GDT: Free Agency interview period

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
If I am Detroit, I offer to retain salary on Howard and take Thomas Greiss off of the Islanders' hands in order to maximize the return. Make use of your cap space as an asset during the rebuilding years. Plus last year looks like an anomaly for Greiss relative to his career numbers, so it would be an opportunity to buy low.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I’d love to move Jimmy and then try to land Varlamov from Colorado. Guy is in a contract year. Would be a potentially awesome chip at the deadline. It’s a big gamble though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We don't need to clear cap space, because I was able to insert John Carson with his 8M contract to our roster. Just if Green is not signed.

In my estimes after RFA extensions, there's 4.6M in cap space without Franzen LTIR overage. If using that by full amount the cap space is 8.5M.

I hope Holland doesn't throw 8.5M to Jack Johnson. :)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
They're not trading Howard until they have a reasonable replacement. I'd dump Howard and sign Leher to a two year deal maybe. Maybe he plays well and they can trade him next off season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They're not trading Howard until they have a reasonable replacement. I'd dump Howard and sign Leher to a two year deal maybe. Maybe he plays well and they can trade him next off season.

That Islanders-idea sounds reasonable, if we will get Greiss. If the idea for Islanders is to get rid of Greiss, then fine.

Greiss has 3 years left with 3.33M. I wouldn't mind signing Lehner for 2M to be his partner. And that goalie department would cost same as Howard himself (~5.3M). We could save the salary of the backup.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm really just expecting a veteran goalie back up. I would love to see a Faulk trade, I think he can be good for years down the road and help the team win here in a couple seasons. Without a trade to shake things up with the forwards, I don't think Wings should sign any forwards to long-term money. Not sure big money to any free agent defenders make sense either, Not thrilled hearing they'd like Green back.

If they can actually move Howard, Right now, you do it though. I mean he's on a 1 year deal, major cap hit this year(almost certainly have to keep some). You just do it, cause the team isn't a playoff team with him. I really wonder what the Islanders talked about or offered. You don't necessarly take peanuts but man, if you've got a mid round pick or two why not at this point in the rebuild? Holland would have the opportunity in FA to get capable goalies. I would trade Jimmy for a 3rd straight up and use the money to sign Lehner and pair him with a veteran like Pavelec or Khudobin.

Last edited:

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
def would love to move howard for something good if possible. Always feel like there are many options that could hit his numbers for cheaper in the free agent market til perhaps one of our prospects is ready for that jump. Howard when on is a beast, just tough to be on consistently for him with injuries/our team as currently constructed. Retain half his salary and some team will get a great goalie this year who should be able to play well with a good team in front of him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
def would love to move howard for something good if possible.
Not me, I'm fine with trading him for a bag of pucks. DO NOT WANT Jack Johnson. That would be a long term, high AAV contract for a guy who has never lived up to his hype. He's exactly the type of guy Holland will overpay and will give a NMC/NTC and then we'll be saddled with that contract for years.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Always said Jimmy to NYI made sense, they need a goaltender badly and if JT stays you know they are going to need to improve the pipes. I would take a 2nd or even a 3rd for him.

As for Jack Johnson, I hope we don't overpay for him. I know we need D desperately, but I never was a huge fan of his game and getting healthy scratched last year and only 52 points in the past three seasons when he had 40 points in 2014-15 might be a red flag for me. Rather resign green tbh.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Always said Jimmy to NYI made sense, they need a goaltender badly and if JT stays you know they are going to need to improve the pipes. I would take a 2nd or even a 3rd for him.

As for Jack Johnson, I hope we don't overpay for him. I know we need D desperately, but I never was a huge fan of his game and getting healthy scratched last year and only 52 points in the past three seasons when he had 40 points in 2014-15 might be a red flag for me. Rather resign green tbh.
no thanks to green. I want to see us get new defenders in here and stop being scared to go with the unknown for things we know don't work.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
nop
Would you rather overpay for JJ? No thanks.
nope would rather we give hicketts a starting spot, and get hronek in as soon as possible. Just because JJ is a worse option doesn't mean we should sign green yet again.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
nop

nope would rather we give hicketts a starting spot, and get hronek in as soon as possible. Just because JJ is a worse option doesn't mean we should sign green yet again.
Well hopefully one of them is ready to man the point on one of the PPs plus last time I checked Kronwall isn't getting any younger.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Well hopefully one of them is ready to man the point on one of the PPs plus last time I checked Kronwall isn't getting any younger.
kronwall just wont go away at this point. Thought last year was his LTIR year but then he busts out a full season of playing on us. Oh and did we have anybody doing well on the point at PP last year? Kronwall and green didn't exactly light it up there haha. For me i think Jensen could prob run the 2nd PP unit until hronek was up and hopefully ready for that duty in 19-20. Maybe give daley a shot at it on PP1 idk no idea about who lights it up at practice. Thought daley had some XP with that in pitt? Still better option than bringing back green and having the same exact d corps as last year that we all hated.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
kronwall just wont go away at this point. Thought last year was his LTIR year but then he busts out a full season of playing on us. Oh and did we have anybody doing well on the point at PP last year? Kronwall and green didn't exactly light it up there haha. For me i think Jensen could prob run the 2nd PP unit until hronek was up and hopefully ready for that duty in 19-20. Maybe give daley a shot at it on PP1 idk no idea about who lights it up at practice. Thought daley had some XP with that in pitt? Still better option than bringing back green and having the same exact d corps as last year that we all hated.
Jensen should never run a pp guy has very low hockey iq. If it was up to me I’d trade Jensen now to free up a spot

Reactions: masta8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->