GDT: Free Agency/Offseason 2013

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So THIS is what a real NHL organization looks like?!? :)
chainsaw.gif

We've had this discussion already. Don't make me REEXPLAIN it in DETAIL.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I just remember when baseless, perspective-less criticism of management was a bad thing is all. Can I get you a new windmill?

Baseless? Perspective-less?

I don't see how stating an absolute fact (that Columbus is carrying 47/50 contracts) is "baseless". Disagree with my previously-stated conclusion if you desire, which is that operating close to the limit constricts the ability to make moves. There were five players drafted in 2012 who have not yet signed an ELC. There's an overlap between the time that current contracts expire and the draft re-entry date, and there's no additional allowance for an offseason overage. 26 of those contracts expire after this season, and it makes not one damned bit of difference because there's no way to sign the 2012 prospects without moving two of those. And that's assuming other moves aren't made. Unless there's a retroactive amendment in the new CBA that covers the 2012 draft, that's an issue.

Now, if you want to tell me that the current contract situation is based on the idea of having both the NHL and AHL teams under contract in order to maximize the ability to be involved in player development in the AHL (by not having those pesky AHL-only players around eating up ice time), then that's fine. I fail to see how any of this could be branded as "baseless" or "perspective-less".

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Ok, we are now discussing the number of players under contract with concern? :help:

Training camp cannot start soon enough so I can see this new team... Oh wait.. That's right... We basically signed one new guy that won't be playing until around the new year and likely lost Prospal.

All I have to say is that Bob better perform.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Ok, we are now discussing the number of players under contract with concern? :help:

Training camp cannot start soon enough so I can see this new team... Oh wait.. That's right... We basically signed one new guy that won't be playing until around the new year and likely lost Prospal.

All I have to say is that Bob better perform.

I'm just excited to watch some damn hockey.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Columbus - Vancouver trade

The Canucks have too many bottom 6, speedy penalty killers but could use a third pairing RD and which the Jackets have an over supply of.

Would Columbus be interested in Bill Sweatt in exchange for David Savard?

HF's analysis of Bill Sweatt:

Talent Analysis
Sweatt has unbelievable speed, but what sets him apart is his ability to make plays at high speeds. He also has great acceleration. Sweatt possesses great hands and is smart in his decisions with the puck. Rarely can he be found turning the puck over. Sweatt's superb defensive play and awareness is one area that has progressed quite nicely this season, and has made him an effective penalty killer. Sweatt also possesses excellent on-ice vision and has a keen sense of being able to find open spaces and knowing where the play is going to end up. While Sweatt has all of the necessary tools for future success, adding size and strength to his 6'0" frame will be essential to his pursuit of achieving that success.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The Canucks have too many bottom 6, speedy penalty killers but could use a third pairing RD and which the Jackets have an over supply of.

Would Colubus be interested in Bill Sweatt in exchange for David Savard?

HF's analysis of Bill Sweatt:

Talent Analysis
Sweatt has unbelievable speed, but what sets him apart is his ability to make plays at high speeds. He also has great acceleration. Sweatt possesses great hands and is smart in his decisions with the puck. Rarely can he be found turning the puck over. Sweatt's superb defensive play and awareness is one area that has progressed quite nicely this season, and has made him an effective penalty killer. Sweatt also possesses excellent on-ice vision and has a keen sense of being able to find open spaces and knowing where the play is going to end up. While Sweatt has all of the necessary tools for future success, adding size and strength to his 6'0" frame will be essential to his pursuit of achieving that success.

Is this the same Bill Sweatt who signed in the Swedish League over a month ago?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
My mistake. I missed that. Don't know if he has an out clause or not.

What would the Jackets be interested in for Savard?

5th round pick gets him.

Or, you could very possibly get him for free if he doesn't make the team out of camp. He's waiver eligible this year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
5th round pick gets him.

Or, you could very possibly get him for free if he doesn't make the team out of camp. He's waiver eligible this year.

The Canucks probably are too far down the waiver claim order. 4th rounder!

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Baseless? Perspective-less?

I don't see how stating an absolute fact (that Columbus is carrying 47/50 contracts) is "baseless". Disagree with my previously-stated conclusion if you desire, which is that operating close to the limit constricts the ability to make moves. There were five players drafted in 2012 who have not yet signed an ELC. There's an overlap between the time that current contracts expire and the draft re-entry date, and there's no additional allowance for an offseason overage. 26 of those contracts expire after this season, and it makes not one damned bit of difference because there's no way to sign the 2012 prospects without moving two of those. And that's assuming other moves aren't made. Unless there's a retroactive amendment in the new CBA that covers the 2012 draft, that's an issue.

Now, if you want to tell me that the current contract situation is based on the idea of having both the NHL and AHL teams under contract in order to maximize the ability to be involved in player development in the AHL (by not having those pesky AHL-only players around eating up ice time), then that's fine. I fail to see how any of this could be branded as "baseless" or "perspective-less".

Or, maybe Howson and Co.'s final draft was so poor that aren't that worried about signing all of those guys.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Or, maybe Howson and Co.'s final draft was so poor that aren't that worried about signing all of those guys.

What I see are 10-12 contracts that are unlikely to get renewed next year which would leave plenty of space for draft picks to be signed. Personally, I don't see an issue with having 47/50 contracts on the books. At the deadline that could potentially change if we're moving 1 guy and returning 3.

Nothing directed at you here, just sticking my nose in this business... :)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You realize, of course, that the "five guys" being talked about are Dansk, Korpisalo, Anderson, Zaar, and Curcuruto, right? Three of those (excepting Anderson and Curcuruto) were consensus top-20 here, and Curcuruto was a favorite unofficial Honorable Mention.

Sometimes it's useful to educate yourself before you take potshots at your favorite target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad