GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Stats creators should go back to doing something useful like foreclosing on old widow's houses in 80s movies.

Well sure, you give more credit to guys who did it for a long time.
We can't say that Comeau didn't produce while here though.
Nah, stat sucks, and Comeau's 31 points in one season aren't worth holding a torch for dude. The number's never going to love you like you love it.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Anyone that is judging Max Talbot for being a minimal producer based on a stat clearly didn’t watch him from 06-07 to 09-10. Dude was the definition of a heart and soul guy. 2008 EN goal in the SCF. 2009 big goals. No surprises at all there. I’d kill to have a Talbot on this team.

Instead we gonna talk about Nylander and Hinostroza as being lynchpins for this team. Cos the trash from Buffalo and Chicago is what wins hockey games.
One of my favorite HF moments of all time was Game 5 of the 08 finals. Pens pulled MAF and Talbot came on as the extra guy. Someone in the main board GDT posts “WTF is Talbot out there?” Seconds later Talbot ties it to send it to OT where Sykora called his shot in the 3rd OT.

That post was laughed at for awhile.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One of my favorite HF moments of all time was Game 5 of the 08 finals. Pens pulled MAF and Talbot came on as the extra guy. Someone in the main board GDT posts “WTF is Talbot out there?” Seconds later Talbot ties it to send it to OT where Sykora called his shot in the 3rd OT.

That post was laughed at for awhile.

2008 run was better than 2009 despite the finish. What a f***ing team.

16 goal scorer blake comeau everybody!

You don’t understand. If you played him 30 minutes more a game he would’ve been 16 goal scorer Blake Comeau.

Imagine if we had him instead of Max Talbot in 09?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's because those players are/were awful here last year. Comeau had this thing where he would inexplicably look amazing and then be ass for like 5 seasons, but most of the time dude was a single digit goal scorer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Comeau was the exact same thing as Poni, Jokinen, Comrie, Kobasew, etc.

He scored when Malkin was setting him up in nothing games and then the playoffs hit and he got f***ing wrecked because he was a 3rd liner playing top six roles.

Jussi was probably the best of the bunch and even then he was shit.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Comeau was the exact same thing as Poni, Jokinen, Comrie, Kobasew, etc.

He scored when Malkin was setting him up in nothing games and then the playoffs hit and he got f***ing wrecked because he was a 3rd liner playing top six roles.

Jussi was probably the best of the bunch and even then he was shit.
Nothing games? The Pens made the playoffs by 2 points that year.
If Comeau didn't produce like that, the Pens miss and the playoff streak stops 8 years earlier than it did.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I may smoking the Dubas here. None of these guys were who I expected.

Dubas got some big plays right with the Leafs the biggest mistake imo was Marner not getting lower. I can't say Tavares but it did bump everything and the salary cap really did screw them. Right away the flat cap happened.

I would like EK here. Ek and Letang would be lethal.

EK could do a lot of magic and be that extra elite offensive presence that can be on all the 3 top lines whenever Sully needs it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
No one's arguing what he did outside of Pitt. Just giving the numbers while guys were here.
He was a pretty good Penguin at that cap hit. Postav se faktům, bratře.
Google translate's not doing that any favors, my dude. :laugh: Join the correctness? One of these days AIs will get the hang of Slavic languages, but they're still aways away.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Google translate's not doing that any favors, my dude. :laugh: Join the correctness? One of these days AIs will get the hang of Slavic languages, but they're still aways away.
Yeah it did look sus compared to Polish, which is fairly similar. I shoulda tried DeepL.

Edit: Podívej se pravdě do očí, bratře...
That's the result there. It's an improvement.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
DeepL is miles better, for sure. It's really the only online translator worth paying for at the moment.
When I translate Japanese, I'd say it's about twice as good as GT. Plus they give you a lotta alternative options to build the sentence.
If you're patient and careful, you can make fairly accurate TL's.

Not sure why GT hasn't stepped its game up to match them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
When I translate Japanese, I'd say it's about twice as good as GT. Plus they give you a lotta alternative options to build the sentence.
If you're patient and careful, you can make fairly accurate TL's.

Not sure why GT hasn't stepped its game up to match them.
Because the tech behind DeepL is proprietary and pretty tough to do. To be fair, there are some languages that Google Translate does better (romance languages in particular, and I've heard the Mandarian to English is good too) because their model works better with those kinds of languages than heavily inflected Slavic languages with smaller corpora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad