GDT: Free Agency - Oct 9th - 11:00am CT

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
hopefully this is stan last offseason, he put this team back into cap hell in one summer with trades for players with multiple years on deal and prone to injuries and now they have no dry powder to acquire these solid players on the market for nothing or put an NHL goalie on the roster...he's in chiarelli territory atm

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Vegas should retain half on MAF, and with the space opened up between that and Stasny gone go sign Pietrangelo.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
ya gotta love stanley's bucket approach to sign a bunch of ahl goalies and hope one of them works out to save his job...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Oh I know....however Korpisalo was bad as a backup behind Torts system and then magically figured it out last year. They're about the same age.

Maybe he’s a good locker room guy? I just don’t understand why you’d give him a second year. The money is so little it’s not really a big deal, just kind of a weird move to me that I don’t get.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
He could be a late bloomer. Worth a try.
He's played over 60 games the last three years and has been something in between Anton Forsberg's 17-18 and Cam Ward's 18-19. Boston had seen enough, VGK had seen enough, I'm not sure why Stan hasn't seen enough. He's a lower level back up goalie. This is his age 27 season. He is who we think he is.

The only logic I see in re-signing Subban is that we want to give one of Delia/Lankinen the full time starting job in Rockford to get more reps than the would get as an NHL back up. Of course the problem with that logic is 1) Lankinen is waiver eligible so if you decide Delia is the Hawks starter then you risk losing Lankinen for nothing and 2) The odds are pretty bad of there even being an AHL season.

Reactions: Muffinalt

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
If our cap wasn't an issue I'd say retain a big chunk on Seabs and swap him for MAF. You'll have a lot of cap tied up but for less term.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
used to think it was funny watching edmonton be so poorly managed by pistol pete chia and now we're living it out with stan...ya hate to see it

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Maybe he’s a good locker room guy? I just don’t understand why you’d give him a second year. The money is so little it’s not really a big deal, just kind of a weird move to me that I don’t get.
Korpisalo was good in the playoffs, but his advanced stats this regular season were very in-line with his previous two seasons...which were actually about as bad as Subban.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Those goalies, its going to be messy in our end and on the scoreboard if this holds true. So much for the Bowman 18-24 month declaration of being elite again. Don’t worry Stan, we know this mess has nothing to do with you its all on the former marketing guy, except for any good moves because those were all you. McD probably forced you to say that 18-24 month thing, no accountability for that or anything else we know. The keys have been gifted to you on a full scale rebuild, multiple more years free pass.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Actually not that much cap space :/

If Kubalik 3.9, Strome 2.5, Subban 1.5, Kalynuk up Seabs as 7D, both Nylander and Smith on the roster as 13/14th forward

-- that's 1.2 mil only, and we need 1 mil for bonuses right?

We could create more space if Subban o ly gets 1 mil, and we only have 13 forwards up (let's say Nylander as the 12th, Smith as 13th, Highmore sent down),

-- then it's 2.5 mil.

So I don't expect anything more than a 1.5 mil player. We really should've gotten rid of Smith imo to keep Cagguila comfortably. But that 1.5 player could be him actually, would be nice.

2.6 mil now if we send down Highmore and have Smith as the 13th forward.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Those goalies, its going to be messy in our end and on the scoreboard if this holds true. So much for the Bowman 18-24 month declaration of being elite again. Don’t worry Stan, we know this mess has nothing to do with you its all on the former marketing guy, except for any good moves because those were all you. McD probably forced you to say that 18-24 month thing, no accountability for that or anything else we know. The keys have been gifted to you on a full scale rebuild, multiple more years free pass.

Stan and JC have one more year left on their deal? Given how COVID has impacted teams financially is it perhaps a reason why Stan and JC are still around this year? If so, let them finish the year and then the org can move on and not pay two contracts at once.. McDonough is still making a couple million for a few years so they're paying that as well. Hopefully they're both gone after the season.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I see we’re already complaining about the off-season. We’re not going to do anything today and that’s fine, we shouldn’t be handing anything massive and it’s not a big deal.

Try not to be so miserable, it’s not good for your health. The team won’t be fixed today no matter what we do.

Reactions: Muffinalt and Njfj

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Stan and JC have one more year left on their deal? Given how COVID has impacted teams financially is it perhaps a reason why Stan and JC are still around this year? If so, let them finish the year and then the org can move on and not pay two contracts at once.. McDonough is still making a couple million for a few years so they're paying that as well. Hopefully they're both gone after the season.
The Blackhawks have been printing money for the last decade. If the reason they keep the GM and coach is because they are cheap and don’t want want to pay their salaries and new guys salaries at the same time that’s pretty bad.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The Blackhawks have been printing money for the last decade. If the reason they keep the GM and coach is because they are cheap and don’t want want to pay their salaries and new guys salaries at the same time that’s pretty bad.

how many years did rocky cry that the team was still in the red despite the fact that we all knew the team was minting money at the start of the golden years...but yeah it would be a pretty bad look

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
i know hindsight is 20/20 but man think about what could've been if the hawks came into this summer with the cap space they had last summer...there would've been opportunities all over the place to add solid nhl players for nothing...they wanted ryan murray and he just went for a late pick, they could've added a paul statsny for a pick as well...random luck that sometimes ya need to go your way
So they could be has and cap tied longer to jist different aging or injury prone is what you wish was the case?

I dont get the love or drive of doing things in FA. FA signings are like bad 8/10 times

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I see we’re already complaining about the off-season. We’re not going to do anything today and that’s fine, we shouldn’t be handing anything massive and it’s not a big deal.

Try not to be so miserable, it’s not good for your health. The team won’t be fixed today no matter what we do.
Most people have accepted the fact this team is in rebuild and will likely be bad for the foreseeable future. What more and more are not accepting and have little confidence in is who is responsible for the rebuild and who is behind the bench.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So they could be has and cap tied longer to jist different aging or injury prone is what you wish was the case?

I dont get the love or drive of doing things in FA. FA signings are like bad 8/10 times

talking about the trades that have gone down, not fa signings..they wanted ryan murray last summer and he just went for a 5th round pick...statsny for a 4th is pretty insane value as well..have to imagine there are other deals out there we haven't heard about with similar values

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
how many years did rocky cry that the team was still in the red despite the fact that we all knew the team was minting money at the start of the golden years...but yeah it would be a pretty bad look
Its a staple for every Chicago team, nothing new

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

more about the lack of direction with this team and who is steering the ship...wish the org would come out and do what the rangers did a few years ago and declare the rebuild and go with it...given the fact that stan was in the market for murray it still leads me to believe he was never committed to the rebuild but instead might be forced into it because he simply doesn't have the cap dollars to spend on a goalie unless someone comes cheap, no way the hawks will want to trade saad in this market to free up money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad