Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Perron-Plekanec-Shaw
Weise-Desharnais-Andrighetto

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So?

The end result is not Flynn OR Weise. Its Flynn AND Weise.

Like it or not the Habs only have 11 forwards that can't pass through waivers.

Regardless of what we think should happen with McCarron, Carr etc as of right now MB can fill two forward spots without having to make a trade.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Anyone who wouldn't want Weise back at 2m is a silly pants.

Oh really?

Carr-Plekanec-Andrighetto
Danault-Desharnais- Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

Flynn/De La Rose/Hudon/Sherbak.

How the hell can you look at THAT line-up and come up that we need a Dale Weise? I'd rather spend 6 mil on a top 6 player than 3 mil on a mediocre 2nd liner and another 3 mil to Dale Weise.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Damn....sounds like we're out on everybody except Weise according to Dreger. Oh well

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I prefer Subban as well. For an offensively challenged team like we are, I also believe he was the better fit.

While I believe it's a downgrade from Subban to Weber, I think it's likely that our collapse had something to do with lack of leadership, lack of respected veteran presence and the fact that Subban was at odds with his teammates and a source of distraction.. not saying it's Subban's fault but it was what the situation was. So perhaps, Weber will improve that, and perhaps that improvement will supercede the downgrade on the ice from Subban to Weber.. I think that's the bet that MB is taking here. We will see if he was right.

I don't really agree that last year had anything to do with leadership. Last year happened because we took away the one thing that saved a team who couldn't buy a goal, their goalie. That's really all there is to it.

So there were two ways to fixing this. Get strong goalie again, or get much stronger on offense. Price was coming back, we could also improve the back up just in case. We could also focus on improving the top six, as we should have a long while ago.

Was there some type of leadership split in the locker room? Very possible. People are unhappy when they lose, it's always the case. You don't trade your superstar because of it, you don't choose lesser players over him. At the very least, if you do decide to move him, you don't get lesser value.

But you know, all this is just an excuse. They have been on Subban's case right from the start, and if we look at Therrien alone, he used to hate on PK on AC. They wanted to get rid of PK, that's all it comes down to.

Was our leadership weak last year? Probably. You had a rookie Captain who never really showed signs of being a good leader anyways. If he wasn't this natural sniper, he probably doesn't get a sniff at Captain voting.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Oh really?

Carr-Plekanec-Andrighetto
Danault-Desharnais- Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

Flynn/De La Rose/Hudon/Sherbak.

How the hell can you look at THAT line-up and come up that we need a Dale Weise? I'd rather spend 6 mil on a top 6 player than 3 mil on a mediocre 2nd liner and another 3 mil to Dale Weise.

:laugh: when I look at that 2nd line and big Mac being wasted on the 4th line yeah I want Weise even more.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agreed on all counts. What we saw last season, the extreme swings from great to terrible, was as much a mental letdown as it was a lack of goaltending/scoring. On paper it made no sense how the same group of skaters could play like two different teams from month to month. That's mental, and that's when you can either get back on track with good leadership or sink with no leadership, or the wrong kind of leaders. Habs kept sinking because there was no voice they respected dragging them back up.

Subban was my favourite player, but quite obviously he was disliked among his teammates. He may have been trying to pull the team forward, but they obviously didn't like his style of pulling and instead pushed back. It's a real shame and it's not necessarily his fault, but you can't allow that dynamic to continue. I'd guess that by mid-January the locker had probably become a cesspool of interpersonal crap, and the official leaders -- Pacioretty, Plekanec, Markov -- deserted their stations. When your leaders say "Screw this", so does the rest of the team. That's exactly where a guy like Weber has value. He's a bigger, more mature, much more talented Prust, someone who the players will actually go to war with.

As a hockey trade, this sucks. We lost the better player. Let's hope it was a good personality trade.

People keep making this about last year. You argued all of last year that the reason we were crap was goaltending. You kept saying how it was the only variable that varied from when we were good vs bad. Now you're adding leadership? Bull crap man.

This isn't an attitude towards PK that was created last season after that crap show. This management group has had a very weird and bizarre conduct towards Subban from the get go. I mean, do I need to list it out again??..
Here's a quick one:
-Therrien criticizing Subban on AC before becoming a coach.
-Bergevin on PK: ''I want to see more from PK''.
-Big hold out where PK evaluates future in Mtl with family. Mentions how all he wants is to be given his fair value.
-Bridge deal at ridiculously low price.
-Ban of triple low five.
-PK used on bottom pairing with Bouillon.
-PK only used over Diaz on PP after the latter got injured.
-Therrien on PK: ''he needs to become a better person'' and ''he's good, we want him to be great..it's a work in progress''.
-PK wins Norris (does not compliment or mention Therrien/Bergevin, gives props to Molson however).
-Therrien prefers using Murray over PK.
-Therrien has no issues blaming PK in the media for his mistakes, while ignoring others made by weaker players like Bouillon.
-No endorsement from coach or gm for Team Canada.
-Benches his Norris winner, probably the only time a Norris winner gets benched.
-Not so surprisingly, another contractual dispute..arbitration where Molson apparently had to step in and tell Bergevin to sign him.

The list goes on really, could have added more things. The attitude this management has had towards PK has been anything but how teams usually react towards their superstars. I mean really, how does LA speak of Doughty? Chicago of Kane, Toews, Keith? Washington of Ovechkin? Pittsburgh of Crosby/Malkin..heck even Letang? etc...
There has always been a bizarre attitude going around here towards PK. It's just damn freaking weird. You have a player who can make a strong gutsy statement when playing versus your arch nemesis in the POs, how he can't wait to go inside their building after being down 3-1, and take it all away from them, and he actually delivers on that! That's freaking Mark Messier style. That's the type of special player and leader you have, and they treat him as an outcast, outsider and a problem player??? What the hell is going on man.
They did not like Subban. Period. They wanted to move him, were never happy with what was being offered to them before. PK had a no movement clause kicking in on July 1st, they were not keeping him passed that point. It's all there is to it.

It's not about how last year showed some big conflict between players, how we lacked leadership, etc. That's all garbage. They never liked PK.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Diaz was great on the PP until hee got injured.

Once PK joined the team, Diaz had 1 point on the PP in 13 games, then got injured.
PK had 6 over the same stretch.

Diaz was great for the first six games..that's it.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Milan Lucic?
So lucic is only a grinder now? He produces as much as just about anyone in our top 6 along with hitting and fighting more than anyone on our team can.

Playoff stats are also good.

The guy might be a "goon" but he contributes... There aren't too many players like him.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Lebrun just tweeted that Detroit have interest in Radulov. Wonder if he has an out on his KHL contract (or if he actually signed one in the first place).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad