Speculation: Free Agency - Part 2

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Garrioch had a tweet that he'd generated lots of interest but was in no hurry to make a decision.

When a player says he generated a lot of interest but was in no hurry, that usually means that he did not receive the salary or other benefits that he expected and wants to wait to see if he could do better, meaning meet his expectations, or is waiting for an offer from another team after other players are signed.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
When a player says he generated a lot of interest but was in no hurry, that usually means that he did not receive the salary or other benefits that he expected and wants to wait to see if he could do better, meaning meet his expectations, or is waiting for an offer from another team after other players are signed.
Could certainly be the case.

I think he'll have no issue getting a nice contract, but if he thinks he'll be paid based solely on his offensive numbers, I think he's dreaming. No way he's getting 6 or 7 mil a year imo, but his numbers come pretty close to justifying that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah I’ve been complaining a decent amount but if we at least checked in and tried then I’m happy enough and believe that we may be in on others. Can’t decide what the players do, there plenty more attractive places to play than here

I don’t see the Senators being a desired team to play for for multiple reasons including weather, small city, taxes, etc. Then there is the fact that the owner has a bad reputation. Adding to that, the team currently is a bottom dweller at this time and, although it has some promising young prospects, it lacks highly skilled vets, thus making it a team that is not a playoff team and not regarded as a SC contender now or the near future. Then there is the budget. It leads to building through the draft and development over several years.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well I sure hope we made a better offer than the Habs. 4.25M x 4YRs for a 20-30G scorer should have easily been beatable.

Would have offered at least 1M extra per year to entice him to come back to Ottawa. Could have been a great finishing piece to our top line as the sniper beside the playmaker Stutzle and the powerforward Tkachuk.
I don’t know about that. We will have a lot of core pieces to sign in the next few years. I imagine we don’t want to go past 3?years unless it’s a core piece. SMH at that Zaitsev contract.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t see the Senators being a desired team to play for for multiple reasons including weather, small city, taxes, etc. Then there is the fact that the owner has a bad reputation. Adding to that, the team currently is a bottom dweller at this time and, although it has some promising young prospects, it lacks highly skilled vets, thus making it a team that is not a playoff team and not regarded as a SC contender now or the near future. Then there is the budget. It leads to building through the draft and development over several years.
If we start winning, recruiting will become much easier.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hoff past 5 seasons - 142g 305p
Toffoli past 5 seasons - 108g 217p

Hoff is probably around ~2 mill over what Toffoli got over a 4+ year deal based on bargaining power
I bet Hoffman gets a lower total contract than 17M. There are other factors.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If we start winning, recruiting will become much easier.

I agree. I suspect that it will take at least two seasons before the young prospects and new draft picks in the future drafts develop and start to become quality NHL players. So making the playoffs may not occur until the 22-23 season at the earliest. When the team starts to make the playoffs on a consistent basis over several years, then the team might be able to attract some quality UFAs and players with no move and no trade clauses. Hopefully the budget will rise to provide the $$$ required.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That wasn’t the bet. Total contract value. I don’t see a team committing 4 years to Hoffman.
Why does Hoffman shudder at the contract then? Toffoli's deal's length has nothing to do with Hoff's contract suitors, I'd still think he will get more than 17. He was never getting more than 4/5 years, he's 31

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why does Hoffman shudder at the contract then? Toffoli's deal's length has nothing to do with Hoff's contract suitors
Because he is getting older and likely was looking for 30M and he will be extremely lucky to get half of that. Before Covid Toffoli was probably a 6M dollar player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because he is getting older and likely was looking for 30M and he will be extremely lucky to get half of that. Before Covid Toffoli was probably a 6M dollar player.
If Toffoli was a 6 million dollar player before covid, Hoff was a 7-8 million dollar guy before covid.

He averages 7 less goals, and 18 less points a season over the past 5 years. Hoff out producing him every season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If Toffoli was a 6 million dollar player before covid, Hoff was a 7-8 million dollar before covid.

He averages 7 less goals, and 18 less points a season over the past 5 years.
Toffoli is 2.5 years younger. Difference of opinion. Let’s see what Hoffman gets. Hope he gets a good deal since he got screwed over at the end here.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If Toffoli was a 6 million dollar player before covid, Hoff was a 7-8 million dollar guy before covid.

He averages 7 less goals, and 18 less points a season over the past 5 years. Hoff out producing him every season.
Hoff is coming off two of his most productive seasons too. All while being more of a secondaey option on any team he's played for. Has shown some ability to come through in the clutch as well.

I think he gets a 3 or 4 year deal @5-5.5 mil per and he deserves it imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad