Speculation: Free agency III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I prefer Subban as well. For an offensively challenged team like we are, I also believe he was the better fit.

While I believe it's a downgrade from Subban to Weber, I think it's likely that our collapse had something to do with lack of leadership, lack of respected veteran presence and the fact that Subban was at odds with his teammates and a source of distraction.. not saying it's Subban's fault but it was what the situation was. So perhaps, Weber will improve that, and perhaps that improvement will supercede the downgrade on the ice from Subban to Weber.. I think that's the bet that MB is taking here. We will see if he was right.

Agreed on all counts. What we saw last season, the extreme swings from great to terrible, was as much a mental letdown as it was a lack of goaltending/scoring. On paper it made no sense how the same group of skaters could play like two different teams from month to month. That's mental, and that's when you can either get back on track with good leadership or sink with no leadership, or the wrong kind of leaders. Habs kept sinking because there was no voice they respected dragging them back up.

Subban was my favourite player, but quite obviously he was disliked among his teammates. He may have been trying to pull the team forward, but they obviously didn't like his style of pulling and instead pushed back. It's a real shame and it's not necessarily his fault, but you can't allow that dynamic to continue. I'd guess that by mid-January the locker had probably become a cesspool of interpersonal crap, and the official leaders -- Pacioretty, Plekanec, Markov -- deserted their stations. When your leaders say "Screw this", so does the rest of the team. That's exactly where a guy like Weber has value. He's a bigger, more mature, much more talented Prust, someone who the players will actually go to war with.

As a hockey trade, this sucks. We lost the better player. Let's hope it was a good personality trade.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Seems like a legitimate concern. After the trade top-2 d men are over 30 and they dont have many options to increase their top 6 talent. Habs arent winning **** in the playoffs scoring a goal per game.

No doubt. Subban brought a lot on the ice. Weber brings different elements with a huge shot on the PP, and some more physicality in front of the net but I'm a little concerned that we don't have anybody to carry the puck.

We need a couple of legit top 6 players and no reclamation projects like Perron please.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Dreger

The return of Dale Weise to the Montreal Canadiens is a real possibility. Habs are a strong contender. Hoping to add more character.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
No doubt. Subban brought a lot on the ice. Weber brings different elements with a huge shot on the PP, and some more physicality in front of the net but I'm a little concerned that we don't have anybody to carry the puck.

We need a couple of legit top 6 players and no reclamation projects like Perron please.

While UFA signings are but one way to add scoring, at this point, I doubt we will see a big trade to bring in a legit top 6 talent. So I'm putting a lot of hope in us signing a big name today. I think what happens today will tell us if we're really going for it in the next 2 years. I must admit I'm both excited and apprehensive to find out what comes next.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Habs will sign Backes, Brouwer and Weise. Plekanec and/or Emelin will be traded to clear cap.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I would definitely welcome Dale Weise back, but we need another player in the Top 6 too.Dale Weise is talented and awesome and having him as an option in the lineup is good.No problem there.Just don't sacrifice slightly overpaying a legitimate Top 6 because you signed Weise.

It's clear this whole thing is going to the ground in 5-6 years, so sign someone and contend now.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Today's menu:

A) Eriksson
B) Boedker
C) -gap-
D) Ladd

That's the 3 guys most likely to have success playing our system and under Therrien.
Very short shopping list but that's expected when you triple-down on a clown.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Man, that would be amazing. Emelin to Edmonton or Dallas for picks.

I would miss Emelin's open ice hits although they have become rarer.

But Emelin was too inconsistent defensively.

Personally I think we're going after Backes and Martin.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
While you're at it add Mitchell or Matteau to be traded away. We have far too many bottom 6 players.

I don't even count him on the roster. This guy will be buried in the AHL, or will be the designated hot dog eating 13th forward.

I did find Mitchell quite competent last season however.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I would miss Emelin's open ice hits although they have become rarer.

But Emelin was too inconsistent defensively.

Personally I think we're going after Backes and Martin.

Yup, you never knew which Emelin would show up. He was either incredible or putrid. There was nothing in between. Can't have that at 4 million.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I swear if Weise is the only signing... I'm going to lose it.

Imagine if Pacioretty gets injured. Now what?

Carr - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Andrighetto - Plekanec - Shaw
Danault - Desharnais - Weise
Flynn - Mitchell - Byron

That's it?

There gotta be more to it...

Adam Spylo

Feb 26, 2012
Yup, you never knew which Emelin would show up. He was either incredible or putrid. There was nothing in between. Can't have that at 4 million.

We trade him to Dallas for Roussel. He can grind and speaks french. :sarcasm:

MJN79

Nov 21, 2008
I was not hoping for a Weise return. Looking at the bigger picture, Weise picked up on waivers, then traded for Danault and 2nd round pick, plus you get Weise again for free.
Basically got Weise, Danault and a 2nd round pick in 2018 for nothing of they sign him.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Did we sign looch yet? That would make for incredible theatre the first time he steps on Boston ice wearing bleu, blanc et rouge. He and Emelin could be roommates on the road.

Seriously, though. Lucic has a strong connection to Gally and, whether a fan of the trade or not, Weber makes the Habs a more desirable destination and brings a higher level of respect to the team.

Therrien doesn't help but that's another story...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
go go go go go go
go short DD,
it's your ufa day
We gon' spend like it's a pension
We gon' ask Weise what he's been benchin'
And you know we don't give a ****
It's not your UFA day!

You can find me in the club de hockey, bottle full of Malox