Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
This board never disappoints. :eyeroll:

eca.jpg

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
There has to be some sort of trade made now right? We don't even have enough to fill out the roster currently correct?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There has to be some sort of trade made now right? We don't even have enough to fill out the roster currently correct?
Sure looks like it unless they manage to sign Siegenthaler and an extra both at the league minimum or thereabouts.

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
he's been shit since his injury, players dont normally magically bounce back

Just trying to be optimistic. The upside is there, I'm definitely not a fan of the cap hit though. Would expect to see a guy like Hagelin or Hathaway moved now as we only have 500Kish space and need to resign Siegs.

edit: Schultz was also plagued with having Jack Johnson as his main partner for the last few seasons. I'm sure that definitely contributed to his bad numbers.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
A one year contract for 1.5 M$

What is the goalie situation in Washington?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I can only go by what PIT fans have said, but it sounds like the "good" Schultz died as a result of the 2018 knee injury and dude has been a shell of himself since then. But, again, that's if you want to go by what PIT fans are saying.

$4M per year just seems like SO MUCH for a player of Schultz's ability compared to the other contracts that have been signed today. But, to quote a very smart man, if I knew anything about the game, I'd be in it.

they crapped on Orpik too...

I don’t love this signing but he did play with the worst bum JJ. He’s won, maybe he rebounds. I’ll wait to see how he plays before I say this is a failure.

Reactions: Calicaps

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
If Schultz can find his offense, I like this signing.

Dillon - Carlson
Orlov - Schultz
Siegs - Jensen

That's a solid D corps, I just hope that we get the good Schultz not the shitty one.
What if we actually paired Dillon with Schultz and Orlov with Carlson and had a more traditional first and second pair? Dillon is there to protect Schultz and then Orlov - Carlson just go out and dominate almost half the game come playoff time. Siegenthaler-Jensen should be pretty solid too. I mean, I guess Schultz fits Laviolette’s more aggressive, puck moving defense strategy. They might need to trade Jensen to clear cap space now though. I definitely did not see this coming.

Reactions: Calicaps

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
What if we actually paired Dillon with Schultz and Orlov with Carlson and had a more traditional first and second pair? Dillon is there to protect Schultz and then Orlov - Carlson just go out and dominate almost half the game come playoff time. Siegenthaler-Jensen should be pretty solid too. I mean, I guess Schultz fits Laviolette’s more aggressive, puck moving defense strategy. They might need to trade Jensen to clear cap space now though. I definitely did not see this coming.

Yeah, guess we'll have to see what Laviolette has in mind. I have to assume that he had some input in this signing.

Reactions: Futures Passed

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer

There has been hesitation to pair Orlov and Carlson together in the past because they were both very offensive minded. I have actually been calling for it for a few years now as I think they are both more responsible overall.

It seems like the Caps are not going to address the lack of offensive output that will come from the 3rd line, so having these two together on the backend could help that 5 on 5

Reactions: Futures Passed

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not sure I get the doom and gloom. It's a 2 year deal, so it doesn't kill us forever, and it seems like everything was turning to shit in Pitt. We've had success with their cast offs before, give it a chance.

I think he's certainly better then what we had last year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Mainly I don't see the need to put yourself over the barrel for this player. Very strategically questionable given the value of cap space in this environment.

They do need more puck movement from the back-end but I'd much sooner have gambled on a Ristolainen, Weegar, Demers or Zaitsev trade.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
There has been hesitation to pair Orlov and Carlson together in the past because they were both very offensive minded. I have actually been calling for it for a few years now as I think they are both more responsible overall.

It seems like the Caps are not going to address the lack of offensive output that will come from the 3rd line, so having these two together on the backend could help that 5 on 5
Yeah and especially when Niskanen and Orlov were together, it made a lot of sense. Orlov is the clear number two d on this team now though and Dillon gives the Caps a mobile but highly physical defensive defenseman to protect a guy like Schultz. I would be in favor of experimenting a bit just to see who has chemistry in Laviolette’s new system. Plus, other than Orlov and Carlson, this defense has a very different look than it did a year or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad