Speculation: Free agency III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Not a big fan of Radulov. It's like we don't learn from our mistakes too. I can't wait to see the cap hit. Probably gonna be 6-7M so we're likely done before the day even begins.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
People keep making this about last year. You argued all of last year that the reason we were crap was goaltending. You kept saying how it was the only variable that varied from when we were good vs bad. Now you're adding leadership? Bull crap man.

The subject is Subban, and of course his trade relates to what happened last year. We WERE crap because of goaltending, but I'm not talking about what happened on the ice, I'm talking about the issues off the ice that became so bad that our franchise dman had to be traded. Sure the issue with Subban were there from day-one, but you let things slide when you're winning; much harder to do that when you're losing. Every team loses, but few teams go though such Jekyll/Hyde swings as the Habs did. Goaltending was putrid, yeah, but shortly afterwards everything around it fell apart. Plekanec and Pacioretty disappeared, Markov started making a ton of mental mistakes -- and those were our leaders! Our freaking worst players were our captain and two of the "A"s! That's beyond unacceptable! A leader's job is to pull their group up and focus them on a goal. What we saw was a team without any leaders that by mid-January had stopped giving a damn. With real goaltending we never would've slumped in the first place; with real leaders we might've pulled out of it much sooner.

The only other guy tasked with leadership was Subban, and apparently his style didn't gel with the room. Don't know why, I wasn't there, but whatever he tried to do backfired and all this crap about 'rifts' started appearing everywhere. Where there's that much smoke there's fire. Like I said, it's not a question of apportioning blame, it's just an acknowledgment that there was poison in the room and people weren't happy.

This isn't an attitude towards PK that was created last season after that crap show. This management group has had a very weird and bizarre conduct towards Subban from the get go. I mean, do I need to list it out again??..
Here's a quick one:
-Therrien criticizing Subban on AC before becoming a coach.
-Bergevin on PK: ''I want to see more from PK''.
-Big hold out where PK evaluates future in Mtl with family. Mentions how all he wants is to be given his fair value.
-Bridge deal at ridiculously low price.
-Ban of triple low five.
-PK used on bottom pairing with Bouillon.
-PK only used over Diaz on PP after the latter got injured.
-Therrien on PK: ''he needs to become a better person'' and ''he's good, we want him to be great..it's a work in progress''.
-PK wins Norris (does not compliment or mention Therrien/Bergevin, gives props to Molson however).
-Therrien prefers using Murray over PK.
-Therrien has no issues blaming PK in the media for his mistakes, while ignoring others made by weaker players like Bouillon.
-No endorsement from coach or gm for Team Canada.
-Benches his Norris winner, probably the only time a Norris winner gets benched.
-Not so surprisingly, another contractual dispute..arbitration where Molson apparently had to step in and tell Bergevin to sign him.

The list goes on really, could have added more things. The attitude this management has had towards PK has been anything but how teams usually react towards their superstars. I mean really, how does LA speak of Doughty? Chicago of Kane, Toews, Keith? Washington of Ovechkin? Pittsburgh of Crosby/Malkin..heck even Letang? etc...

You don't have to sell me. There was no excuse for any of the above and it drove me crazy. The only saving grace was that PK himself seemed unaffected by it and -- so we believed -- was destined to outlast Therrien.

There has always been a bizarre attitude going around here towards PK. It's just damn freaking weird. You have a player who can make a strong gutsy statement when playing versus your arch nemesis in the POs, how he can't wait to go inside their building after being down 3-1, and take it all away from them, and he actually delivers on that! That's freaking Mark Messier style. That's the type of special player and leader you have, and they treat him as an outcast, outsider and a problem player??? What the hell is going on man.
They did not like Subban. Period. They wanted to move him, were never happy with what was being offered to them before. PK had a no movement clause kicking in on July 1st, they were not keeping him passed that point. It's all there is to it.

It's not about how last year showed some big conflict between players, how we lacked leadership, etc. That's all garbage. They never liked PK.

I mentioned this yesterday: I can understand the need to do something if the players themselves didn't like Subban. Most of us love the guy for the reason you mention, but if his teammates didn't something had to give. It's like what happened in Philly a few years ago with the Pronger/Richards rift. It was a big enough distraction to force Holmgren to trade Richards and his buddy Carter. It killed the Flyers (and of course Pronger was injured and retired), but it had to be done. These things aren't hockey trades, they're personality trades. Locker room chemistry is important, and if Subban was as negative an influence as the rumours suggest, I understand the necessity to act. You can't tell a dozen unhappy players to suck it up for the sake of one player. That's the exact opposite of what a team's supposed to be.

But... if this was a reaction to Therrien's issue... then it's disgusting. I hope not, because while I can forgive moving my favourite player if the team didn't like him, I will never forgive moving a franchise star in favour of a frikkin coach. No coach. Especially this one. That would be gross incompetence. Period.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not a big fan of Radulov. It's like we don't learn from our mistakes too. I can't wait to see the cap hit. Probably gonna be 6-7M so we're likely done before the day even begins.

4-5M/1 year wouldn't be that bad for Radulov... maybe even 8-9M/2 years, everything above... well, it's going to be tough luck for Montreal fans.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Marc Bergevin's *Realistic UFA targets

Radim Vrbata
photo.php

2015-16 stats: 63gp-13g-14a-27pts

Overview: Old, frail and washed up, all the making of a BargainBin pick up. Low risk, no reward type of guy.

Estimated price tag: 2-3 million

Matt Martin
photo.php

2015-16 stats: 80gp-10g-9a-19pts-365 hits

Overview: Luxury 4th liner that hits... A lot. Would perfect make sense because he wouldn't improve our top 6.

Estimated price tag: 3-4 million

Dale "Dutch Gretzky" Weise
photo.php

2015-15 stats: 71gp-14g-13a-27pts

Overview: He brings character and top tier sniping abilities.

Estimated price tag: 3.5-4 million

David Perron
photo.php

2015-16 stats: 71gp-12g-24a-36pts

Overview: Slow and lazy but had skill and would fill the francophone quota

Estimated price tag: 4-4.5 million

Jiri Hudler
photo.php

2015-16 Stats: 72gp-16g-30a-46pts

Overview: Small, aging forward coming off a disappointing season. Prime target for Bargain dollars.

Estimated price tag: 4-4.5 million

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The subject is Subban, and of course his trade relates to what happened last year. We WERE crap because of goaltending, but I'm not talking about what happened on the ice, I'm talking about the issues off the ice that became so bad that our franchise dman had to be traded. Sure the issue with Subban were there from day-one, but you let things slide when you're winning; much harder to do that when you're losing. Every team loses, but few teams go though such Jekyll/Hyde swings as the Habs did. Goaltending was putrid, yeah, but shortly afterwards everything around it fell apart. Plekanec and Pacioretty disappeared, Markov started making a ton of mental mistakes -- and those were our leaders! Our freaking worst players were our captain and two of the "A"s! That's beyond unacceptable! A leader's job is to pull their group up and focus them on a goal. What we saw was a team without any leaders that by mid-January had stopped giving a damn. With real goaltending we never would've slumped in the first place; with real leaders we might've pulled out of it much sooner.

The only other guy tasked with leadership was Subban, and apparently his style didn't gel with the room. Don't know why, I wasn't there, but whatever he tried to do backfired and all this crap about 'rifts' started appearing everywhere. Where there's that much smoke there's fire. Like I said, it's not a question of apportioning blame, it's just an acknowledgment that there was poison in the room and people weren't happy.
There is no proof of these rifts. People always come up with locker room issues to excuse a trade when talent isn't the problem. Eller wasn't that talented, so, we got rid of him because, well, he's just not that good and we needed to improve.
PK is arguably one of the best Dman in the league, so, hmm, ya! Locker room issues for sure!

I mentioned this yesterday: I can understand the need to do something if the players themselves didn't like Subban. Most of us love the guy for the reason you mention, but if his teammates didn't something had to give. It's like what happened in Philly a few years ago with the Pronger/Richards rift. It was a big enough distraction to force Holmgren to trade Richards and his buddy Carter. It killed the Flyers (and of course Pronger was injured and retired), but it had to be done. These things aren't hockey trades, they're personality trades. Locker room chemistry is important, and if Subban was as negative an influence as the rumours suggest, I understand the necessity to act. You can't tell a dozen unhappy players to suck it up for the sake of one player. That's the exact opposite of what a team's supposed to be.
Yes, except we know Richards/Carter were into the partying life. There were pictures of them. Just like there were pictures of Price with cigarettes living the life in the south during the summer. We traded Thomas this year after he was on a video drunk at Beaulieu's bday no??
We have nothing on PK. We have nothing but exemplary attitude from him outside the rink, absolutely adored by the city and fans, leader on the ice when it matters most, there's just nothing on PK.
Did he get on teammates nerves? Ya. I wanted to punch my brother in the fact on a semi-daily basis when I lived with him. He was also the first person I would rely on if I needed help.
I mean now, it'a dozen players who hated him?? Did we even finish the season with a dozen regulars here who knew Subban???
Who's all those players PK got to annoy so much they'd want him gone??
Gallagher? Then why did I see them out together in the Old port during the season?? Laughing and having a good time?
Patches and DD? From interviews, DD seems like your typical friendly loving french guy. I doubt he hated PK, but okay, let's say him and Patches. Add Plek? Okay.
However, DD should be on his way out and Plek is in no position to criticize anyone when his game is so crappy while never stepping up in POs.
Plek also allegedly hated Sekac, but then, he's playing playstation with him at his place. I personally think Plek loved PK. Both those guys trash talked each other like I do with my friends.
So who else? Markov, hell no. The guy kissed him during a celebration. Galch? Nope.
...Geez...I'm running out of names here...is it Mitchell? Petry? Emelin??
Those guys??...

Seriously. This PK was so hated in the room idea is pure crap imo. Maybe Patches did, maybe he was jealous because in a season where he was made Captain, PK remained bigger than him.
But I have a hard time buying it.

But... if this was a reaction to Therrien's issue... then it's disgusting. I hope not, because while I can forgive moving my favourite player if the team didn't like him, I will never forgive moving a franchise star in favour of a frikkin coach. No coach. Especially this one. That would be gross incompetence. Period.

Everything points to Therrien and Bergevin having a problem with PK, not the players.
All the actual facts we have show them having a problem.

Catch-22

Aug 28, 2005
Eric Staal is the player I want them to sign. He's still only 31 and could be great value. Getting Staal would allow us to move Plekanec who is 33 and has a $6 million cap hit...I think he has some kind of NTC so it would have to be worked. We should probably get rid of Desharnais, too. That's lot of money saved.

Then we need a top 6 winger. For me that's Ladd or maybe Brouwer. This Radulov thing is hard for me to reconcile for a team that apparently wanted to upgrade its character so badly that it made a good but risky trade and moved Subban. I don't like these guys have known character issues and who run away every time the going gets tough. Hard for me to believe he and MT will get along.

I'm not interested in Lucic or Eriksson at the prices they're going to command and I worry about signing a very desirable player like Okposo who has been playing with Tavares.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Again Brouwer and mcginn are not th answer If you're gonna praise Bergrvin if he acquires one of these guys then you have your standards set really , really low. Brouwer career high 43 points and mcginn high of 38. That's really not a solution. You really think andrighetto or carr couldn't get 35-40 points playing second line minute and PP and they'll cost less than 800k. You either get Lucic or Eriksson via ufa or trade for a bonifide top 6 or just call it a summer.
Perron /Brouwer/mcginn are all gonna be overapaid junk

I did also inlude the bigger names. A Ladd + McGinn, ot Ericksson + Perron thats what habs need.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How much older and slower will Bergevin make the Habs today!?

Will Shea Weber be making a $10M donation to the MUHC geriatric's ward?

Find out today!!

How many goals and assits does the donation have?

If PK loves MTL and is as charitable as he says he is he will continue to raise funds for the MUHC. Him being a part of the habs should not effect his commitment to the community unless all he said was hot air.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Everything points to Therrien and Bergevin having a problem with PK, not the players.
All the actual facts we have show them having a problem.

Here's the biggest fact: Management committed $72M to Subban for eight years. That's a damn big endorsement. Since then he hasn't been involved with Bergevin in any capacity, so I don't see how a problem somehow developed.

Whatever issue was either with Therrien or the players. You could make a better case that the players were unhappy -- no support from them for World Cup, silence from almost all since the trade, and yes -- the constant rumours of rifts. I don't give rumours much credibility, but when you hear the same rumour coming from multiple sources it carries a whiff of truth. Many people claim Subban was disliked amongst his teammates. Is it crap? Maybe. I won't accept it blindly. But I'm also not accepting that Therrien was to blame based on a different set of rumours/circumstantial evidence.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Backes to BOS. They weren't going to sit idle after losing Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad