Speculation: Free Agency - Part 2

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Friedman on 31 thoughts said someone told him Ottawa checked in on Toffoli
Toffoli probably didn't want to be part of rebuild. Only UFA players left that I would sign are Duclair or Hoffman but neither play great defense and neither want to come back to Ottawa likely. I guess we go with the kids from Belleville, the bottom six bruisers we got recently and hope they turn into butterflies.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Good news that we were in the mix for Toffoli. Gives me hope that we could be in on a Granlund or a Dadonov.

Reactions: Boud

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We should be in on guys to sign “somewhat” big 1 year deals with the promise to trade them to a contender at the deadline and get back in UFA in a much more stable environment.

No guys left that I think are a fit with our core, but can always get the most out of them for 3 months and then grab a few picks/prospects we can use to get actual core members at next years draft and expansion draft.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Someone on the mains nailed it a treat about Marleau re-signing with SJ;

It’s like Jagr without the fun.

Marleau is way past it now.

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We should be in on guys to sign “somewhat” big 1 year deals with the promise to trade them to a contender at the deadline and get back in UFA in a much more stable environment.

No guys left that I think are a fit with our core, but can always get the most out of them for 3 months and then grab a few picks/prospects we can use to get actual core members at next years draft and expansion draft.

I think Granlund would be a good fit for a year.

Reactions: Daffy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Friedman on 31 thoughts said someone told him Ottawa checked in on Toffoli
Oh I suppose we check "in" on many higher priced vets...But very seldom do we ever land them....Many reasons that are layered out very carefully by management so as we never get our hopes up...Small market ,low budget,always rebuilding...

Reactions: Emerica

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Galchenyuk and Granlund are ideal options for giving opportunity to players that could return something of value at the deadline. Would like to see one of them on a 1-2 year deal to fill in the top 6

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Friedman said we were "right there" for Toffoli along with a couple other teams. Sounds like we actually made a legit attempt for him.

Well I sure hope we made a better offer than the Habs. 4.25M x 4YRs for a 20-30G scorer should have easily been beatable.

Would have offered at least 1M extra per year to entice him to come back to Ottawa. Could have been a great finishing piece to our top line as the sniper beside the playmaker Stutzle and the powerforward Tkachuk.

Reactions: Daffy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Well I sure hope we made a better offer than the Habs. 4.25M x 4YRs for a 20-30G scorer should have easily been beatable.

Would have offered at least 1M extra per year to entice him to come back to Ottawa. Could have been a great finishing piece to our top line as the sniper beside the playmaker Stutzle and the powerforward Tkachuk.
I don't think an extra $1M/yr does it to overcome the undesirability of the destination. Maybe no amount does, in certain cases.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't think an extra $1M/yr does it to overcome the undesirability of the destination. Maybe no amount does, in certain cases.

That's entirely possible. I think the Sens' future is far superior to that of the Habs, who have all the makings of a 14th finisher for the next 4 years, but I could see why he wouldn't want to sign here given how bad we're going to be next season.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Good news that we were in the mix for Toffoli. Gives me hope that we could be in on a Granlund or a Dadonov.

Yeah I’ve been complaining a decent amount but if we at least checked in and tried then I’m happy enough and believe that we may be in on others. Can’t decide what the players do, there plenty more attractive places to play than here

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Duclair, Hoffman, Dadonov, Granlund are probably the only FAs left that I’d welcome to our team. Am I forgetting someone?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Friedman said we were "right there" for Toffoli along with a couple other teams. Sounds like we actually made a legit attempt for him.

“Right there” seems to indicate we made a reasonable but not quite enough offer. Close but no cigar.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
That's entirely possible. I think the Sens' future is far superior to that of the Habs, who have all the makings of a 14th finisher for the next 4 years, but I could see why he wouldn't want to sign here given how bad we're going to be next season.

It's not just how bad the team is going to be next season, it's the organization in general. There aren't a lot of players that are choosing the Ottawa Senators over the Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: DrEasy

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
To be honest I'm not really super interested in any of the remaining UFA's

I hope we go the trade route for a top 6 forward C or RW

Reactions: topshelf15

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Duclair, Hoffman, Dadonov, Granlund are probably the only FAs left that I’d welcome to our team. Am I forgetting someone?
If any one of these FAs have the same thoughts as Taylor Hall and want to cash in on a 1 year deal during uncertain times, I’d love to see Ottawa overpay for Dadonov and flip him for a 1st at the deadline

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad