GDT: Free Agency Frenzy is here - NHLN coverage starts 11 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Comparing De Haan to Mueller is just baseless. If the Devils sign De Haan, Mueller has absolutely zero chance of cracking the Devils top 6. They are not even close in quality or style. De Haan is an ultra-smart and competitive, hard-nosed defenseman who would be a tremendous upgrade over John Moore, who Mueller could not take a minute of ice time away from last year.
yeah but that's a coaching decision, and i think a lot of people would've preferred mueller at times over john moore

Reactions: Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I know it's been talked about a little but if we did sign CDH, what are we doing with Mirco? Is Ray really going to be ok letting a guy he gave up a 2 and 3 for be the 7th dman again? Or is somebody, perhaps Mirco, going to the right side? If so then 1 of Severson/Santini is out. I don't see Ray wanting them out again.

I know you always need 7-8 good defensemen, but if we sign CDH doesn't it seem like Ray would be looking to move on of our dmen?

I would guess that yes, if the Devils sign De Haan, there is a logjam after the top 5 D (De Haan/Vatanen/Butcher/Greene/Severson) which includes another 5 D (Santini/Lovejoy/Gryba/Yakovlev/Mueller). I'd be surprised if two out of that second group weren't moved at some point, while the other three fight it out for the 6D slot.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Don't forget De Haan is made of glass and missed significant time in all but one year. Someone has to fill in when he's out.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I don't really care to land deHaan. I'd rather ride or die with Butcher.
Butcher's in the picture no matter what. I don't see how CDH has any bearing on Butcher's usage unless you're splitting hairs over LD1/LD2 usage. Plus, I expect CDH would help out a lot on the PK.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If anything, De Haan would help keep the pressure off Butcher to drastically improve. It adds an additional safety net for him. We can still increase his minutes from last year to see how he does, but allow for him to continue at the same role as last year that he so greatly excelled in.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I love butcher too but he should start off as the 3rd pairing LD at the start of the year still and still slowly be eased more ice time. And by end of the year be at least 2nd paring minutes. Don't want to ruin him after one good season

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I want De Haan. I want Maroon. and I want Duclair.

I also want a Karlsson+Ryan trade. What would it have to look like from our end? Severson + 1st round pick + McLeod/Zacha + what else?

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Peaking in from time to time while at work and I keep crossing my fingers to see the thread bumped 10 pages or so .... come on come onnnnn.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He still has 4 years at $7.25 mil?

giphy.gif

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I want De Haan. I want Maroon. and I want Duclair.

I also want a Karlsson+Ryan trade. What would it have to look like from our end? Severson + 1st round pick + McLeod/Zacha + what else?

take the full contract and then in a year or two whenever seattle comes up give them a sweetener to take ryan.

win/win/win

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Mueller is just a guy imo. A left handed Mark Fayne. Would gladly be proven wrong.

Mark Fayne was not 'just a guy', and the two play totally different styles. The thing that makes me think Mueller might have some potential is the fact that he is decent with the puck. His play without the puck needs a lot of work, and his play with the puck in the offensive zone also needs work, but I expected a player who could skate and nothing else - that's not the case.

Reactions: R8NJ

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Mueller is pretty good at getting the puck out of the zone and up the ice. He is a decent skater but his offensive game is non existent (so far)

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Mark Fayne was not 'just a guy', and the two play totally different styles. The thing that makes me think Mueller might have some potential is the fact that he is decent with the puck. His play without the puck needs a lot of work, and his play with the puck in the offensive zone also needs work, but I expected a player who could skate and nothing else - that's not the case.
Both 6’3 210 pound stay at home dmen that bring next to no offense and are solid in their own end. Mueller skates better, Fayne was stronger (also had the benefit of playing with prime Andy Greene). My definition of “just a guy” would be someone that literally every team has multiple of. Mark Fayne was above average for a couple years and mostly terrible in EDM.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
if anything, i think a player like de Haan comes in and we see an elevation in play of Butcher and Mueller. probably even Severson and Santini as well.

i think we all can agree that having a defenseman be able to slot some of the younger guys into easier assignments would be beneficial to everyone.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steven you really dislike Mueller and he totally has a chance to make the top 6. As much as I value your opinion a lot in other aspects, this is one that I just cannot agree with.

I agree he has a chance. But the way Mueller was deployed by Hynes down the stretch and in the playoffs (when Mueller was healthy, scratched twice) doesn't lend itself to the impression that there is a ton of trust in him. He would have to make significant improvements to play regular minutes for the Devils this year.

There is a reason that Shero is going after Calvin De Haan. Clearly, he envisions a top 3 LD of De Haan/Greene/Butcher.

And I value your opinion on everything, as well. Just because I disagree with you on a topic, does not in any way mean I do not value your opposing point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA