GDT: Free Agency Frenzy 10/9 12:00pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I think they’re still looking for another bottom 6 winger. They were rumored to be interested in Hinostrozza shortly before Schultz signed and I’m sure BMac knew at that point they would be spending some money on a RHD. Craig Smith would be freaking fantastic although they would need to get a bit creative, possibly moving one of Panik/Hagelin and Jensen. Roll with Siege/Fehrevary on the 3rd pair and CMM/Hagelin/Panik-Eller-Smith as L3.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Krug to the Blues, I think he will do well there.

Edit: just realized its the same deal they have with Faulk. they will have those two for the next 7 years at 13mil.
Wow, I've just been sleepwalking through some of these thread titles because I just assumed he stayed in Boston.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
With our Cup window being as short as it is, I dont think we can afford to be giving out 4 year contracts that Brodie and others got. Doesn't make the Schultz deal any better, but yeah. It seems like the days of handing 4 year contracts out like candy are done.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Tanev gets 4x4.5M in Calgary. That definitely makes the Schultz contract sting even more.

Call me crazy but it makes me feel a little better. I wouldn't want another 4 year contract for a 4D, Tanev is good for like 70 games and maybe 20 points in a good year, and while I guess I'm fine with the Dillon-Carlson, Orlov-Tanev pairings and how they function, I don't think it's worth the extra money and term.

Also doesn't seem like the point was to get an extra Brenden Dillon, they already locked up the one and Schultz (on a good day) does things they can't do. In a Reirden defense I could lean either way I guess, but with Laviolette incoming I don't think I'd do that Tanev contract personally.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Call me crazy but it makes me feel a little better. I wouldn't want another 4 year contract for a 4D, Tanev is good for like 70 games and maybe 20 points in a good year, and while I guess I'm fine with the Dillon-Carlson, Orlov-Tanev pairings and how they function, I don't think it's worth the extra money and term.

Also doesn't seem like the point was to get an extra Brenden Dillon, they already locked up the one and Schultz (on a good day) does things they can't do. In a Reirden defense I could lean either way I guess, but with Laviolette incoming I don't think I'd do that Tanev contract personally.

Player A: 0.80 P/60 at 5 on 5 this season, 0.70 P/60 and 166 games played over the last three seasons
Player B: 0.55 P/60 at 5 on 5 this season, 0.74 P/60 and 138 games played over the last three seasons

Guess which one's Tanev and which one's Schultz. I could see the argument for Schultz over Tanev based on the stylistic fit if Schultz was actually still a PMD, but right now he's just... nothing. The only thing he does that Tanev doesn't is QB a power play, and that's not exactly a major need for the Caps.

Reactions: Hivemind

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Player A: 0.80 P/60 at 5 on 5 this season, 0.70 P/60 and 166 games played over the last three seasons
Player B: 0.55 P/60 at 5 on 5 this season, 0.74 P/60 and 138 games played over the last three seasons

Guess which one's Tanev and which one's Schultz. I could see the argument for Schultz over Tanev based on the stylistic fit if Schultz was actually still a PMD, but right now he's just... nothing. The only thing he does that Tanev doesn't is QB a power play, and that's not exactly a major need for the Caps.
Schultz is still a better puck mover with superior offensive instincts and probably a better shot creator for himself. It just makes more sense than signing a Dillon clone, and if Orlov-Carlson sticks you're a lot better off watching Dillon-Schultz than Dillon-Tanev in my opinion.

Schultz's physical body may or may not rebound but I really do have some faith that his confidence in himself (and his partner) is only going to improve. If Orlov pizzas are the biggest being served that's still such an upgrade over playing with Jack Johnson that once he shakes that off and gets comfortable, I think you'll see a pretty serviceable version.

I'm still not happy with having to think about this overall, I love a good slam dunk, but I do think they put some time into researching guys like Lundqvist and Schultz and deciding whether their teams put them in positions to succeed. Like, if the Capitals signed Justin Schultz to be the Jack Johnson instead of covering for Jack Johnson, and instead they want Dillon to cover for Schultz, that's a huge difference for the player.

Asking Schultz to develop into a stud who could carry a pairing was a big ask, but this is a fresh start with the potential for a more focused and direct role, new team, new coach, new system for everybody. I don't like it but I see why they feel the way they do.

Reactions: caps4cup

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Schultz is still a better puck mover with superior offensive instincts and probably a better shot creator for himself. It just makes more sense than signing a Dillon clone, and if Orlov-Carlson sticks you're a lot better off watching Dillon-Schultz than Dillon-Tanev in my opinion.

Schultz's physical body may or may not rebound but I really do have some faith that his confidence in himself (and his partner) is only going to improve. If Orlov pizzas are the biggest being served that's still such an upgrade over playing with Jack Johnson that once he shakes that off and gets comfortable, I think you'll see a pretty serviceable version.

I'm still not happy with having to think about this overall, I love a good slam dunk, but I do think they put some time into researching guys like Lundqvist and Schultz and deciding whether their teams put them in positions to succeed. Like, if the Capitals signed Justin Schultz to be the Jack Johnson instead of covering for Jack Johnson, and instead they want Dillon to cover for Schultz, that's a huge difference for the player.

Asking Schultz to develop into a stud who could carry a pairing was a big ask, but this is a fresh start with the potential for a more focused and direct role, new team, new coach, new system for everybody. I don't like it but I see why they feel the way they do.

Instincts don't matter a whole lot if the guy's lost his wheels, and generating shots isn't worth a lot if he can't hit the broad side of a barn. If he can't outproduce a guy like Tanev who's playing shutdown minutes, something's seriously wrong.

Schultz played less than a quarter of the season with Johnson. Most of his time was with Pettersson. Orlov's an upgrade, but not a massive, game-changing one. I also worry that he's gonna do to Orlov what Johnson did to him in their time together, forcing Orlov to neuter his offensive game to cover a partner who was crappy in his own zone even when he was at his best. I'd rather have Tanev freeing up Orlov to be aggressive than have Schultz forcing Orlov to play like Tanev to cover for his lapses.

Your last paragraph would apply to literally any player they added unless they came from Nashville.

Reactions: Corby78

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Instincts don't matter a whole lot if the guy's lost his wheels, and generating shots isn't worth a lot if he can't hit the broad side of a barn. If he can't outproduce a guy like Tanev who's playing shutdown minutes, something's seriously wrong.

Schultz played less than a quarter of the season with Johnson. Most of his time was with Pettersson. Orlov's an upgrade, but not a massive, game-changing one. I also worry that he's gonna do to Orlov what Johnson did to him in their time together, forcing Orlov to neuter his offensive game to cover a partner who was crappy in his own zone even when he was at his best. I'd rather have Tanev freeing up Orlov to be aggressive than have Schultz forcing Orlov to play like Tanev to cover for his lapses.

Your last paragraph would apply to literally any player they added unless they came from Nashville.
You're going to make me sound like the guy who told everyone how great Schultz is going to be, but... this whole batch at the top is misguided.

Instincts probably matter more for defensemen than any other position and can tack a few serviceable years on the end of a career. Tanev needs a puck mover and rode with Edler and Quinn Hughes, their positions (and roles) aren't even comparable. Schultz... well, with Pettersson they actually tilted play, 51.94 CF% and 54.1 xGF%, which pretty clearly hammers home that if you give him a dependable partner he's going to move the puck to the other end of the ice.
upload_2020-10-10_0-9-49.png

You lose flexibility doing it your way, both of those pairings work and I'll obviously concede that Tanev is better for Orlov specifically, but if anybody loses their assigned partner (injuries, chemistry, whatever) none of the pairings work afterwards. Try to switch the pairings up in the top four and you create a pairing in Dillon and Tanev that can't move the puck and spends all their time playing pretty acceptable defense.

Schultz is a better current PP backup for Carlson, he's better secondary puck mover if they go with a top heavy Orlov-Carlson pairing (and the breakout statistics are in this thread), and was just fine when paired with real NHL players.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

His numbers away from Johnson were actually pretty solid though. Some of the point totals may be attributed to the fact that in the last 2 seasons he had the 2nd and 3rd lowest on ice sh% of his career at 5v5, and this season he had easily the 2nd lowest on ice sh% at all situations in his career. His PDO was also very low (~.97, which is 2nd lowest of his career as well).

He very well could be done, but there’s also a lot of reason to believe that he will bounce back to being a top 4D. He’s getting away from the worst defensemen in the league, his analytics actually bounced back BIG time last season from a disastrous 18/19 but his PDO and on ice shooting% lagged behind, he’s going to a system under Lavi that loves activating defensemen which will suit him well, and he’s going to a team that has historically hugely out performed their xG numbers.

Once again, this signing could prove to be a bust, but it’s hard to look at his numbers last year with Petterson (or anyone besides Johnson) and not see some upside and be intrigued by what he could do with a full season of being paired with Dillon/Orlov.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
There goes Smith.

Would have been a perfect fit on the 3rd line & 2nd PP unit here. At least we have Panik and Schultz!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Lettieri ends up signing with Anaheim. Huge AHL salary is something that Hershey/Washington probably wouldn’t match. Making $425K in the minors is pretty substantial without a one way deal. Plus they’re already giving decent money to Sgarbossa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad