GDT: Free Agency/Offseason 2013

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It looks like the blue jackets are looking to make the playoffs and have a lot of good players but as an outsider looking in who will be your top 2 centres and do you need an upgrade in that positions? I think you do and Montreal has an extra offensive centre that are willing to trade.

Would David Desharnais fit in with the CBJ? He is small but put up 60 points in the last full NHL season. He had 28 points last year in 48 games. That would have made him the CBJ's leading scorer the last 2 years. David Desharnais is signed for 4 more years at 3.5 million

Montreal would be looking for a big winger in return and the CBJ have lots of them in Horton/ Dubinsky/Anisimov/Umberger/Folingo/.

Would the CBJ trade 1 of Dubinsky/Anisimov/Umberger/Folingo/ for Desharnais ?

Don't see it. The CBJ depth at center is most likely:
1) Anisimov
2) Johansen/Dubinsky
3) Dubinsky/Johansen
4) MacKenzie/Letestu(who could play higher in lineup on wing)
5) Jenner
6) Wennberg

I don't know enough about Desharnais but the CBJ likely doesn't really seem to have an opening at Center. Dubi and Anisimov are centers first and foremost, not wings (although both can play). Most on here would gladly move Umberger if there was a taker but I'm not one of them. I still have some hope.... :)

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
It looks like the blue jackets are looking to make the playoffs and have a lot of good players but as an outsider looking in who will be your top 2 centres and do you need an upgrade in that positions? I think you do and Montreal has an extra offensive centre that are willing to trade.

Would David Desharnais fit in with the CBJ? He is small but put up 60 points in the last full NHL season. He had 28 points last year in 48 games. That would have made him the CBJ's leading scorer the last 2 years. David Desharnais is signed for 4 more years at 3.5 million

Montreal would be looking for a big winger in return and the CBJ have lots of them in Horton/ Dubinsky/Anisimov/Umberger/Folingo/.

I think you will find many here willing to give up Umberger in that deal, but I doubt it would work from your end.

cydawg

#DefendNWA
Jun 2, 2007
Gahanna, OH
I wouldn't trade any of those players for another center, let alone another 2nd line center. If we upgrade anywhere, it would be on the wing.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
In a heart beat!

Side note I bet RJ scores over 20 g this year. Any takers?

I bet he does have a great season. Because it'll end up kinda screwing the team over in the long run, which he's excelled at these past few years.

If Umberger has a return to form, it'll almost be bad for the club. If Johansen has a good/great season, it'll likely mean we can't resign Gaborik (if that's the direction Jarmo wants to head) without buying out the Umbergler.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

No thank you.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I don't think Jarmo would have any problem not bringing back Umberger, even if he has a good season, if he thinks it would help make the team better. That goes for every player on the team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think Jarmo would have any problem not bringing back Umberger, even if he has a good season, if he thinks it would help make the team better. That goes for every player on the team.

Well beyond the statement of "No player is untradable", I'm not really sure where you are going with this.

JK seems to be in wait and see mode with RJ, but if he moves him now that would eliminate phase 1 of that plan. But you seem to be commenting more on next season than this one, so I'm a bit confused.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I bet he does have a great season. Because it'll end up kinda screwing the team over in the long run, which he's excelled at these past few years.

If Umberger has a return to form, it'll almost be bad for the club. If Johansen has a good/great season, it'll likely mean we can't resign Gaborik (if that's the direction Jarmo wants to head) without buying out the Umbergler.

We're not going to re-sign Gaborik anyway,

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I believe JK's statement was that the move (Gaborik) was for the future as well as the present.

I would think they would make every attempt to sign him if he has a good season.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Well beyond the statement of "No player is untradable", I'm not really sure where you are going with this.

JK seems to be in wait and see mode with RJ, but if he moves him now that would eliminate phase 1 of that plan. But you seem to be commenting more on next season than this one, so I'm a bit confused.

I am talking about next year.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So, Jarmo moved some good assets for 1.25 seasons of a player, and has absolutely no intention of re-signing him, no matter how he performs or what his demands are?

Doesn't make a lot of sense.
No, I think they'll try. I just don't think Gaborik will want to stay.

Not capable or no intention of trying?

JD and JK already said they are going to try at the time of the deal. That might have changed with Horton, but I doubt it.

See above.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Why?

Just one of those, we'll it's the Jackets things?
Not at all, not that type of fan.

Sweet, why do you say that? Money? What is your gut feeling telling you? At this point I don't think he mind coming back here.

Nothing against the team or the city, i've just always seen Gaborik as someone who wants the bright lights big city. I know he played in Minnesota for years and excelled there, but he loved New York. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't get the vibe from Gaborik that he wants to be here for the long haul.

Plus, we might not have the cap to sign him anyway.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
We're not going to re-sign Gaborik anyway,

No, I think they'll try. I just don't think Gaborik will want to stay.

See above.

Well, he's already waived a no-trade clause to come here. Doubt that was just a snap decision. Seems to me he has faith in the team. And barring things absolutely blowing up this season, I'm sure he'd be willing to stay.

Why don't you let this play out a little bit before you jump to conclusions?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Well, he's already waived a no-trade clause to come here. Doubt that was just a snap decision.

He jumped ship to get away from Torterella. I've always felt that way.

It's called an opinion, they're legal to have. If I'm wrong great, If I'm right then whatever. It's just an opinion with no sources or merit behind it. It's the same as people thinking he'd re-up.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Gotta agree that we likely won't see Gaborik here long term, however I think that flipping Gaborik has always been part of the plan. We bought low and have an opportunity to sell high. I expect that we will move him for a package to open up cap room and to acquire more assets to continue the rebuild.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's the same as people thinking he'd re-up.

Actually I, for example, have no idea if he is going to re-sign. You didn't say "I don't think he'll re-sign", you said he wouldn't. No issue with you having an opinion, however you came out definitive. You may also want to expand on your reasoning when you say something controversial like that.

Frankly I'm not sure that Gaborik has any strong desire to play in a large market. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen strong evidence to the contrary yet. Also, what is interesting is that, if your name isn't Jeff Carter, our city tends to grow on you.

We'll see if his contract situation goes into the season and, if it does, how well he and the team performs. If we're doing well and he has a role he likes, he might decide to stick around. However, he's probably going to have to come down a bit on contract demands.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
We'll see if his contract situation goes into the season and, if it does, how well he and the team performs. If we're doing well and he has a role he likes, he might decide to stick around. However, he's probably going to have to come down a bit on contract demands.

Yep, winning cures all. If the CBJ are winning and Gaborik is getting top line minutes again, I can easily see him re-signing. If the Jackets regress, I expect he'll be gone at the deadline.

skimp

Dec 19, 2006
Marian Gaborik @ MGaborik10 10 Apr
I'm very pleasantly surprised with the city of
Columbus. Nice ppl and great fans!#highstreet

He's not going anywhere. #highstreet!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Kirk_you-must-be-new-here.png

Gotta agree that we likely won't see Gaborik here long term, however I think that flipping Gaborik has always been part of the plan. We bought low and have an opportunity to sell high. I expect that we will move him for a package to open up cap room and to acquire more assets to continue the rebuild.

I think that part of the beauty of the Gaborik deal is that the above is likely their 'worst case scenario'. If Jarmo plays it right, he really can't lose.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

I'm not so sure we bought low. We got the best player in the deal, but we gave up some pieces of significance.

No idea if we resign him, but my hunch is leaning towards we do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad