GDT: Free Agency/Offseason 2013

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It looks like the blue jackets are looking to make the playoffs and have a lot of good players but as an outsider looking in who will be your top 2 centres and do you need an upgrade in that positions? I think you do and Montreal has an extra offensive centre that are willing to trade.

Would David Desharnais fit in with the CBJ? He is small but put up 60 points in the last full NHL season. He had 28 points last year in 48 games. That would have made him the CBJ's leading scorer the last 2 years. David Desharnais is signed for 4 more years at 3.5 million

Montreal would be looking for a big winger in return and the CBJ have lots of them in Horton/ Dubinsky/Anisimov/Umberger/Folingo/.

Would the CBJ trade 1 of Dubinsky/Anisimov/Umberger/Folingo/ for Desharnais ?

I think he'd be a great fit here. His vision and playmaking ability would be key on a team which struggles to score goals. He would help the power play as well. His diminutive stature wouldn't be near the issue here as it has become in Montreal.

The Habs wouldn't take Umberger. Plus he's got a NMC in his contract and costs $1 million more per year than DD. As much as a lot of the HFboard Montreal group hates DD, they'd hate Umberger a lot more:laugh: Think Bourque in the year of his trade (not last year) for 4 years at $4.5 million per. Not on Bergevin's bucket list. LOL

Foligno and Dubinski are gritty players, the type that the smallish Canadiens could use. With the Jackets recent UFA acquisition of Nathan Horton, they would probably be better off with the added scoring of Desharnais despite the loss of grit that the team would lose in a Foligno or Dubinski for Desharnais deal.

Asinimov is a harder one for me to answer. I think he's got a ton of offensive potential. But, Desharnais has already put up a 60 point season in his only full NHL season so his upside has already been demonstrated to be probably as much as one could reasonably expect of Asinimov. Still, a tough call. I'd view this possible trade as an exchange of complimentary players compared to the grit/production exchange that either Dubinsky or Foligno for Desharnais would bring.

I'd love to see DD in a Jackets sweater. I think that he'd thrive here and the Habs would benefit from either Dubinsky or Foligno.

I think that you've made a very reasonable proposition.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From Jarmo

“We want to get more familiar with him, get to know him better,†general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said of Gaborik, who was acquired at the NHL trade deadline on April 3. “Sure, we’re thinking about it already, but we’re going to let it go into the season, hope to see him score a lot of goals for us and then talk about getting him extended.â€

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/07/11/gaborik-deal-not-imminent.html

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I'm not so sure we bought low. We got the best player in the deal, but we gave up some pieces of significance.

No idea if we resign him, but my hunch is leaning towards we do.

The pieces given up were redundant. So yes I would say bought low for a player of Gaborik's skill level.

The question now is can he perform at that level again?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
How in the hell are we going to buy low and sell high? Best case for a return is a dead line deal, that means we are likely out of the playoff hunt unless we move him and pick up other pieces. That scenario seems unlikely if he's performing.

If he's performing and we are out of it, I doubt we're going to see the same type of package come back. A first from a playoff team isn't going to equal John Moore.

"redundant" pieces or not, Brassard and Moore could have been used in other deals.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If Gaborik is moved (just hypothetically speaking), I would hope that a 2015 1st would be returned as part of the deal. My reasons for this would be that it's more likely Gaborik would be moved to a team that wants to win the cup or is firmly in playoff position. Getting the 2015 pick would leave draft spots 1-30 open whith a chance at McDavid in the event said team fell apart....

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As much as a lot of the HFboard Montreal group hates DD, they'd hate Umberger a lot more:laugh: Think Bourque in the year of his trade (not last year) for 4 years at $4.5 million per.

I don't think Umby's had a performance like that at any point in his professional hockey career, let alone lately - Bourque's trade-year performance was epic g-dawful. Otherwise, though, the comparison's not too far off.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Gotta agree that we likely won't see Gaborik here long term, however I think that flipping Gaborik has always been part of the plan. We bought low and have an opportunity to sell high. I expect that we will move him for a package to open up cap room and to acquire more assets to continue the rebuild.

Now we're talking sense. :handclap:

We TRY to sign him at the proper salary based on his performance the first half of this season. If that's not going to happen, he's moved at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
we don't necc need him to do those things, we need him to score goals...he does that quite well...we have plenty of others that backcheck and grind...he and horton will be scoring goals for us...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
we don't necc need him to do those things, we need him to score goals...he does that quite well...we have plenty of others that backcheck and grind...he and horton will be scoring goals for us...

Agreed on all counts.

It's currently fashionable to discount the value of a pure scorer with laments about lack of backchecking, grit, going into the tough areas, etc.

Scoring is at a premium in the NHL these days. Only six teams in the entire NHL scored 3 goals or more per game in 2012-13. Six. While one certainly doesn't want to have a player show complete disinterest in the defensive side of his game, a pure scorer creates more overall value to his team than the currently vaunted "grinder" who can't score for his life most of the time.

While grinders have their value, without someone to put the puck in the net, a team full of grinders will not win many games.

Let Gaborik score and score some more and let the grinders and defensemen worry about keeping the puck out of the Jackets net. It seems to work for the Blackhawks with some guy named Kane.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
With Kovy retiring and the devils having to forfeit their pick this year it would be interesting to see what we could get for Gaborik as Lou might be willing to overpay given the circumstances. Herique+ maybe?

habsroom

May 6, 2009
Canada
I think he'd be a great fit here. His vision and playmaking ability would be key on a team which struggles to score goals. He would help the power play as well. His diminutive stature wouldn't be near the issue here as it has become in Montreal.

The Habs wouldn't take Umberger. Plus he's got a NMC in his contract and costs $1 million more per year than DD. As much as a lot of the HFboard Montreal group hates DD, they'd hate Umberger a lot more:laugh: Think Bourque in the year of his trade (not last year) for 4 years at $4.5 million per. Not on Bergevin's bucket list. LOL

Foligno and Dubinski are gritty players, the type that the smallish Canadiens could use. With the Jackets recent UFA acquisition of Nathan Horton, they would probably be better off with the added scoring of Desharnais despite the loss of grit that the team would lose in a Foligno or Dubinski for Desharnais deal.

Asinimov is a harder one for me to answer. I think he's got a ton of offensive potential. But, Desharnais has already put up a 60 point season in his only full NHL season so his upside has already been demonstrated to be probably as much as one could reasonably expect of Asinimov. Still, a tough call. I'd view this possible trade as an exchange of complimentary players compared to the grit/production exchange that either Dubinsky or Foligno for Desharnais would bring.

I'd love to see DD in a Jackets sweater. I think that he'd thrive here and the Habs would benefit from either Dubinsky or Foligno.

Thanks great response, I can't believe that most of the CBJ fans on here wouldn't be interested in a centre that has put up 60 points last time the NHL played a full season. I feel he is what CBJ needs and the only reason the HABS could trade him is that we have 4 or 5 offensive centres in Montreal. I would rather like Dubinsky in the trade and I still feel CBJ would win this trade.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
If the CBJ are trading Gaborik at any point this season, it probably means the team sucks. I hope that isn't the case.
I just can't envision a scenario where the team is successful and can afford to part with Gaborik.

My guess -- he plays the full year here then walks as a free agent.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thanks great response, I can't believe that most of the CBJ fans on here wouldn't be interested in a centre that has put up 60 points last team the NHL played a full season. I feel he is what CBJ needs and the only reason the HABS could trade him is that we have 4 or 5 offensive centres in Montreal. I would rather like Dubinsky in the trade and I still feel CBJ would win this trade.

Most CBJ fans on here aren't interested in giving up the pieces that would have to be traded to get this player. Don't confuse that for disinterest in the player himself.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Thanks great response, I can't believe that most of the CBJ fans on here wouldn't be interested in a centre that has put up 60 points last team the NHL played a full season. I feel he is what CBJ needs and the only reason the HABS could trade him is that we have 4 or 5 offensive centres in Montreal. I would rather like Dubinsky in the trade and I still feel CBJ would win this trade.

Dubinsky might be the most untouchable player on the team. Killer on the draw, possible captain, excellent defensively, and what people overlook most about him: he scored at a 56 point pace while only having a .04 shooting %. That's insane. Maybe he gets traded, who knows. But it sure as hell won't be for David Desharnais, the guy all Habs fans want to part with.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

It is a reasonable proposition, but Desharnais isn't necessarily an upgrade in production over Dubinsky. Duby scored at a higher rate this year, and combined with his leadership and grit I think is a more valuable player.

Desharnais wouldn't be a big upgrade here for the same reason he is kind of redundant in Montreal- there are other more versatile centers who can also produce (Eller, Galchenyuk, Plekanec in Montreal, Duby and Anisimov here.)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I would rather like Dubinsky in the trade and I still feel CBJ would win this trade.

No way we win that trade. Not even close. No way in hell it happens. Just want to make sure it's clear and there is no lingering on the topic. Don't try and talk us into it. Partly because it's totally irrelevant whether we like the idea of the trade or not.

I have no idea if opposing teams fans get off on trying to get us to agree to bad trades or what?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Thanks. I think the reason why your proposal didn't get much response is that most here aren't familiar with Desharnais and there is a bit of a love fest going on with the current line up given last year. Very understandable on people not wanting to part with the current pieces. Still, DD has a vision which none of the players you suggested has and would be the true playmaking center which the CBJ currently lack. I agree that the Jackets would win this trade.

It is a reasonable proposition, but Desharnais isn't necessarily an upgrade in production over Dubinsky. Duby scored at a higher rate this year, and combined with his leadership and grit I think is a more valuable player.

Desharnais wouldn't be a big upgrade here for the same reason he is kind of redundant in Montreal- there are other more versatile centers who can also produce (Eller, Galchenyuk, Plekanec in Montreal, Duby and Anisimov here.)

I show DD at 2.04 pts/60 5v5 vs. 1.92 for Dubinsky last season. Dubinsky's 19 assists in 28 games is not a sustainable rate for him (though his shooting % of 4% will obviously climb this year) and Desharnais' power play production was abysmal last season for a variety of reasons. DD also has only 178 NHL games under his belt compared to 422 of BD. I think his offensive upside is higher-though it's true that Dubinski should increase his scoring with a more prominent role on the Jackets than he had with the NYR.

I look at the current CBJ roster of centers in Dubinski, Asinimov, Letestu and Johansen and I find it hard to see how Desharnais couldn't upgrade this group. DD could also be shifted to wing if need be.

Last season only one CBJ had more points than DD who had 28. Prospal had 30. In the previous season, in his first full NHL season, Desharnais outscored (60 points) every CBJ including rick Nash (59 points). Last season was not a particularly good one for DD and I look for his production rate to increase IF he gets similar ice time in Montreal. The Jackets are still in need of offensive help despite the additions of Gaborik and Horton. Desharnais would definitely help in this area.

For me, the trade in grit for production is the deciding factor. I do, however, see your points and understand how a trade of BD for DD would not be ideal from your standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thanks. I think the reason why your proposal didn't get much response is that most here aren't familiar with Desharnais and there is a bit of a love fest going on with the current line up given last year. Very understandable on people not wanting to part with the current pieces. Still, DD has a vision which none of the players you suggested has and would be the true playmaking center which the CBJ currently lack. I agree that the Jackets would win this trade.

I addressed this once in here, and added on the mains why CBJ would trade a winger for a center rather than just sign a center instead of a wing in UFA, which is exactly what they did. You're more than welcome to approve of such a trade, but don't chalk up people holding a different opinion to them not knowing what the hell they're talking about.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
No way we win that trade. Not even close. No way in hell it happens. Just want to make sure it's clear and there is no lingering on the topic. Don't try and talk us into it. Partly because it's totally irrelevant whether we like the idea of the trade or not.

I have no idea if opposing teams fans get off on trying to get us to agree to bad trades or what?

Got to say, I agree with CR on this (as far as DD having value). DD would be a benefit to the CBJ roster. I do not beleive we would do this at the expense of Dubi or Anisimov. But I do think something centered around Umberger or Foligno would not be out of the realm.

Those two seem to be of less importance and while yes losing them could hurt, we are looking at a player who can dish quite well and would likely mesh with either or both Horton and Gaborik.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Got to say, I agree with CR on this (as far as DD having value). DD would be a benefit to the CBJ roster. I do not beleive we would do this at the expense of Dubi or Anisimov. But I do think something centered around Umberger or Foligno would not be out of the realm.

Those two seem to be of less importance and while yes losing them could hurt, we are looking at a player who can dish quite well and would likely mesh with either or both Horton and Gaborik.

Agree with what? Why did you quote me?

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Agree with what? Why did you quote me?

I'm not sure I agree. DD while being a talented player is going to have unknown chemistry when he comes to this team. You can't say for certain that he would mesh with our players, though it certainly is possible. The only player I actively want to get rid of is Umberger, but with his large contract and disappointing play the past few years, I wouldn't really expect anyone to take him without another piece to sweeten the deal. This is something I'm not sure I'd want to do at this moment, even for a player like DD.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

It happens to everyone, from everyone. It's not just us.

Personally, I'm with DSL:
Most CBJ fans on here aren't interested in giving up the pieces that would have to be traded to get this player. Don't confuse that for disinterest in the player himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad