GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
From your lips to god's ears, LfL.

I don't think we'll make very radical changes at all. I think we're stuck with Granlund, we'll resign Jarry, and we'll keep Petry.

But as always, here's hoping I'm wrong.

Also, I vote this become the official .gif of free agency 2023.

x58hyAM.gif

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I am curious to see what happens with the goalies. That's the make or break for the Penguins.

Other than that I hope to see a couple cheap cap hit gambles on guys that don't immediately sign.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think changing goalies might get us into the playoffs, but I don't think they get us out of the first round without some major structural changes.

Reactions: Sideline

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Keeping Granlund and inevitably icing Carter is a guarantee way to not be a legitimate contender. Hextall f***ed us - not much to do about Carter beyond limiting his minutes. For reasons only known to Dubas, not using a buy out means Granlund will be around.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Keeping Granlund and inevitably icing Carter is a guarantee way to not be a legitimate contender. Hextall f***ed us - not much to do about Carter beyond limiting his minutes. For reasons only known to Dubas, not using a buy out means Granlund will be around.
Not everyone likes using buyouts. He’s just one of them. I’m in a wait and see with Dubas. His only deal so far was a good one. You also need takers for someone like Petry and he’s been rumored on the block, so it’s not like Dubas isn’t trying. He probably doesn’t want to retain, just like not wanting to use a buyout. There’s not much cap space out there, so it’s a little stagnant if you’re not a bottom feeder taking on bad contracts. This could very well drag out and teams circle back for someone like Petry after missing out on FA’s in the next few days.

Also, a lot of the names (hanifin, ullmark, swayman, hellybuck, etc.) still haven’t been traded. So it’s not like Dubas struck out on those deals either. It is what it is.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not everyone likes using buyouts. He’s just one of them. I’m in a wait and see with Dubas. His only deal so far was a good one. You also need takers for someone like Petry and he’s been rumored on the block, so it’s not like Dubas isn’t trying. He probably doesn’t want to retain, just like not wanting to use a buyout. There’s not much cap space out there, so it’s a little stagnant if you’re not a bottom feeder taking on bad contracts. This could very well drag out and teams circle back for someone like Petry after missing out on FA’s in the next few days.

Also, a lot of the names (hanifin, ullmark, swayman, hellybuck, etc.) still haven’t been traded. So it’s not like Dubas struck out on those deals either. It is what it is.
It just seems like such an obvious decision to buy him out when teams will be desperate to unload cap. Plus, you know coach jackass will not utilize him properly. I think not buying out Granlund cancels out the trade.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Very curious about Dubas first free agency, and I think he will do good. Unfortunately it seems that we're stuck with Granlund baring a magical trade, but maybe if we find a good fit for the 3rd line center he can be still useful somehow, but that's just wishful thinking at this point.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
·
1m
Hearing that Ryan O'Reilly is headed to the UFA market. Leafs had interest right to the end but the UFA centre is going to market.

Reactions: Shady Machine

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Can Boston even afford anyone? I’m guessing only if they let everyone walk and can replace them cheap. Then trade a goalie.

I have 0 interest in wheeler. He’ll probably be decent for a year, I’m just over the old dudes.

I’d still like Bunting, Wood, Domi.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This is where it would be nice to have a credible local media to hear scoops on who we might sign.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Can Boston even afford anyone? I’m guessing only if they let everyone walk and can replace them cheap. Then trade a goalie.

I have 0 interest in wheeler. He’ll probably be decent for a year, I’m just over the old dudes.

I’d still like Bunting, Wood, Domi.
I believe the Reilly buy out got them some decent space this year.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Starting to think Jarry will hit the market and the offers won't be what he wants. I think he'll be back on a 1 yr $4M deal to bet on himself. I'm not against it given there aren't many truly great bets to make out there. Definitely need to upgrade on DeSmith at that point though

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Starting to think Jarry will hit the market and the offers won't be what he wants. I think he'll be back on a 1 yr $4M deal to bet on himself. I'm not against it given there aren't many truly great bets to make out there. Definitely need to upgrade on DeSmith at that point though
I mean, it's just easier to burn the jerseys and start following Aussie Rules Football at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad