GDT: Free Agency Frenzy is here - NHLN coverage starts 11 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ground rules: Any NHL Devils signing gets its own thread, pure AHL signings can just go in the Bingo thread. Double-check any Twitter feeds for potential dupes, don't post unverified sources as fact. The ATL thread will be closed through at least today so all the moves and speculation can be discussed here for a while.

Still nothing on JT

But we're off and running with a jog

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Back in the States I wish we still got TSN's coverage of free agency frenzy. Can't stand Rogers Sportsnet and their analysts. If I download the TSN app can I get their program which I believe starts at 11:00 a.m.?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
One of my favorite things about Free Agent signing day is everyone on here either whining about not bringing guys in, being happy we didn't pay someone the contract they signed even though it's fair market value, or poopooing the signings we do make. Complainers want to add but don't want to pay to do it, whiners will blame Ray and say we have an internal cap when it takes a Free Agent to WANT to come here too, and then we could trade for McDavid and only give up Brandon Baddock and some ppl would bitch about McDavids contract.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Bringing my thoughts over here as well.

I trust Ray and what he's done since he's been here, and am sure he's looking for opportunities to continue to improve the team outside of the UFA market, as well. I've mentioned it before, but last year we signed Boyle July 1st and no one else which lead to people panicking before we traded for Johansson two days later.

We aren't in danger of anything if nothing significant happens today. Trust in Ray, he's earned as much with the offseasons he's had in the past.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Mentioned in the other thread, but I'd actually be totally fine with a short term deal for Hamhuis. Dallas fans seemed to think he did a fairly decent job and was still playing 20 minutes a night last year.

He could be a decent stopgap while our savior Ty Smith grooms into Duncan Keith Jr. :)

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
For people that say they can live without jvr for that money. Well guess then the devils are going to be a homegrown team because everyone that goes to ufa is going to be “overpaid” so not sure where everyone’s mind is

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
For people that say they can live without jvr for that money. Well guess then the devils are going to be a homegrown team because everyone that goes to ufa is going to be “overpaid” so not sure where everyone’s mind is

Potential trade partners, like how we've acquired our better veteran forwards over the last 3 years. UFA isn't the only way to bring guys in.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Probably the only way he stays with the Islanders now is if he signs a one year deal plus re-ups for eight more years in late February but that'd be a slight risk on his part

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Mentioned in the other thread, but I'd actually be totally fine with a short term deal for Hamhuis. Dallas fans seemed to think he did a fairly decent job and was still playing 20 minutes a night last year.

He could be a decent stopgap while our savior Ty Smith grooms into Duncan Keith Jr. :)
I thought he’d be washed by now because he’s so old but he’s actually still pretty good. Probably better than Andy Greene lol.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hmmm...I didn't realize Vanek had 24 goals and 56 points last year. I must have just not paid attention since he played on garbage teams.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t mind not signing big ticket guys. They rarely seem to work out. Building through the draft and sneaky trades is a much better formula.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Won’t NHLN have TSN’s feed? That’s how I’ve watched for years.

No, in the States the past couple of years it been Nick Kypreos, Doug MacLean, John Shannon, Darren Pang, ugh. Give me McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun, and even that pip squeak McGuire is better than listening to MacLean's old stories about when he was a GM of the Blue Jackets.

Historical Note: The Blue Jackets never posted a winning record, going 172–258–62 under MacLean's leadership. He is the only general manager in NHL history to serve for six seasons without making the playoffs.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I thought he’d be washed by now because he’s so old but he’s actually still pretty good. Probably better than Andy Greene lol.

Honestly, he probably is. :laugh: A mix of him, Butcher and Greene with Mueller at least makes me feel better about our left side.

De Haan is obviously preferable given his age, but I think Hamhuis would be a nice short term signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad