GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not a huge fan on just counting on regression to means. Eller sounds like a slow 3C. Some of the other guys range from good (Acciari) to indifferent (Nieto, Hinistroza) while Carter and Granlund are still in the opening day lineup.
We liked the Brock McGinn signing too, until he fell off a cliff last year. This cast is different in the bottom 6 vs last year's but I would not say the 2023 bottom 6 looks better on paper than how last year's version would have looked.

We've seen people be as bad as Blueger, McGinn, and Carter every year for the last 5 under Mike Sullivan's system for 20 game stretches.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm not a huge fan on just counting on regression to means. Eller sounds like a slow 3C. Some of the other guys range from good (Acciari) to indifferent (Nieto, Hinistroza) while Carter and Granlund are still in the opening day lineup.
We liked the Brock McGinn signing too, until he fell off a cliff last year. This cast is different in the bottom 6 vs last year's but I would not say the 2023 bottom 6 looks better on paper than how last year's version would have looked.
We know what Eller is. He was on our rival forever. He's exceptional defensively. Even if his scoring has gone to crap, he's still an upgrade there. I get that people wanted a 35-40 point 3C, but that was never gonna happen with Sullivan usage unless that guy moved up for a long time due to a Malkin or Sid injury.
Hinostroza has the best scoring rates out of all the bottom 6'ers we acquired by a large margin, not counting Z because of small sample size. Something like good 3rd liner level imo. Let's hope he's used. Nylander's career scoring is good too and I liked what I saw from him up here. Think with that kinda chance generation and zone time his points will improve.
I'm intrigued by Johnsson a bit, who had still really good production in Utica last year. Hard to know what his health situation is but he might be able to help still.
Granlund's definitely gonna score more if he returns, because he was outrageously bad that way here. Nigh unsustainable. Worse than Carter.
McGinn wasn't as bad as people said as a Penguin. Still popped in 10 goals last year and was among the leading stingy Forwards on the PK. But his 5v5 defense went to crap, so I expect improvement from his replacement there. In fairness though, out of the players I have listed, that swap is the one I'm most on the fence with.
Nieto's the guy I wouldn't want in my 12 Forwards based on what I'm seeing, unless he has a great camp. Not thrilled with that acquisition, but at that cost you can bury him in the minors at no penalty. At least he's fast though, which will be refreshing.

Reactions: Rave7215

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I know there is a common denominator here but I'm not seeing it ...

It's like an unsolvable puzzle that will forever remain a mystery.

Sid and Malkin's fault probably.

We know what Eller is. He was on our rival forever. He's exceptional defensively. Even if his scoring has gone to crap, he's still an upgrade there. I get that people wanted a 35-40 point 3C, but that was never gonna happen with Sullivan usage unless that guy moved up for a long time due to a Malkin or Sid injury.
Hinostroza has the best scoring rates out of all the bottom 6'ers we acquired by a large margin, not counting Z because of small sample size. Something like good 3rd liner level imo. Let's hope he's used. Nylander's career scoring is good too and I liked what I saw from him up here. Think with that kinda chance generation and zone time his points will improve.
I'm intrigued by Johnsson a bit, who had still really good production in Utica last year. Hard to know what his health situation is but he might be able to help still.
Granlund's definitely gonna score more if he returns, because he was outrageously bad that way here. Nigh unsustainable. Worse than Carter.
McGinn wasn't as bad as people said as a Penguin. Still popped in 10 goals last year and was among the leading stingy Forwards on the PK. But his 5v5 defense went to crap, so I expect improvement from his replacement there. In fairness though, out of the players I have listed, that swap is the one I'm most on the fence with.
Nieto's the guy I wouldn't want in my 12 Forwards based on what I'm seeing, unless he has a great camp. Not thrilled with that acquisition, but at that cost you can bury him in the minors at no penalty. At least he's fast though, which will be refreshing.

The guy who only played 26 games while healthy and put up 11 points in those games has the best scoring rates?

Last edited by a moderator:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He got ridiculed off this board a couple years ago.

The guy is a hack and I can’t stand when his stuff gets linked here.

My favorite Dingerski moment is him "calling" the Tanev signing like 5 hours after the official announcement with the wrong terms and then refusing to correct it or engage with anyone who pointed it out here.

It sounds to me like we got a better version of Rico Fata with Acciari, of course Sully could always make him worse.
I'm pretty sure it's near impossible to find a worse version of Fata, actually.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Yeah he basically has his own limited movement clause with his behavior lol. He wouldn’t work in like the Seattle or Vancouver markets, has already flamed out of NY and I don’t see a guy like Dubas being interested in him even for free.
Getting anyone for free or cheap is out of Dubas scope. There have to be at least small overpayment to be even something to consider.

Reactions: Pens x

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1688884271720.png

Last 20 years of Forwards at 5v5. 40 games minimum. You decide who's the WOAT.
Adams with a strong bid, proving his flaccidity over 444 games.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
God, Max was bad at scoring. Him potting 2 goals in game 7 was a miracle.

Not really. Max had the dog in him and was a huge contributor in multiple playoffs runs here and in Philly and a 10 goal 20+ pt guy in a totally different era.

He played 60+ playoff games with us and had 30+ pts in those games. Great player. Him scoring big goals was expected by the SCF in Detroit, not a miracle.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not really. Max had the dog in him and was a huge contributor in multiple playoffs runs here and in Philly and a 10 goal 20+ pt guy in a totally different era.

He played 60+ playoff games with us and had 30+ pts in those games. Great player. Him scoring big goals was expected by the SCF in Detroit, not a miracle.
He also was a big time scorer in junior and led the Q in playoff scoring his last 2 years (first time done since 1988), winning their version of the Conn Smythe even though his team lost. Guy had the clutch gene.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He also was a big time scorer in junior and led the Q in playoff scoring his last 2 years (first time done since 1988), winning their version of the Conn Smythe even though his team lost. Guy had the clutch gene.

Anyone that is judging Max Talbot for being a minimal producer based on a stat clearly didn’t watch him from 06-07 to 09-10. Dude was the definition of a heart and soul guy. 2008 EN goal in the SCF. 2009 big goals. No surprises at all there. I’d kill to have a Talbot on this team.

Instead we gonna talk about Nylander and Hinostroza as being lynchpins for this team. Cos the trash from Buffalo and Chicago is what wins hockey games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad