Speculation: Free Agency - Part 2

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Detroit Red Wings' Steve Yzerman reveals his NHL draft strategy

How different is this than a Dorion meet the press day. Who do you find more believable? and who would you have more confidence in?

I like his point on the importance on hitting on picks right through the draft.
Detroit is extremely lucky to have Yzerman leading the rebuild. I’d have a lot of confidence in him if I was a Red Wings fan.

Dorion should take public speaking lessons. He comes off as a slimy used car salesman.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

How different is this than a Dorion meet the press day. Who do you find more believable? and who would you have more confidence in?

I think Dorion said something along the lines of we are going to draft the best player for the ottawa senators. Basically, he danced around the question, and gave a bit of a non answer, which I don't mind.

If you say you're going to draft the BPA, assuming you're being honest, it makes you more predictable, which means you lose a bit of leverage in trade talks.

In the end though, BPA can mean different player to different teams. I think the idea he was trying to get at is you draft the player that will have the greatest impact for your team. If you're building a team that is going to be a big bruising defensive team that grinds things out, maybe a guy like Tkachuk makes more sense than Hughes.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think Hoffman threw up in his mouth when he saw Toffoli’s contract.

Duclair is probably on suicide watch. If the rumour is true that Ottawa offered him high 4s on a multi year deal, I can't imagine he's getting anything close to that after the Toffoli signing.

If Toffoli was a 6 million dollar player before covid, Hoff was a 7-8 million dollar guy before covid.

He averages 7 less goals, and 18 less points a season over the past 5 years. Hoff out producing him every season.

Hoffman kills you on the defensive side though. I bet he's on the ice for 35+ more goals against per year than Toffoli is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Duclair is probably on suicide watch. If the rumour is true that Ottawa offered him high 4s on a multi year deal, I can't imagine he's getting anything close to that after the Toffoli signing.

Any source on that rumor? I just find it a little high and I am not sure how Duclair would not accept that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Any source on that rumor? I just find it a little high and I am not sure how Duclair would not accept that.
High 4s doesn't logically make sense to me as we presumably would have qualified him if we were willing to go that high.

Maybe we offered an escalating deal that ended in the high 4s? Like 2.7, 3.7, 4.7?

It's also interesting that Duclair has been similarly productive to Tofolli over the last two seasons, and is 3 years younger. Tofolli did have the strong finish after the trade though, so that might have teams feeling he regained his form.

Reactions: GCK

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Dorion said something along the lines of we are going to draft the best player for the ottawa senators. Basically, he danced around the question, and gave a bit of a non answer, which I don't mind.

If you say you're going to draft the BPA, assuming you're being honest, it makes you more predictable, which means you lose a bit of leverage in trade talks.

In the end though, BPA can mean different player to different teams. I think the idea he was trying to get at is you draft the player that will have the greatest impact for your team. If you're building a team that is going to be a big bruising defensive team that grinds things out, maybe a guy like Tkachuk makes more sense than Hughes.

yea but just because you have a Hughes on your team doesn't mean that you can't be a big bruising team that can grind things out. imo Hughes will make a bigger impact on any hockey team than Brady because the gap in skill/iq/ability is too large.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
yea but just because you have a Hughes on your team doesn't mean that you can't be a big bruising team that can grind things out. imo Hughes will make a bigger impact on any hockey team than Brady because the gap in skill/iq/ability is too large.
Hughes is so much fun to watch. Confident with elite skill and head for the game. Like our old #65.

Reactions: HzH

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

thanks for posting this. what an enlightening interview.

and also straight from the goats mouth, "it's as simple as getting talent in the building and going from there." Dorion is the the anti-thesis of this. imagine how bleak the outlook would be if we didn't get Stutzle. and thats after 3 years of finishing at the bottom

Last edited:

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
thanks for posting this. what an enlightening interview.

and also straight from the goats mouth, "it's as simple as getting talent in the building and going from there." Dorion is the the anti-thesis of this. imagine how bleak the outlook would be if we didn't get Stutzle. and thats after 3 years of finishing at the bottom

Outlook is ugly as hell when you think about how lucky we were, Stutzle wasn't even our pick, it was SJ's 1st.

The possibility of it being a top5 pick at the time of the trade was slim to none they had just added a top 5 dman in the nhl on a team that made it to game 6 of the WCF they probably though at worst they get a 1st round exit so 16 to 24th which is probably Mercer or Reichel but the wheels fell off lol and we ended up with 3rd.

I was ok with the Sanderson pick because of Stutzle but if he still picks Sanderson at 5 no matter what and we end up with Sanderson + Mercer/Reichel/Zary I would be disappointed at the talent we left on the board at 5 with Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti still there.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
What about bringing back Big Z for one year? He's 43. I know... it's silly. Wolanin and Brannstrom need playing time. I'd be nice seeing him in Sens colours one last time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, i don't really disagree, but their end state after development was far from guaranteed at the time of the draft.

Pretend the gap is smaller and thats the concept I'm getting at.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

This is dhaliwal responding to another user asking what he knows.

probably looking for a righty since we only have Myers right now.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
As per Garrioch: "The club is still trying to add a forward or two through free agency or trade, so keep an eye on the situation"

Interested to see how the roster shapes out before the season begins, still some teams that need to make moves

Reactions: NB613

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
As per Garrioch: "The club is still trying to add a forward or two through free agency or trade, so keep an eye on the situation"

Interested to see how the roster shapes out before the season begins, still some teams that need to make moves
I think we need to get some character players. Some big guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad