suggest Huberdeau was coming to Montreal at any point. I wonder if fans of any other team are as obsessed and make this assumption from players born in their province or state?

It is a self induced conspiracy. Montreal media makes such stupid questions and sets up these scenarios. Can you ever imagine a player if asked if they would want to play in their home province respond by saying ‘hell no’?

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
50 bucks he does the way of Hurbedeau and never ends up in Montreal
Francophones are the biggest bullshitters in the league
They say what their Francophone base wants to hear and then never follow up
I want passengers in Montreal, not hostages

You forgot Briere as a UFA and Vinny who didn’t wanna waive his no trade for Montreal
Lol Francophone players are so cowardly when it comes time to ever wanna play in Montreal
Not sure why you have Malkin there .that’s kinda strange
It’s not cowardly, as Bob Gainey said on Mitch Melnick’s show last week, vast majority of NHL players, especially top end talents want nothing to do with glare + taxation Mtl & Toronto offer - which makes Tavares’ willingness to sign w Leafs all the more impressive

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Cgy essentially provided Huberdeau the same offer Gaudreau was given.

Reactions: Wats

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
50 bucks he does the way of Hurbedeau and never ends up in Montreal
Francophones are the biggest bullshitters in the league
They say what their Francophone base wants to hear and then never follow up
I want passengers in Montreal, not hostages

You forgot Briere as a UFA and Vinny who didn’t wanna waive his no trade for Montreal
Lol Francophone players are so cowardly when it comes time to ever wanna play in Montreal
Not sure why you have Malkin there .that’s kinda strange
On se calme, le Stooge.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It’s not cowardly, as Bob Gainey said on Mitch Melnick’s show last week, vast majority of NHL players, especially top end talents want nothing to do with glare + taxation Mtl & Toronto offer - which makes Tavares’ willingness to sign w Leafs all the more impressive
At the very high end (10m+) I think the difference is less prominent. For the players like Dale Weise who get one or two shots at a payday, they’re likelier to chase maximum take-home.

High end Salaries in hockey are crazy low compared to other big sports… there will be more “CBA issues” to come

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He could have waited one year and get great money as well.

Sure.....he could have got that money from many teams.....

People should stop thinking every local player wants to play here because every medias keep asking them:
- Would you like to play here home?
It's a trick question, they can't say no.....they're force to say yes.....but it's not the truth.

Just like those people thinking PLD only wants to play here...IT IS NOT TRUE

Reactions: Fenris and SlafySZN

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Ayaaaaaaaaaaaaa so much for Huberdeau to the Habs
1466366209-risitas24.png

Don’t think this will age well. Glad it’s not with us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad