Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Pesce, Roy and Tanev aren't coming here unless we're severely overpaying in money and/or term.

I'd love to welcome DeMelo back to play with Chabot again, but I'm expecting him to re-sign.

Dumba, Lyubushkin and Miller are more realistic targets.

If we want a legit 2nd pairing RD it'll probably have to be by trade.

Yes to Miller and DeMelo; also add Roy to that list.
No to Dumba and Lyubushkin.
The rest of the three mentioned will be expensive and we can do better value wise.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That may be enough money + term for Pesce or Roy. Not sure about Tanev.

Definitely would be short-term gain long-term pain paying either guy 5.5-6.5M until they are 36-37.

Not sure that's wise. Would rather we trade Chychrun for assets and flip them for a solid stop-gap like Jensen or TVR until we can hopefully develop our own competent RD.
A while ago I went through most Cup winners in the salary cap era and was surprised by how few have more than a couple D that they drafted and developed.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would give Matt Roy 6.5 mil a year.

It's an overpayment, but we need an RHD and we need to make the playoffs with this core already.
Depends on a lot of other factors, such as term & other moves... but I agree that we will need to overpay if we want any notable RHD.

Honestly, not sure $6.5m gets it done. He should get multiple offers at 4-5yrs x $5-$5.5m.... including almost certainly one from LAK.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
i didn't watch the game last night this team is past watchable. but i bet it was no different than seeing Chabot get dominated physically.

and the simple fact is that Karlsson is better than Chabot and it's easier to get a rough top 4 ld over an rd. there are simply more of them and less competition for LDs. not to mention karlsson can work with d partners better than chabot.

Where am i saying not to get physical d?

and come on dude Karlssons team sucks so that means Karlsson is bad? if that's true what does it say about brady?
So you didnt even watch. Yet still need to respond sweet man. Karlsson is 33 years old get over it. Karlsson isnt the player he used to be maybe you need to watch his teams play more often.

Reactions: Relapsing

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes to Miller and DeMelo; also add Roy to that list.
No to Dumba and Lyubushkin.
The rest of the three mentioned will be expensive and we can do better value wise.
Miller is not the type of player this team needs. They have to overpay for one of the elite RD's thats just more of the same of what they have. Dumba and or Lyubushkin for the third pair is ok, they play a hard game.

One of Roy, Tanev, Pesce, Demelo or Montour is an absolute must.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
So you didnt even watch. Yet still need to respond sweet man. Karlsson is 33 years old get over it. Karlsson isnt the player he used to be maybe you need to watch his teams play more often.
Karlsson has been such a great addition he has the Pens playing .500 hockey for the year.

Reactions: bert

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Miller is not the type of player this team needs. They have to overpay for one of the elite RD's thats just more of the same of what they have. Dumba and or Lyubushkin for the third pair is ok, they play a hard game.

One of Roy, Tanev, Pesce, Demelo or Montour is an absolute must.
Marino, C. Murphy, Jensen, JVR could be available for trade. Walker and Carrier may hit the market. There could be quite a few depth RD changing threads this summer, too.

As much as I'd like the best player available, there's also an art to building a lineup and I'd hope we could identify a less heralded player who is a good stylistic fit if push comes to shove.

Reactions: NB613

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I have watched enough of Chabot and Karlsson to know who is the superior player even if Karlsson is 33. its not even that hard to tell. maybe you can't see the massive gulf in hockey sense between them. wtvr.

Karlsson has been such a great addition he has the Pens playing .500 hockey for the year.

Brady has been such a great addition he has the Sens competing for the basement ever since he got here.

see how dumb that sounds?

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
also you guys realize that there is a low chance that we will be able to sign one of the top rds in FA? majority of teams will be after them and we would have to overpay for them.

and some of the secondary guys, i mean maybe they work out as a top 4 option. but it is still a big risk.

trade one of Chabot or Chychrun for Karlsson AND we sign one of the secondary big two way RDS.

voila we have one of the deepest and balanced D core in the league.

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have watched enough of Chabot and Karlsson to know who is the superior player even if Karlsson is 33. its not even that hard to tell. maybe you can't see the massive gulf in hockey sense between them. wtvr.

Brady has been such a great addition he has the Sens competing for the basement ever since he got here.

see how dumb that sounds?
Karlsson is turning 34 years old and eating up 10% of the cap last place teams dont trade for these types of players. Karlsson has more hockey sense than Chabot awesome he still isnt a fit. You also arent pointing out something ground breaking. They both struggle with consistency and compete in the D zone thats what this team needs to address big time.

The irony of all of this is you blame Brady who brings the most consistent play of any player on the team outside of Giroux and Sanderson. But Karlssons teams have only underachieving or been terrible for 7 seasons. Insane stuff.

also you guys realize that there is a low chance that we will be able to sign one of the top rds in FA? majority of teams will be after them and we would have to overpay for them.

and some of the secondary guys, i mean maybe they work out as a top 4 option. but it is still a big risk.

trade one of Chabot or Chychrun for Karlsson AND we sign one of the secondary big two way RDS.

voila we have one of the deepest and balanced D core in the league.
Voila a soft as f*** d core. Tell us again how you've never played the sport.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The only way Karlsson works here is a Chabot exchange with retention to even out AAV.

Reactions: Dionysus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Pens were 40-31-11 last year with a bunch of injuries and without Karlsson. This year less injuries , Karlsson added and they are .500. My point was that he is not an impact player any more.

So, have you been watching the pens? I ask, because quoting the standings then suggesting he's not an impact player is a correlation based argument rather than one about the players direct impact.

Interestingly, Karlsson's underlying numbers are all pretty strong, the one area the team fell off is actually the pp. Not sure what's going on there, and certainly he should have helped there, but Letang is still on the team so they could have still run their old units if that was getting it done better, suggesting Karlsson isn't likely the reason for the fall off.

I'm also unsure about your claim about injuries, sites that track injuries like NHL injury viz have it about the same last year to this year.

Certainly Karlsson isn't the guy he was in his prime. Neither is Giroux. But is he still an effective player? Well, he won the Norris last year, and is still putting up respectable (quite good actually) underlying numbers this year. If your expecting elite, well he probably wouldn't be available if he was that, but if your expecting a guy that can still provide top pair performance, yeah, he's still that.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only way Karlsson works here is a Chabot exchange with retention to even out AAV.
I'm not sure I'd go that route, I don't think Karlsson is the answer for us, but I get what you're saying, we only have room for one of that type of player, and I don't really disagree with you there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It doesnt work on any level in any way its not the type of player they are missing and he does not fit into this teams age group its a horrible concept of a trade for this organization where it is right now.

This team needs a culture change from a compete stand point on the back end. Adding an old captain who doesnt play that way certainly is not the way to get there.

Reactions: senswon

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm not sure I'd go that route, I don't think Karlsson is the answer for us, but I get what you're saying, we only have room for one of that type of player, and I don't really disagree with you there.
Totally agree. We need 3 new D this offseason,

Top 4 RD who is steady.

Bottom pair LD who is big and PK to let Klevin marinate.

6/7RD who can replace Hamonic

Using FA only my dream would be

Sanderson Pesce
Chabot Zub
Ian Cole JBD
Stretcher

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Top 4 RD who is steady.

Sanderson Pesce
Chabot Zub
Ian Cole JBD
Stretcher
Something like this would be awesome. Id like to see Klevin get some games here to see where he is at development wise.

Reactions: GCK and Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Top 4 RD who is steady.

Sanderson Pesce
Chabot Zub
Ian Cole JBD
Stretcher
I don't think we can make that work capwise given that we really need to address the goaltending too, but that would be a great backend.

To me, our hierarchy of needs goes like this:

1. Goalie (Saros, Ulmark as trade targets would be ideal)
2. RHD to play in the top 4 (Pesce, DeMelo, Roy, Tanev?)
3. Middle six grinding wing with speed who can pk.
4. Physical Bottom pair D that can pk

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think we can make that work capwise given that we really need to address the goaltending too, but that would be a great backend.

I’d use Chychrun to unload Korpi and sign a guy like Stolartz who will likely take term over money. That leaves 1 year of Forsberg to allow Sogaard to figure out how to keep his net when he moves laterally.

Up front I’d add a couple vet wingers for the bottom 6.

I’d be tempted to add Tyler Motte as a 4th line swing winger who can PK along with splurging on Dakota Joshua

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I fiddled with the above lineup just for fun.

The speadsheet is below, but here are the assumptions:

1. Norris will be in the lineup at some point. This is based on statements from his surgeon that his surgeries of this type are successful.

2. Pinto is signed to a $3 m bridge contract.

3. Chabot is the LD on the 2nd pair. If you go to the very bottom, the Chychrun remains and Chabot is out scenario is addressed. (see Note)

4. Saros is the goalie. Korpisalo is vapourized (somehow) without cap implications.

5. The 2nd pair RD cap hit is $5.75 m. (I could see some suggesting this is low)

Conclusions: Grand Total is $85,803,714

Note: If Chabot is out & Chychrun is in, the total cap hit would be $82.4 m.

1711468000480.png

Attachments

• 1711214126386.png
    1711214126386.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Duncstar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad